Managing Hip Dysplasia and diet (long)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Sally_Dog77
Bully Lover 4 Life

Managing Hip Dysplasia and diet (long)

Postby Sally_Dog77 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:07 pm

My 5 year old siberian husky Nadiya has hip dysplasia. It seems to be pretty mild at this point, she has some inflammation and its being treated with supplements and physical therapy. She does have a grind in her legs. While she's not extremely overweight, she needs to lose a few pounds. She's right about 60, but I'd like to have her at right around 52. 52 was her best weight, in my opinion. Just enough. I'm hoping to get her back to that weight.

She gained the extra weight when she started just 'quitting' and laying down during routine walks. I didn't know if she had pulled her ACL or something
(it only seemed to be one leg that was affected), so I kept her quiet for a month or two while I came up with the money needed for X-Rays and a possible ACL repair. It didn't help that one of my reptiles got sick AND I found a sick kitten all in the same month, and it left me about $350 in the hole... lol We're good now.

Any way, she gained the extra weight during that time of little activity. She was getting 2 cups a day of Nutro Natural Choice (not my favorite, but that's what the other dogs are eating). I'd rather have her on Timberwolf because she loves it and costs a lot less to feed in the long run. We tried it for a while with all the dogs, but one formula wasn't working for everyone. My mom was buying the Nutro then because of my other emergencies and that's what she is feeding her dogs, so Nadiya got to eat it too. She didn't do bad on it at all, but it takes more of it to feed her.

After we found out what the problem was with her leg (both hips are actually bad), I decided to try Natural Balance Duck and Potato as a food. She is also on Synovi G3 supplement for her joints, and this other super food supplement called Missing Link, which has extra glucosamine. She is also on 100mg of rimadyl a day.

She eats about 1c of the Natural Balance a day, and since she's picky with her supplements and pills, she gets 3tsps of canned (same formula) mixed in with a half of a chicken jerky treat. While this certainly sustains her and its good she's not losing weight at a rapid pace, I know she's not doing as well on it as she was on the TW because she is losing her guard hairs. Whenever she's not on a food that doesn't quite 'do it' for her, her guard hairs start to fall out in addition to the normal seasonal shedding.

I want her on TW again, but I'm not sure which formula to give her. I've been looking at the Dakota Bison and Black Forest formulas, as well as the Wild and Natural. I'm concerned about the Wild and Natural making her gain more weight because her activity level from now on is going to be pretty moderate. I know it has a higher fat and protein content than the other two. If she is on Timberwolf, should I cut out the Missing Link supplement and just add extra glucosamine? I don't want her getting the runs because the TW may already be giving her most of what "Missing Link" provides.

This is the "Missing Link" stuff: http://alpha-nutrition.stores.yahoo.net ... ijosu.html

I also noticed that TW now carries a canned food, which is great, because all she needs is 3tsps to mix her pills in. The 12 can pack will last me a long time. It takes me a little over a week to go through a whole can of dog food. If I get her a 33lb bag of TW and the canned food, I should have her set for a few months.

I hear very bad things with this disease. Has anyone had a dog that needed surgery? Nadiya doesn't need surgery now, but she might in the long run if she continues to degrade. Doc tis confident she should do well on the supplements. I trust his judgment highly, as he does a good amount of orthopedic surgeries. If someone has had a dog that has had surgery, did it really improve the quality of life? A friend's rottie was diagnosed with it, but she was overweight and the disease took her in a year.

I'm really worried. She's a husky and its a breed that pretty much runs until its on its deathbed. She seems happy enough now, and the supplements are working. She keeps up on walks and recently (she was diagnosed about 3 weeks ago) we've even resumed our normal walk to the park with out any incidents of her laying down and quitting. I don't want to push her at all, but I know she will lay down when she's had enough. She's pretty good at letting me know when. Yesterday it was pretty humid and dreary out, so her joints must've been bothering her. She went out to potty and came back in immediately afterward. Usually she has a short sprint or two around the yard (another improvement, she wouldn't run prior to supplementation) and then comes back inside. We didn't walk yesterday since she just wasn't feeling it.

I'd really like to get her in the pool, but its one of those quick set up above ground pools, and all her hair would clog the cheap filter. lol Getting her in and out is an issue since its 4 feet deep.

I also went and ordered her two gifts from Collarmania and Ella's lead. I decided to splurge on her since I thought she needed something really special for going through all this and the 2 sick pets are well recovered.

Sally_Dog77
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Sally_Dog77 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:01 pm

bump? :oops:

I went ahead and got the Black Forest formula. She's running out of food and I needed some left over so I can make the switch gradual.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:30 pm

my gsd was diagnosed at 9 months old with HD in the left hip. she is now 6 years old, and doing fine. i have had her on either syn flex and then liquid health 5000 for her hips, plus i have limited her exercise over the years.. she is probably not as bad as your husky, but you can manage it.. is there any place totake her swimming for exercise as well?
i fed the TW too before i went to raw, and used the black forest, chicken and herbs, ocean blue and elk.. all my dogs did good on it with the exception of pooping alot more.
most dog foods dont have enough glucosomine in it for helping dogs with hip problems though, so you will have to supplement something..

Sally_Dog77
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Sally_Dog77 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:49 pm

She seems pretty bad. She's already 6 years old and she has quite a grind in her hips, especially her right. Both hips are quite inflamed. If she was diagnosed younger, then I could've helped slow he degeneration more. She just never showed any of the signs before. She swivels her hips and bunny hops quite a lot. She will try and jump the fence still. She's been more active since the supplements, and now she's ready to begin the final recommended dosages of the "Missing Link" and the Synovi. She's on the initial dosages until next week. I'll continue the extra supplement of the ML. It seems like pretty good stuff.

Unfortunately, the only place we have to put her to swim is the local lake, but I wouldn't even swim there myself as it is very unclean. I'm trying to find a good clinic or place that can provide hydrotherapy sessions. She actually hates water, but I'll throw her in for her own good. lol

I've been trying to get her out every night but if I can't she can run around the yard with supervision. She had to be tethered previously, because she is an escape artist. I was walking her every night I could until she got all stoved up. Now that I understand the circumstances she's allowed off the tether.

I've been reading that Omega-3 may help reduce inflammation, and the Black Forest is full of it. It hasn't been really tested though. It can't hurt to try.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:07 am

here are some links i found on hydrotherapy

http://pressreleases.kcstar.com/?q=node/1769

and here is a location of pools in Missouri
http://www.mzjf.info/pools.html

MISSOURI
Animal Rehabilitation Foundation
612 Gravois Road
Fenton, MO 63026
E-mail: holly@animalrehab.net
E-mail: doug@animalrehab.net
Phone: 636-717-1273
Toll Free: 1-866-717-2275

Animal Fitness Center
1841 Denmark Road
Union, Missouri 63084
Dr Ava Frick, DVM
Phone: 636-583-1700

http://www.thebarkleypethotel.com/servi ... enter.aspx

Kansas City Mic Back 2 Baseic Specialties: Massage therapist, reflexologist, animal massage Phone: 816-510-4475
Email: Back2Baseic@aol.com

Kirksville Laci Cook Pawsitive Animalworks lacicook@hotmail.com
Mount Clemens Theresa Randolph Gentle Sensations Canine Massage, Reiki, Healing Touch, Essential Oils tsrand18@sbcglobal.net
St. Louis Wade F Umphries WuffyCare, LLC canine massage
info@wuffycare.com

Sally_Dog77
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Sally_Dog77 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:08 pm

That's about all I could come with too. All of those are too far away from where I live. :( I would LOVE to go to that doggie-spa but its in Ohio! :po:

I'm going to call the place in Kansas City to see what their rates for canine massages are. Better yet, if they could show me how to give one.

Return to “Health Issues”