Torn ACL in More than 1 Leg

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
HickGirl
Adolescent Bully

Torn ACL in More than 1 Leg

Postby HickGirl » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:26 pm

I am doing some research on torn acl tendons. The more people I talk to, the more I find that after they have surgery done on their dog...then maybe 6 months or so down the road, the dog tears the acl tendon on the other leg. So I am doing a bit of a poll here. How common is this? Anyone else on this board have a dog that ended up tearing acls in both hind legs?

Thanks,
Jen

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:50 pm

not both ACL/legs here
my dog tore one lACL/leg, got the surgery, but about 2 years later tore the same ACL/ leg again.

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:04 pm

I have been told that it is more likely than not for a dog that has one torn ACL, will eventually tear the other due to favoring of the 'bad' leg. The vet I have been speaking with about Gypsy told me that I should expect to get her the surgery for the other knee later down the road, if she remains an active dog.

So, yes, I have to agree that it IS common for both ACL's to be ruptured. I can't say I agree with the definite time frame, or that it WILL happen, but it is likely.

Ket

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:39 pm

That's my Zoe. She tore both. Had her right fixed in 12/06 and in 4/07 her left tore. So she has had surgery on both.
I was also told females are more likely to tear the ligament than males.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:19 pm

I had a dog that tore one (had it fixed) and then about 1yr later tore the other, and back to the vet we went.

MaGeeDog
Newborn Bully

Postby MaGeeDog » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:27 pm

Ditto.....

MaGee did one, then the other ten months later, then the first one again about a year after that. However, with my guy, I think poor breeding is at fault.

Sariss
Bully Ambassador

Postby Sariss » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:47 pm

I notice it quite frequently, and we do a lot of ACL surgeries at my clinic.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:22 am

My dogs odd, he tore both, had both repaired at the same time. Anyhow, yes, it's VERY common. A couple of things figure into this. First is the already mentioned fact that the dog will put more strain on the other leg (good) one during recovery, but that doesn't account for dogs that blow ACL's on the other leg years after original surgeries, does it? My surgeon explained it like this...... Very, very few of the ACL ruptures she sees are actually caused by trauma (like the dog stepped in a hole while running) most are cuased by structural issues. So, if the dog, structurally, put enough pressure on the one leg doing pretty ordinary things like running and jumping, then chances are the other one will go too.
That's one of the reasons the TPLO surgery (Tibial Plateau Leveling Operation) has so much success. It changes the angle of the joint, preventing the forward slippage that leads to the tears in dogs who have too much tibial slope.

HickGirl
Adolescent Bully

Postby HickGirl » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:10 am

I think a lot of it is genetics. This dog is a mess. He is my Rottie (sorry not a Pit Bull). He just had entropian surgery on both eyes. The vet seems to think that he should have the TPLO surgery since he is over 100lbs. He also thinks there is a great possiblity that the other could rupture. Plus it seems that he also is a good candidate for hip dysplasia.

So how do you guys afford two surgeries in a row??? We are already in the hole several grand for all the problems the dogs have had in the last 3 months....sigh....

Jen

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:48 pm

i want to say the number is something like 40% of those who tear one will tear the other? it makes me cry to type that. we're a month out on thursday from luce's first knee surgery. the credit card bill came yesterday.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:12 pm

My co-worker has labs that BOTH have torn ACL's. Her female had the surgery on one, tore the other a couple months after, then tore the first one again. Her male has only torn one so far, but she says he is not as active as her female.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:23 am

Falon tore both of her CCL's (Cranial Cruciate Ligaments) which is a similar surgery to an ACL. Cost me about $2k lol

AmstaffMommy
Bully Ambassador

Postby AmstaffMommy » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 am

My childhood dog tore both ACLs in her hind legs. About a year apart if I remember correctly.

She was a Chow/Husky mix around 60lbs

HickGirl
Adolescent Bully

Postby HickGirl » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:40 am

My co-worker has labs that BOTH have torn ACL's. Her female had the surgery on one, tore the other a couple months after, then tore the first one again. Her male has only torn one so far, but she says he is not as active as her female.

Your co-worker sounds less lucky than we are with dog problems/injuries. I can't believe the lab tore the one again that had already had surgery. What do they do in that case? Surgery yet again? I can't imagine trying to keep a dog still through all those surgery recup times...

Falon tore both of her CCL's (Cranial Cruciate Ligaments) which is a similar surgery to an ACL. Cost me about $2k

I feel your pain. They are quoting me at about $3000.00 due to my Rottie's size. I'd put him on a diet, but he is too lean as it is (unlike my portly little Pit Bull - Rocksy).

Jen

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:47 am

Yep, she got the surgery again. She is almost in the poor house dealing with these dogs.

Return to “Health Issues”