How many of you feed your dogs TW or have switched from TW?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Deniselynn
BANNED

How many of you feed your dogs TW or have switched from TW?

Postby Deniselynn » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:50 pm

I was reading Pat's information about TW elk and how good it is for dogs with allergies so I am thinking of switching. The only thing that is holding me back from doing so, are all the people that said how much gas their dogs had when feeding TW. So my two questions are:

1. How many of you feed your dog TW?

2. How many of you have switched because your dog(s) did not do well on it?

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:53 pm

Well, on the other hand, my dogs ALL did great on it, I switched because of cost issues. I never had a gas problem at all....

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:55 pm

Lina, what kind do you feed?

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:56 pm

If you are worried about them getting gas on it (which they might do if it is a rich food) just give them a digestive enzyme for a couple weeks when you first start feeding it. I have found that digestive enzymes work a lot better than yogurt & probiotics with my guys when it comes to gas.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:57 pm

I fed Ocean Blue to my allergy girl for a while. She did not do well on it all. I was feeding a TON and she was loosing weight, in addition to smelling bad and being dandruffy.
I think it is a good food, it just didn't work for her.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:58 pm

Mil, thanks! :thumbsup:

Oh yes, I was going to ask about weight loss. I heard that some dogs lose weight when being fed this food and I definitely don't need Logan to lose weight! Perhaps I am better off using Nature's Variety.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:01 pm

Well, my vet told me to be careful with feeding fish/sweet potato foods in general because many of them are used as diet foods for dogs who need to lose weight. It just got too costly for me to feed her SO much TW and still have her loose weight. She seemed to do better on the Canidae, so I switched back. I'm not sure there would be weight loss problems with other varieties of TW.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:02 pm

Deniselynn wrote:Mil, thanks! :thumbsup:

Oh yes, I was going to ask about weight loss. I heard that some dogs lose weight when being fed this food and I definitely don't need Logan to lose weight! Perhaps I am better off using Nature's Variety.

Try the venison & millet formulation for your allergy doggie. Vicki has HORRIBLE allergies on most kibble, and she ate this one just fine. She also does really well on the salmon & brown rice formula.

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:05 pm

I feed Ella Ocean Blue and other than the occasional large stool, she does GREAT on it.

I feed her it because it's a fish formula, it's grain-free (she's allergic to wheat and barley is a no-go for her), and I LOVE how they pay attention to the ash content of food. That's important to me. The company is not the best, but you know...Ella does so well on the food.

Anyway, I recently ordered some Addiction foods for her. I ordered some Wild Kangaroo and Apples kibble (we're trying that and if she does well on it it will be a TREAT in her rotation because it's $9 for 3 lbs.) and some of the addiction canned foods and some Orijen kibble for her.
I won't be doing Orijen forever, though, unless she sparkles and gleams and does FABULOUSLY on it, because it's just too damn expensive.

Ella gets Prozyme with her kibble sometimes. That lightens the poop piles. :))

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:06 pm

I want to do Nature's Variety, but they have barley in ALL their formulas except Raw Instincts (which gives Ella the runs).
I cannot be positive that she'll have a bad reaction to barley, but her reaction to wheat cost me over $300 and a lick granuloma that didn't go away for over a month.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:08 pm

i gave TW for 2 years. dogs pooped ALOT more on TW then any other food. i fed the elk, ocean blue, dakota bison, black forest and chicken and herbs.

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:10 pm

I don't feed it anymore, but I fed the Lamb and Apples, Elk, and Bison formulas. They did great on all of them. No one pooped much at all-I had to feed my chi something else, because his poops were so small he didn't express his anal glands and I was having to do it every other day.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:12 pm

I guess it just depends on the dog then?

Mil, I was feeding NV venison meal for awhile and they were doing pretty good on it. I always feel like I could be giving the dogs something better. Oh, the torture we put ourselves through! lol

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:21 pm

Do you ever add extras to your dogs' food?

I'll give Ella beef heart, sardines and plain yogurt.

Sometimes she gets homecooked in with her kibble as well. :))

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:26 pm

I fed TW and my dogs did terrible on it. They all lost a LOT of weight on it.
I went back to Nature's Vareity with Merrick every 3-4 bags
Paige was eating 'one cup' of NV or Merrick and her weight was great.
We were up to 5 cups of TW a day annd she was still loosing weight. People were asking me if she was sick, or had cancer, but the day my trainer hollered at me in front of the class because I was feeidng TW sealed the deal .
I could also tell you the long version of the terrible customer service, of my food being delivered a good mile from my house, left sitting on the side of the road, in pouring down rain, no plastic wrapped around it, jsut a ruined bag of TW on the road! I know that was the fault of UPS, but had been waiting 3 weeks for my food, couldn't get anyone to call me back or return my emails so I knew it it was even being sent, but my cc had been charged for it immediately, go figure!
I am now feeding raw, but would go back to Natures Variety or Merrick if I stopped feeding raw, in a heart beat!

Return to “Health Issues”