High protein kibble

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:16 pm

Hoss
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby Hoss » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:55 pm

maximusflys wrote:
Hoss wrote:I will say it again, lol, just because the % is high, or lower, than another food, it does not equate into more, or less levels.... I don't know why this concept is so hard for you people to grasp. Ol roy may have 1% calcium and brand X may have 3%, which ones has more calcium in grams per serving? :tongue:

I get it Hoss!!!! It's just hard to reach people sometimes
roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao

beckerhead
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby beckerhead » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:58 pm

Hoss wrote:I will say it again, lol, just because the % is high, or lower, than another food, it does not equate into more, or less levels.... I don't know why this concept is so hard for you people to grasp. Ol roy may have 1% calcium and brand X may have 3%, which ones has more calcium in grams per serving? :tongue:

Can you PLEASE say it again, just for me, as I SO love your posts.
lol lol lol

beckerhead
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby beckerhead » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:30 pm

According to the Evo site, an active 50lb dog gets 2 cups of food, which will provide 7.64g of Calcium, and 4.44g of Phosphorus. That is for the "Large Bites Formula".
I don't know who this will help, but it does fill in some gaps I guess.
:) :) :)

Turb0wned
Adolescent Bully

Postby Turb0wned » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:07 pm

So with that said, am i making a mistake by feeding tyson (8 months almost) evo?

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:04 am

beckerhead wrote:According to the Evo site, an active 50lb dog gets 2 cups of food, which will provide 7.64g of Calcium, and 4.44g of Phosphorus. That is for the "Large Bites Formula".

My active 55# dog only ate 2/3 that amount. If he ate 2C he'd get fat fast. Now that he's eating TW, he's only eating 1C and has still maintained the same weight. Go figure.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:48 am

beckerhead wrote:According to the Evo site, an active 50lb dog gets 2 cups of food, which will provide 7.64g of Calcium, and 4.44g of Phosphorus. That is for the "Large Bites Formula".

But does anybody know the daily calcium needs of a 50 pound dog? Its also important to note that puppies absorb the majority of calcium they are fed, while adults only absorb what they need.

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:58 am

I guess I'm just "one of those that doesn't get it" because, to me, there are foods out there that are JUST AS GOOD as Evo where the calcium/phosph ratios aren't questionable.
Why risk it? Why not just feed a different food? That's just my train of thought.

I would think that if a canine nutritionist(s) (who, you know, studies foods and all of its nutrients, benefits of different foods and whatnot), and several who all seem to be in agreeance, claim that the calcium/phosph ratios in this food are too dangerous/risky for a pup and the company even claims it, why feed it?
Why not try to find a food which is just as good to feed?

beckerhead
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby beckerhead » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:41 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:

But does anybody know the daily calcium needs of a 50 pound dog? Its also important to note that puppies absorb the majority of calcium they are fed, while adults only absorb what they need.

Adults are recommended to have about 253mg Calcium, and 207mg Phosphorus per kg of body weight. So a 50lb dog would need around 5.74g of Calcium, and 4.69mg Phosphorus. These are averages, and the safe scale is actually quite broad, especially if you are providing adequate vitamin D. A vitamin D deficiency will disrupt the dogs ability to metabolize the Cal. and Phos. even if they are in proper ratio, so once again BALANCE is the key. Conversely, a proper amount of vitamin D will allow the dog to readily utilize the C. and P., as well as handle some excess, and unbalanced ratios as well.

It is like maintaining a car, you need air in the tires, gasoline, motor oil, transmission fluid, antifreeze, brake fluid, power steering fluid, etc., etc. A major deficit in any of the essentials and you have a problem.

beckerhead
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby beckerhead » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:44 am

Ooops, that should read "4.69g of Phosphorus" NOT mg. :oops: :oops:

Turb0wned
Adolescent Bully

Postby Turb0wned » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:08 pm

So, would a 8 month old apbt do fine on it?

beckerhead
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby beckerhead » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:37 pm

Turb0wned wrote:So, would a 8 month old apbt do fine on it?

Is your dog an APBT or comparable size and type dog? If so, then it should be great to feed. The warning was for large or giant breeds, and even a BIG true to form APBT doesn't fit that description. Now if you have a hippo type bully, or a mastiff/pit X or some such critter, then I would take that into consideration maybe. But an average PB in the 35-50 lb. range should do more than OK on it.

I wouldn't feed it, but that is just me. It seems like really good food, but I can't justify the cost vs. content of most "super premium foods" compared to good mid-line products. I am poor though, and if a person is rich enough to buy stuff like that, then more power to 'em. If I was in that position though, mine would be eating a superb premium raw diet anyway, not kibble of any sort. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Turb0wned
Adolescent Bully

Postby Turb0wned » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:58 pm

Well the price isnt an issue for me, i work part time at a dog/cat store and we only sell premium foods so i get a nice discount and a few free things... His mom supposely has lab in her but im not sure.... I know he isnt going to be large hes 8 months, 49-51lbs very active and nice and lean. Hes about 19 inches tall from his paw to his shoulders. With this said, would you still say its ok.

beckerhead
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby beckerhead » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:31 pm

Turb0wned wrote:Well the price isnt an issue for me, i work part time at a dog/cat store and we only sell premium foods so i get a nice discount and a few free things... His mom supposely has lab in her but im not sure.... I know he isnt going to be large hes 8 months, 49-51lbs very active and nice and lean. Hes about 19 inches tall from his paw to his shoulders. With this said, would you still say its ok.

Let me say clearly that I am NO nutritionist, so ANYTHING I say or advise is 100% amateur opinion. That said, I don't see a huge issue at all. Feed it, and if your dog gets sick or worse, you'll know I was an idiot.
Seriously though, it's not like it's freakin' poison or anything, and an active 8mo. old puppy will most likely use all the stuff in that food plus some, so don't sweat it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Turb0wned
Adolescent Bully

Postby Turb0wned » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:53 pm

Thank you, im also going to talk to my dogs trainer which is also a nutritionist and see what she says about it. Thanks again and i will post and let you know what she says.

Return to “Health Issues”