How often do you change foods?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
6pak
Bully Ambassador

How often do you change foods?

Postby 6pak » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:47 pm

How often do you guys change foods for your dogs? Shady is almost done with a 40 lb bag of canidae. I was wondering if I should switch it up for him, maybe get him something else, but as good. Or should I get another bag of canidae and switch it up next time?

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:50 pm

i switch every time we run out, or almost run out. Usually i simply rotate NV products, but sometimes (lately) ive been buying completely different brands. Personally, i feel its better to rotate, as some foods have things others dont and to get a balanced diet i think its essential.

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:09 pm

That's what I was thinking. Thank you for confirming. :thumbsup:

fattie
Adolescent Bully

Postby fattie » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:10 pm

hmm, i was always told to keep them on the same feed , that it wasnt good to switch.

crazy4pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby crazy4pits » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:54 pm

If I switched foods I would have a mess in the house. Switching within the same brand might be safer than switching brands without gradually fading out the old.

Switching like that can cause the dog not to eat, vomitting, diarrhea, indigestion, heartburn, stomach cramps....

When I do my switches I always mix in 3/4 old, 1/4 new for about 4 days. Then half n half another 4. Then the New competely. I don't want to clean up splatter......

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:55 pm

I have heard that too in the past. The more I thought about it, the more it didn't make sense. However, you should not switch all at once, do it gradually. First 2 days, 25% new 75% old. Next 2 days 50-50. Next 2 days, 75% new 25% old. And on the next day should be 10o% of the food you are switching to.

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:03 pm

6pak wrote:I have heard that too in the past. The more I thought about it, the more it didn't make sense. However, you should not switch all at once, do it gradually. First 2 days, 25% new 75% old. Next 2 days 50-50. Next 2 days, 75% new 25% old. And on the next day should be 10o% of the food you are switching to.

It probably depends on the dog, as well. Some dogs can handle a full switch right away. Kane had a hard time during his switch from Iams to Canidae. I was told to do 3/4 old and 1/4 new for several days, then 1/2 and 1/2 for several days, then 1/4 old and 3/4 new for several days and then 100% new. But with Kane, it took us a LOT longer. We really had to spread it out.

Kane has been on Canidae ever since I switched him from Iams.

mypuppyJack
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby mypuppyJack » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:28 am

I'm lucky I guess- mine can handle a full switch without a problem

My kids feed the dogs and sometimes don't tell me we are getting low on food until the last scoop

For some reason this happens more often than not on a Sunday when the regular feed store is closed and the "big box" store doesn't have Nature's Variety so I get Blue Buffalo and let them get through 40 lbs of that before switching back

In an emergency I have given cat food too which they REALLY enjoyed :)

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:57 am

Loki has eaten 3 different foods in her life. I don't switch unless there is a need to do so. That way, if a problem arises, I know its not due to a change in diet.

Turb0wned
Adolescent Bully

Postby Turb0wned » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:01 am

Ive been changing his food every few months. Tyson is 7 months today and he has had.....

-Nautral Choice
-Innova Large Breed puppy
-Fromm familly large breed puppy
-And now when my fromm family is done im going to try Canidae

Ive never had a problem till this day with any.

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:05 am

Turb0wned wrote:Ive been changing his food every few months. Tyson is 7 months today and he has had.....

-Nautral Choice
-Innova Large Breed puppy
-Fromm familly large breed puppy
-And now when my fromm family is done im going to try Canidae

Ive never had a problem till this day with any.

May I ask why do you change if you never had a problem with any?
Is it the same reason IamaDick posted?

Turb0wned
Adolescent Bully

Postby Turb0wned » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:27 am

Same basic reason yes. Also tyson seems to get a bit tired of the same food after a while. For example when i buy a new one and he hops and goes crazy while im pouring it into his bowl but after a while he looks at it and walks away then a few mins later he will go and eat it. Alot of people never change there food and thats ok to. I also like to know what brands i can give him with no problems. Also make sure if you do decide to change foods after atleast give it 2 months on the same food so you can see if there are any negative affects.

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:34 am

I don't switch the dog food per se...but I use that as sort of a base.

I stick with Merrick Grammy's pot pie kibble.

I mix up the wet that I add with the various Merick wet foods.

Then I add in some cooked meat...generally either chicken or beef.

Veronica also gets alot of people food as training treats...I try to keep it healthy...cheese, meat, sweet potatoe, homemade mac & cheese; an egg on the weekend for breakfast... etc....

I try to get her to eat fruits & veggies...definitly not her thing :frown:

She is a snack food junkie...loves the occassional cashew, tortilla chip, animal cracker...that Daddy "drops"...she really doesn't get alot of that though, I know it's not good for her...or us lol

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:09 pm

i switch food occasionally. i don't think it's good for the dog to eat one food forever. none of my dogs have ever had a problem with switching foods. when they ate raw, they ate all kinds of different things. they didn't have problems with that either.

kazuo
Site Admin

Postby kazuo » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:18 pm

We rotate flavors after every couple of bags, but always stick with the same brand (Timberwolf Organics).

It has always seemed to agree well with Lilo.

Return to “Health Issues”