Why is My dog so SMALL?!?!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
PhillyKitty

Why is My dog so SMALL?!?!

Postby PhillyKitty » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:20 pm

Hey,

Im looking at everyone elses dog and mine is like a Chiwawa compared to all!

My dog is a red nose Female. She is 1yr and 2months. She got pregnant when she was about 1yr old and when she was weighed at the Vets office, She only weighed 57lbs!!! (WITH 7 BABIES IN HER!).

Shes so small...I was reading up on muscle building exercises and I followed them...I admit, it worked a little but not what I expected.

She is a very active dog. Shes not sick or anything like that. I know that Females are supposed to be smaller than the Males, but this much?

Any suggestions? Please help.
-Lam

X-girl

Postby X-girl » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:26 pm

This question is asked by nearly every new member of this forum. :)

APBTs are not large dogs. They are not supposed to be large dogs. (My dog weighs 57lbs without 7 puppies in her.) Your dog is probably more correctly proportioned (and typical of the Standard) than most of these "big" dogs you are coveting. Just be happy she's healthy. :thumbsup:

PhillyKitty

Postby PhillyKitty » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:30 pm

ohh...

Ok cool. Yes Of course Im happy that shes healthy :) I just wanted to know why she was so "small".

Thanks for answering my Q:
-Lam

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:55 pm

Actually, that's on the bigger end for a female. The standard specifies a preferred weight of 30-50 pounds for a female in good condition. My girl is 48 pounds chubby. Unfortunately, a lot of people are breeding super-sized Pit Bulls and its leading newcomers to the breed to believe that that's how these dogs are supposed to be. Rest assured, your girl is not too small for the breed. :)

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:42 am

My male weighs 48. I think he is the perfect size, right in the middle of the bereed standard.

EmmasMom
Addicted to PBF

Postby EmmasMom » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:09 am

Mine is a GSD/APBT mix and she's only 50 lbs!

GSDBulldog
Addicted to PBF

Postby GSDBulldog » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:30 am

My APBT bitch is 43 pounds and quite fat. Ideally, she would be between 33 and 35 pounds.

The true bulldog is a small-to-medium sized dog. The only folks you will see who boast about their "pits" size are novices to the breed.

Enjoy her, and be glad you have a NORMAL American pit bull terrier.

mydogroxy
Bully Ambassador

Postby mydogroxy » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:39 am

It sounds like your girl is just fine. My pit bull is about 4 years old and 32lbs. She's small but well proportioned and muscular.

lucydog
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lucydog » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:47 am

When BB was at her prime she weighed 41 lbs. Loretta is a piggy and weighs about 43 lbs. I get asked all the time if they are fully grown, how old they are, etc. I am proud to tell people that they look as the breed did 100 years ago.

The thing is, these dogs are so strong, I personally don't want one any bigger than that. BB only weighs 36 lbs., is 11, and has cancer, and she can still pull me down. I can't imagine handling a 100 lb. one, and I am pretty strong and tenacious for a girl, and have been handling bulldogs for 12 years.

amyd
Bully Ambassador

Postby amyd » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:29 am

My Dena is between 32 and 36 lbs.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:31 am

and what are you going to do with the puppies she is carrying? was this a planned breeding?
why would you breed a 1 year old dog who hasnt fully matured yet??

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:05 pm

Your dog sounds just right. My boy is about 52lbs and I kinda wish he was smaller like the other pit bulls I have had in the past (35-45lbs). IMO the smaller dogs are more convenient. They are less scary looking (to people with the pit bull fear) and are easy to move around. FTR I still love my big galoot.

PhillyKitty

Postby PhillyKitty » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:38 pm

The Pregnancy was an Accident...

I brought her to a BBQ and my friends dog was there. We turned our back for 1 second and BOOM...

She only went through 1 heat. The Vet says shes okay tho. I had to sell all of the dogs b/c my landlord was not having it. I sold 4 of them to my friends and 3 of them to neighbors (So I still get to see my babies :) )

Thanks again you guys :thumbsup:,
-Lam

p.s. Has anyone ever heard of Nuvet supplements? Its supposed to add muscle to your bully (???). Im thinking about trying it. Anyone ever use it?

https://www.nuvetlabs.com

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:46 pm

the only thing that adds muscle is work and genetics
don't waste your money on that b.s, spay your dog if she still needs it instead.

Hoss
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby Hoss » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:15 pm

pblove wrote:the only thing that adds muscle is work and genetics
don't waste your money on that b.s, spay your dog if she still needs it instead.

:goodpost: :goodpost:

Return to “Health Issues”