Pitbulls and shedding

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Pitbulls and shedding

Postby niccru » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:20 pm

Hi everyone. I haven't purchased a Pit yet because I'm still researching the breed, hence, the following inquiry:

What do you, as a pitbull owner, do to keep shedding to a minimum? I know that pits have shorter hair and less layers than other dogs, so I'm assuming it's not excessive, but I could be mistaken. Does brushing them on a daily basis minimize the damage?! In my younger years, I had a Chihauhau who, no matter how often I brushed, shedded like crazy. Since she was so tiny she slept with me so there was always fur on my bed, clothes, and pretty much everywhere. It was gross! I know I can't entirely prevent shedding from occuring (or can I?! :P) and that shedded fur is inevitable, but would you consider the Pit to be an excessively shedding dog?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Kindly,

Nicole
niccru

Postby Deniselynn » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:24 pm

I have not had a problem with either of my pit bulls excessively shedding. Diet plays a big factor in the health of a dog's coat.

I have the "furminator' grooming brush and try and brush them once a week.
Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby L Boogie » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:15 am

We do have issues with the dog hair...it could be because they're not on top-notch food since shipping to Japan got expensive. But about once a week, I brush them out with a Horse Grooming Block (basically a pumice stone), and it works awesome...pulls dead hair right out. We still get hair all over the place but it's not nearly as bad. The only thing that really bugs me is since their hair is so short and stiff, it can be a pain to get out of fabrics.
L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby PitFriend » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:02 am

Riley's hair is very short and thin, and she sheds almost not at all. I don't really even brush her except maybe once every couple of months right before her bath to loosen up hair and dead skin. I think a lot depends on the individual dog. We have a little girl at the shelter where I volunteer that has longer softer fur, and she actually sheds quite a bit. I suppose some of that could be chalked up to stress and a not great quality kibble, though. Anyway, a good diet and regular brushing if necessary will help a lot with keeping skin and coat healthy.
PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby lovebeingme » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:52 am

I can honestly say I have never brushed my dogs. All of them have short hair and barely shed at all.
lovebeingme
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Gatorpit » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:59 am

Good quality food will help. I reccomend a curry comb, its a metal loop with teeth, made specifically to pull out dead hair. Some pits shed worse than others, but a curry combing every couple of days will cut down a lot. And it only takes a minute.
Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Postby niccru » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:10 am

Thank you all for the information. I see it varies not only by breed but by dog as well. Doesn't seem like too much of a problem for the most of you though, so I'm glad to hear that.

I'll definitely look into these brushes y'all mentioned and .
niccru

Postby Linariel » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:24 am

When I adopted my pitbull, she shed like crazy. She was on Pedigree. When I switched her food her shedding cleared up in a couple of weeks, and now she only loses fur if she's really excited.
Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby mydogroxy » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:05 pm

Diet does have a huge impact on the amount of shedding. A good diet that works for your dog will cut down on the amount of hair. A good brushing once a week works for us. I use a rubber curry brush similar to this:

mydogroxy
Bully Ambassador

Postby rednoseErnie » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:47 pm

lovebeingme wrote:I can honestly say I have never brushed my dogs. All of them have short hair and barely shed at all.

ditto. I have never brushed Ernie, and only sweep/vacuum once a month.
:oops:
rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby greenkozi » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:04 pm

rednoseErnie wrote:
lovebeingme wrote:I can honestly say I have never brushed my dogs. All of them have short hair and barely shed at all.

ditto. I have never brushed Ernie, and only sweep/vacuum once a month.
:oops:

i brush mac a couple times a month. he sheds a lot more than i expected. it's not like having a lab or a golden,b ut i wouldn't say he doesn't shed, or sheds minimally. people who wear black at my house are always startled to leave covered in white hair, since mac is predominantly brown. i use a zoom groom, which is similar to the brush posted. he loves it.
greenkozi
Bully Ambassador

Postby Gatorpit » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:27 pm

a bit off topic, but when I had my apartment with four cats and two dogs, i vacumed with a canister vac every week, and the canister was literally filled with five lbs of dust and hair evry time. I can't believe how much dust there was!

That was a stellar vacuum though, only 60$ at Wal Mart.
Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Postby pitbullcrazy30 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:46 pm

my dog sheds alot ans hes on a quality kibble.
pitbullcrazy30
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mz_B__Haven » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:27 pm

Dora is on quality dog food. But she also has atopic dermatitis which makes her shed more. I add Salmon oil to her food and it does wonders for her coat. She is softer and has less shedding. If you use salmon oil make sure it's mercury tested.
Mz_B__Haven

Postby grovey2 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:37 pm

clover doesn't shed too much, and i brush her maybe once a month -once every 2 months....when i wear white i get little peices of her dark hair stuck in my shirts if i'm petting her, etc....but it doens't really bother me since i'm so used to my hair everywhere :oops:
grovey2

Next

Return to Health Issues