Don't give ice?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
GSDBulldog
Addicted to PBF

Don't give ice?

Postby GSDBulldog » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:51 am

I've heard from numerous "sources" now that giving ice to your dog can be harmful, as it causes "the stomach muscle to contract and bloat".

Now, I've given ice as a treat for years. I've fed the crew frozen yogurt, ice cream, and dog-"popsicles" without a problem.

Is there any truth to this? I've also heard, in addition to "no ice AT ALL", that you never give ice or cold water after heavy exercise... This makes sense as I've always been told to cool dogs off topically before forcing water in them.

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Re:

Postby InBearsMemory » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:23 am

I've read the same thing before but from what I understand this applies to a situation where your dog is extremely hot, say after a long walk when it's warm outside and such. I've seen people getting stomach cramps and such as well eating icecream or drinking icecold drinks after exercising.

I have given frozen treats (yoghurt, frozen kong etc) and icecubes in their water before and never had any troubles but I do not give them immediately after exercise either. I always wait until they breathe normal (no panting etc.). I wouldn't give anything that cold to a dog that just came in from a good dose of exercise. Even their water is just room temperature.

meginok
Bully Ambassador

Postby meginok » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:55 am

Hmmm, I hadn't heard that. Abbie Lou doesn't like ice, but we give pieces of it through the day to Shame, when we're out on the boat. Usually they're just lounging around, though, not doing anything strenuous.

drtrider2000
Matured Bully

Postby drtrider2000 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:58 am

wow...Can anyone with real knowledge chime in on this? Bella Loves ice..to the point that when i hit the crushed ice on the freezer door to fill my cup, she comes running for a little ice treat.

snatch1
Newborn Bully

Postby snatch1 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:31 pm

they like it becouse it feels good on their gums almost numbs them, DO NOT give it to a dog, or any animalor person who is extremely hot becouse it causes the core body temp to reduce so fast that it can cause cramps bloating etc. etc. i hope that helped and by the way for a every day treat aslong as they are not very hot i suggest it.

drtrider2000
Matured Bully

Postby drtrider2000 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:37 pm

snatch1 wrote:they like it becouse it feels good on their gums almost numbs them, DO NOT give it to a dog, or any animalor person who is extremely hot becouse it causes the core body temp to reduce so fast that it can cause cramps bloating etc. etc. i hope that helped and by the way for a every day treat aslong as they are not very hot i suggest it.

Thanks forthe info.....looks like we dodged a bullet recently...after one of our long runs, i broke several rules (unknowingly) and i floated a cup of ice in her water (over heated dog, ice, and too cold water)....she seemed pretty ill for the rest of the night. nauseaus, and listless. I thought we just over did it, now i know better!...thanks again, these boards are VERY educational!

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:22 pm

I think it's just for if they're really hot, like others are saying.

I know hospitals give you ice instead of water because it's easier on the stomach. I'm guessing dogs are similar in that respect?

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:32 pm

I give ice cubes occasionally after our evening walk...never had a problem with it. My ex feeds his setter/lab mix popsicles after play sessions, and he's never had problems either.

apbtgurl26
Matured Bully

Postby apbtgurl26 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:42 pm

Koda would rather eat ice than have a treat! He's silly like that... But we've never had a problem with them. He doesn't get them after exercise or playing mainly because he refuses them...when he's hot he just wants to plop down in the floor in front of the air conditioner! lol

Chrissie
Newborn Bully

Postby Chrissie » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:12 pm

Ice is a great treat for dogs..Its also good to drop a few ice cubes in the dog bowl...if you have a dog that drinks too much water and are worried of him or her "going" in the house.

*leenie*
Addicted to PBF

Postby *leenie* » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:32 pm

i have never heard of this. ice is emmas favorite tret

chako
Bully Ambassador

Postby chako » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:56 pm

Thanks forthe info.....looks like we dodged a bullet recently...after one of our long runs, i broke several rules (unknowingly) and i floated a cup of ice in her water (over heated dog, ice, and too cold water)....she seemed pretty ill for the rest of the night. nauseaus, and listless. I thought we just over did it, now i know better!...thanks again, these boards are VERY educational!

Her symptoms are probably more likely caused by actually having overheated / mild heat stroke rather than giving her ice.

Robber
Newborn Bully

Postby Robber » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:29 am

Oreo gets his own ice of the icemaker, so we'd have to lock it to keep him from getting it himself!!!

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:19 pm

Robber wrote:Oreo gets his own ice of the icemaker, so we'd have to lock it to keep him from getting it himself!!!

roflmao

ZiggysMom
Super Bully

Postby ZiggysMom » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:45 pm

Hee hee! I've never heard of anything wrong with giving ice to a dog under normal circumstances, but I might avoid it after strenuous exercise, just in case... the only problem I've ever had with ice is when my DORK goes out in the winter in the snow and eats snow so fast (and swallows it before it melts) that it makes him puke it right back up in chunks of still-frozen snow! That can't be good for his innards!

Return to “Health Issues”