ACL/CCL question

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Wooderson
Super Bully
Location: Kiev, Ukraine, around the corner from the Republic Stadium, near the downtown MegaMart

ACL/CCL question

Postby Wooderson » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:46 am

I asked this earlier in another topic, but noone answered.

We know that genetics plays a major role in hip dysplasia. To what extent is genetics a factor in CCL tears? Or is it mostly a matter of circumstances?

In other words, to what extent does a dog pass on a tendency to tear ligaments?

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:58 am

Straight stifles tend to increase the likelihood of tearing. I think you see it less in well angulated dogs. I realize that isn't exactly what you're asking. Other than that, I haven't noticed real familial connections, and I do try to pay attention to this, because I too think there's a genetic component. While I no longer breed, I'm still active in the ab world, and it is a relatively common issue for them as well.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:46 am

Unlike with people, cruciate tears are usually NOT trauma related, although they can be. Therefore genetics probably plays a huge role, but I don't think anyone has figured it out yet, and there isn't really any early testing like there is for hip displasia. You either have a torn ligament or you don't.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:43 am

Not really genetic, but my vet told me females are more likely to tear the CCL than males. It has to due with estrogen levels, she said SHe did not mention a specific study.

jewelsdaddy
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

ccl

Postby jewelsdaddy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:04 pm

Anybody had their dogs not show signs of a torn CCL? Like limping, favoring one leg over the other. But, did in fact have a torn CCL!

Our male tore both of his.

ZiggysMom
Super Bully

Postby ZiggysMom » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:36 pm

Sometimes it's harder to tell when they tear both at once, because they can't effectively limp on both sides at the same time! Also, some dogs are just more stoic than others and will pretend it doesn't hurt.

It's also possible to have a partial tear, which usually hurts when it first happens then gets mostly better with time (though often not completely back to normal), but they often repeatedly tear little bits until the whole thing goes unless they get a really long solid rest period after the first partial tear.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:45 pm

I am thinking genetics plays a big role as it is actually very common. Falon, my rescue, has bilateral cruciate tears (aka she tore both) and is getting her first surgery on her left leg on Tuesday.

Return to “Health Issues”