BB has bone cancer

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
lucydog
Bully Lover 4 Life

BB has bone cancer

Postby lucydog » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:42 pm

I found a growth inside BB's mouth Friday night along the gumline and I was hoping it was an abscess or just a broken tooth. The vet says that BB has bone cancer. She cleaned out as much as she could gave me some antibiotics and prednisone. I didn't see the point in doing more tests on it to see what kind it was or anything, because I don't want to do chemo. She said that the tumors just tend to get too large, or the animal stops eating.

True to bulldog form, she almost pulled me down in the parking lot, even though her rear right leg is lame. I called the vet, because it didn't seem to be lame when we went in there, so she asked me to call her in the morning if it was still like that. I wonder what the deal is? I have had zillions of surgeries with my kids and never had that happen. Since it's on the same side as the cancer it has me concerned.

Poor BB only turned 11 this month.

If anyone else has gone through this kind of cancer I would like to know what to expect. Obviously I know what I am going to have to do.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:50 pm

I'm so sorry.

amelie
Matured Bully

Postby amelie » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:52 pm

how scary. i am always afraid of the "c" word. sending good thoughts from alaska. :hug:

Sally_Dog77
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Sally_Dog77 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:17 am

That's so sad, I'm sorry.

I've never had to deal with it personally. Any pets we see at the clinic that have terminal cancer are simply made comfortable and the last part of their lives are made enjoyable. Some people may opt to do chemo, but its really a personal choice decided on by the owner.

Bone cancer is pretty aggressive stuff from what I understand. It sucks that it was found in her mouth. When its found in an extremity, that extremity can usually be amputated to save the dog time and make it more comfortable. We just amputated a rotti's leg before I left on vacation. She didn't even know she was missing one.

11 is still a long time for a dog. So many don't even get to see even their first birthdays. I know we expect them to live longer, but some just have to leave us faster for whatever greater purpose. Just give her plenty of love and let her know how special she is :hug:

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:36 am

I am so very sorry. I HATE CANCER! :crybaby:

*huge hugs*

There are members on here that have dealt with this kind of cancer and I hope they can offer you some information that you are looking for.

lucydog
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lucydog » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:53 am

Thanks for your support. We had our kitty put to sleep a few months ago from cancer in her windpipe, and she was 13 or 14 and didn't seem old at all til she got sick. Again, old but not as old as I had expected. Indoor cats can live to be 19 or 20, easy. Since BB is so small, I had thought we'd have her into the teens. I have been more worried about Lucy, watching her like a hawk, since she's 12 1/2. So this was a bit of a surprise.

But, any day with a rescue dog is a gift. She was dumped on a driveway when she was a very tiny puppy.

Her leg is better this morning. I was afraid she'd had a stroke or something while she was out.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:35 am

I am so sorry.
Thoughts and prayers are with you and your fur kids

EmmasMom
Addicted to PBF

Postby EmmasMom » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:07 am

I'm so sorry. I'll be keeping her in my prayers...Emma will too.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:31 am

I'm so sorry about BB.
Jen

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:24 am

I don't kow if it is the same kind of cancer, but a kid I know found a stray dog a few months ago and decided to keep him,(dog looks to be at leat 8 yrs old, very grey muzzle)
The dog went and got shots, wormed and neutered, then the day the kid brought his new dog home from vet, he found a bump on the dog's gums,
Vet said it was cancer, and removed it, told the kdi it was not the kind of cancer that spreads and if the bump grows back, they will just remove it again.
I hope it is not a fast growing cancer for either of these babies, none the less.
I hate this dam cancer.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:45 am

I am so sorry to hear about BB. :hug:

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:31 am

So sorry to hear about BB. Is the cancer in the upper or lower jaw? Sometimes, part of a lower jaw can be removed.

Meaghan Edwards
Addicted to PBF

Postby Meaghan Edwards » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:50 pm

I am so sorry. :hugs:

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:55 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with you and BB. :hug: I am so sorry.

Ninjakel
Adolescent Bully

Postby Ninjakel » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:08 pm

:sad:I AM SO SORRY TO HEAR THAT!

Return to “Health Issues”