How many of you feed your dogs TW or have switched from TW?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
concreterose

Postby concreterose » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:37 pm

pblove wrote:I fed TW and my dogs did terrible on it. They all lost a LOT of weight on it.
I went back to Nature's Vareity with Merrick every 3-4 bags
Paige was eating 'one cup' of NV or Merrick and her weight was great.
We were up to 5 cups of TW a day annd she was still loosing weight. People were asking me if she was sick, or had cancer, but the day my trainer hollered at me in front of the class because I was feeidng TW sealed the deal .
I could also tell you the long version of the terrible customer service, of my food being delivered a good mile from my house, left sitting on the side of the road, in pouring down rain, no plastic wrapped around it, jsut a ruined bag of TW on the road! I know that was the fault of UPS, but had been waiting 3 weeks for my food, couldn't get anyone to call me back or return my emails so I knew it it was even being sent, but my cc had been charged for it immediately, go figure!
I am now feeding raw, but would go back to Natures Variety or Merrick if I stopped feeding raw, in a heart beat!

I agree. I've never fed TW, so can't compare NV to it, but even though I feed raw, I keep a bag of NV on hand, I've been feeding it two years (last year just when I forget to unthaw food or run out, or if we go out of town) and the dogs do GREAT on it.

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:53 pm

concreterose wrote:
Deniselynn wrote:Mil, thanks! :thumbsup:

Oh yes, I was going to ask about weight loss. I heard that some dogs lose weight when being fed this food and I definitely don't need Logan to lose weight! Perhaps I am better off using Nature's Variety.

Try the venison & millet formulation for your allergy doggie. Vicki has HORRIBLE allergies on most kibble, and she ate this one just fine. She also does really well on the salmon & brown rice formula.

Ditto that.

I had my dogs on TW for a while. They all did really well on the Ocean Blue formula. Not well on the Elk. Midway through the second bag of Elk they all started barfing, and nothing else new had been introduced into their diet so I assumed the formula was not agreeing with them.

I eventually quit the brand altogether b/c I wasn't certain of their quality control and I had to order it online which I didn't really like. I feel better knowing I can run out and get a bag at the last minute in case of an emergency or something (preparing for a hurricane or whatever), so I switched to NV. They are all, including Riley who I suspect has an allergy to corn, now doing wonderfully on both the Salmon and New Zealand Venison formulas.

Sally_Dog77
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Sally_Dog77 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:05 pm

Wow... I just ordered a big bag of the stuff, plus some canned.
Nadiya has a pretty hardy stomach, and she's been on the Southwest Chicken and herbs before. My bag hasn't shipped yet, but I guess we'll see how things go this time around. Ya'll have me worried sick now! :p

Chrissie
Newborn Bully

Postby Chrissie » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:09 pm

I feed all 3 dogs TW...I feed Ocean Blue, Elk, and I pretty much rotate bags..but they always get Ocean Blue. They also get some grizzly salmon oil in their kibble.

They all do great on it...poops normal, they dont really have gas..unbless its time to go to the bathroom. Coats are soft and shiny..dogs are happy and healthy.

I like TW.. :cool:

pibbles and bits

Postby pibbles and bits » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:11 pm

I did feed TW, but the cost of shipping was outrageous and there is no carrier onisland (they give horrible customer service to distributors too). So my pups are on canidae now :)

crazy4pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby crazy4pits » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:16 pm

I got my dogs off of it. Gas was horrible, and they lost a great deal of weight. I had to feed more not less of it. We had more poo in the yard too.

I will stick with Natural Balance and Eagle Pack Holistic.

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:19 pm

I refuse to feed TW. (Customer service horror stories and the fact there were several dogs on the forum who did really poorly on it - like the drastic weight loss issues - was enough to convince me not to even give it a try.)

We have always fed the NV Venison and loved it. We recently switched to the NV Instinct (grain free) after a friend with an allergy-laden dog had her dog's ear gunk issues/infections/irritations clear up after eating Instinct for a week. Once I heard of my friend's success with the formula I tried it, too and sure as heck: Lola's ears cleared up in days. It was pretty remarkable. Lola is a much happier critter now. :))

Sally_Dog77
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Sally_Dog77 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:32 pm

Now I'm really scared. I'm hearing mixed reviews on it.

I'm PRAYING that I don't have any problems!! 8(

She's never had any problem eating it before, but I got a different formula this time around.

turtle
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby turtle » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:23 am

I've fed TW for about 3 yrs now, I feed the Elk or the Bison in rotation, and will try the Ocean Blue next time for a change.

My dog does great on it, no gas and small poops, her weight is good and her coat is shiny. I also feed some raw meaty bones too, so it's half raw, half TW kibble for her diet.

I order it right from them on line. Never had a problem and it is here in 2 or 3 days. They always sent me an email with a UPS tracking number. I would have been pissed too, if it was just left a mile down the road from me! But that's UPS' fault, they do screw up sometimes.

I know others have had trouble but it works for me. My dog likes the food and does well on it so I am staying with it.

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:30 am

I fed TW (Bison and Elk, also tried the Ocean Blue) for nearly 2 years. My dogs had a difficult time maintaining weight at first but this evened out after a couple months (for a few months though I had to add goat's milk), the reason we stopped feeding TW is because my dogs were pooping 4-6 times a day! It was insane.

My sister's Boxers cannot, no matter what, keep weight on with TW and they had horrid gas.

I feed NV now and am very happy with it.

pjrocco
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby pjrocco » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:28 am

I feed TW to my two dogs and have with previous dogs as well. I switch between Elk and Bison. Both my dogs do great on it with no gas at all. The only thing I don't like is my male poops 4 - 6 times a day. On the other hand my female only goes 2 times a day (after eating), maybe 3 on occasion.

Food is really based off the dog. It's hard to get the feedback you are looking for when every dog is different. My neighbor feeds their GSD mix Nutro MAX and he does great on it! Personally I don't even like walking down an aisle with crap food in it.

mydogroxy
Bully Ambassador

Postby mydogroxy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:09 pm

I also feed TW Elk and am happy with the results. Wednesday is not even supposed to have kibble because she has a storage mite allergy, but she does really poorly on canned and raw, so kibble it is. I've used it in the past for other dogs as well and never had a customer service issue. I'll agree that there is a bit more poop than before, but they're well formed, not too stinky, and she looks good and has good energy!

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:28 pm

Thank you for all of your experiences! It looks like I will stick with NV since the dogs had positive results from it.

Meredeth, do you feed Lola the NV Instinct on occasion or all the time?

1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 1lila1 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:24 pm

I fed Lila TW for about 3-4 months. She did good on it and had a beautiful coat. Customer service really sucks though! Nature's Variety with some fresh meat added is just as good, IMO! And easily available!

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:11 pm

Snoopy's eating TW now. I switched him from the EVO just to see how he would do. I'm lucky there's a really awesome store 20-some minutes from my house that keeps a hefty supply of TW so I don't have to deal with the company's customer service.

So far, and it's only been a week-ish, we're doing awesome. Same as the EVO. almost like there was no switch. But I notice he is shedding a bit less and is a tad softer (as if he could really get any softer without becoming a kitty! lol) He's eating the Wild and Natural Dry. It's grain free as well and its 34% protein so it's closer to the EVO (i like to think lol). I had heard that feeding a food with as much protein as the EVO does for a long period of time can do damage, I wanted to lessen that risk. I may rotate between TW and EVO. Snoopy LOVES TW. he cries for his food as I am measuring it out. Haha. Still trying to figure out how much food he should take in because it's been crappy out and our exercise has varied. Lucky it's not too far off from the EVO.

His poop's been good. Nice and solid. I can't complain.

Return to “Health Issues”