difference between puppy and adult food?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
mr_ace5288
Newborn Bully

difference between puppy and adult food?

Postby mr_ace5288 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:44 pm

what are the main differences between puppy foods?

ive bought three 15kg bags of eukanuba, one for large puppy's and one for puppy all breeds, and even one that was split a little so got it cheap which is an adult eukanuba bag, what are the differences?

ive heard of people feeding adult from beginning but what would be the differences between all bags? ive read labels and they sound pretty much the same.

beckerhead
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby beckerhead » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:41 pm

First, let me say that there are MANY foods better than Eukanuba. Use it if you want, but I wouldn't feed it to mine. Honestly, a bag or 2 won't be the death of your dog, it's just not good food at all.
As to puppy vs. adult, well that has been debated quite a bit, and some makers have notable differences in formulation, while others just seem to only change the label, and add a puppy picture on the bag. I feed all my dogs puppy food, and do it purposely because it has what I like, in the amounts I think are best. Others strongly disagree, but, oh well.
For me, high animal based protein, and high animal based fat is a good thing, but some hold other opinions. My animals are fit and firm and happy as pigs in mud.

What Eukanuba formula do you feed? please post it, and its %'s for comparison to other formulas.

:thumbsup:
Beckerhead

beckerhead
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby beckerhead » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:44 pm

Oops, :oops: just noticed the "large puppy" "all puppy" part of the post. My bad!

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:59 pm

The idea is that puppy food should have more protein and fat than adult food as it is made for growing bodies, where as adult food is made to maintain. Whether or not this is actually the case is up for debate. When I had a short stint as a pet food rep that was the logic behind puppy versus adult dog food.
As beckerhead mentioned not all puppy foods differ from the adult variety of the same brand save the packaging. I would recommend reading the labels. and researching what to look for in a good dog/puppy food. I second the idea that you might want to find a higher quality food than Eukanuba.
Good Luck!

Hoss
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby Hoss » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:59 pm

Biggest difference, get ready for this.... most adult formulas just make AAFCO minimums for adult dogs, and won't pass AAFCO minimums for puppies. roflmao Gimmick is all it is.
Large breed puppy will have reduced calcium sometimes, but the bottom line is, feed a good food to your pup, or dog, and it will be fine. A very low quality puppy food is not as good for you pup as a high quality dog food, meant for all life stages.
In the high end "ultra" foods there is usually more hype than anything else, if you use the search function, you should be able to find tons of info to help sort out the good values for you and your pup. :peace:

Ursa Arctos
Forum Junky

Postby Ursa Arctos » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:29 pm

Ok Here is a question along those lines (don't mean to hijack)

Has anyone had a puppy who has reacted badly or poorly due to consuming higher grade puppy formulas? (not pedigree or crap like that)

Hoss
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby Hoss » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:41 pm

1st off there is no such thing as a high grade "puppy" formula. :tongue:

It certainly could happen though. Just because the ingredients may be higher quality, or better suited for a canine, in does not mean that they will thrive on any one certain food.
My Gator vomits several times a day on any food that has grains in it. Took nearly two years to get that worked out. :po: So, good food likes Natures Variety, Canidae, ect. would not do well with him. Excluding the NV instinct.. lol, but I was not interested in feeding him that formula. :peace:
:tongue:

Ursa Arctos
Forum Junky

Postby Ursa Arctos » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:11 pm

What about solid gold wolf cub puppy, and chicken soup's puppy or Merrick puppy plate?

mr_ace5288
Newborn Bully

Postby mr_ace5288 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:57 pm

there are hardly any of the varieties available in america here in the UK, best i can get is eukanuba for 35pounds- 15kg are there other cheap foods available for same as this amount that are better for the pup? that are actually available to joe public? what about importing? but that would cost an awful lot.

mr_ace5288
Newborn Bully

Postby mr_ace5288 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:58 pm

eukanuba 15kg - 70$ here in UK

Hoss
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby Hoss » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:13 pm

Ursa Arctos wrote:What about solid gold wolf cub puppy, and chicken soup's puppy or Merrick puppy plate?

Merrick maybe, the other two are middle of the road at best, IMHO.

Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Postby Gatorpit » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:05 am

I'd like to add, large and giant breed formulaes are not appropriate for pits. Many think that it will help their dogs grow bigger and stronger. Large breed formulaes are made to specifically slow growth, as large breeds that grow to fast will end up with bone and joint probs.

Large breed formulaes have less protein and fat, more protein and fat is better reccomended for fast growers like pits. i actually started all mine off with small breed formulaes, as they have more protien and fat. Switched them to regular at about 16 weeks, and to adult at two years.

Return to “Health Issues”