~*Dog Allergies*~

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
jlibos

~*Dog Allergies*~

Postby jlibos » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:01 pm

Hey Everyone! George and I are back.

Briefly in my introduction I asked if anyone knew about dog allergies....so let me be more specific.

We (my family) have had George for about a year and a half now. And we moved in with my father a year ago. Well just these past couple of weeks he (my father) has started sneexing real bad, puffy, red swollen eyes, and he sounds terrible as well. My father told me that he thinks he is allergic to George and that I may have to get rid of him. :po:
:crybaby:
Well for my children and I, THAT IS OUT OF THE QUESTION.

WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IS IF ANY OF YOU ARE LIVING WITH DOG ALLERGIES AND WHAT YOU DO OR HAVE DONE. IS THERE A WAY THAT HE CAN CONTINUE TO LIVE WITH GEORGE EVEN THOUGH HE HAS ALLERGIES?

Thanks to all who help me out here.... :bowdown:

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:06 pm

i am allergic to anything with fur or feathers, plus air borne crap . i just take benadryl.. for your dad, there is this stuff called AllerPet D.. its for people with allergies to dogs. you wipe the liquid on the dog, and it helps control the dander.. you can also brush your dog more outside, and bath him as well, plus vaccumm more.. most people with allergies to animals over time build up an immune system to them, so your dad might get better with time.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:08 pm

Regular bathing helps in some people who are allergic , at least for cats that makes a huge difference.. maybe in dogs it does too to keep down the dander?

Hopefully (!) others with better ideas will chip in!

I know I wouldnt get rid of my dog(s) either.

(ps I am allergic to dogs, I just pop sudafed when I am stuffy.sneezy and benedryl at night zzzzzzzzzzzmakes ya tired)

jlibos

Postby jlibos » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:10 pm

Thank you!
I will most def. check that stuff out. Sadly, I brush George every day outside...he loves gettign groomed and I use an oatmeal shampoo on his skin once a week. I vacuum everyday, sometimes twice a day...I HATE HAVING CARPET....my next thing was to check into HEPA Filter???

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:17 pm

i'm allergic to my dog and my cat. i use a combination of zyrtec, frequent vacuuming and sucking it up like a man.

its been working for me so far.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:19 pm

hepa filters will work great too..

jlibos

Postby jlibos » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:24 pm

:)
Thank you Maryellen and everyone for all the great advice.... Ij ust hope and pray that what I tell my father sits well with him. He is not a bog dog fan as it is.

Even though growing up we always had a dog...first a golden retriever, than an Irish Wolfhound, a great Pyrenese and now I have my babii George. Who rocks! 8)

coweatchicken

Postby coweatchicken » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:44 pm

My mom has allergies to everything (sometimes I think she's making it up) and we all swear by HEPA filters on the vacuum and they bought an Oreck air purifier that seems to work great. For the past year she's only had seasonal allergies from the outside pollen.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Could he get tested for allergies and get shots?

jlibos

Postby jlibos » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:13 am

Do the shots work? He is 66 years old and he is generally healthy, so I wonder would those work. I also noticed that he is not sneezing anymore, well atleast for the past two days. But everytime that he gets "sick" he immediately claims that he is allergic to George!

egostang
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby egostang » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:47 am

Simply being around the dog more will decrease the extremity of the allergic reactions. The same thing goes with local allergens...sometimes when you move to a new place or take a trip you'll notice your allergies acting back up even though your home is in the middle of pollen country and so forth.

Curious Pit
Newborn Bully

Postby Curious Pit » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:50 am

I am allergic to dogs and cats. To combat my dog allergies we purchased a very nice AlenAir HEPA filter and I take the 24 hour allergy medicine. Our vaccuum cleaner also have a HEPA filter on it and I have lived predominantly symptom free with our dogs. There are occassions where I get an itchy throat or something but they are few and far between. Depending on the severity of your allergy, however, these simple steps may not help.

For instance my allergy is worse around cats. I will likely never be able to own one safely with the methods I listed above. I would likely have to step it up with the AllerPet Lotion and Bathing supplies or through restricting contact and rooms the cat could go into.

Thankfully with dogs it's not that bad. So long as I'm not doing something stupid like rubbing my face and nose in a dog's hair for hours on end I can enjoy the companionship of a dog despite my allergies.

jlibos

Postby jlibos » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:15 pm

Thank you so much to all who have replied!

I am going this weekend to buy the grooming supplies as well as check in to the hepa items...

Thanks again.... :peace:

mr. beefy
Adolescent Bully

Postby mr. beefy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:53 pm

I've also gotta chime in for the Allerpet. I've seen it do wonders (in tandem with a whole fastitious bathing/grooming routine, of course).

MyBluePit
Newborn Bully

Postby MyBluePit » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:50 pm

Hello Myrtle Beach from Summerville :peace: if your dog has dry skin maybe you can try some Salmon oil or Omega 3 fatty acid pills to help moisturize the skin (and an awesome shiny coat as well) and cut back on dandruff (think of it as Head & Shoulders that you drink).

Return to “Health Issues”