How often do your dogs get upset stomachs?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
egostang
Pit Bull Forum Addict

How often do your dogs get upset stomachs?

Postby egostang » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:55 am

First let me say that I am so NOT a morning person. I hate mornings. Given the choice I would choose vampirism and just stay up at night.

Now let me say how much I like waking up 15 minutes before my alarm to the sound and smell of my dog vomiting on his brand new bed that I only got TWO days ago. :po:

Further let me say how much I like sticking my hand in his stinky runny poo while cleaning said dog bed because I didn't see the second accident.

Then of course he farts and blasts out a little more on the rug. Awesome.

:po: :po: :po: :po: :po: :po: :po: :po: :po: :po: :po: :po: :po: :po:

The only thing strange he's eaten that was out of hte ordinary was a rawhide bone but that was 2 days ago as well. His poo was perfectly normal last night and the previous morning. The bed I got him smells like cedar and it says it has a cedar/cotton filling. I got it from Costco (had seen others on PBF who got their bed from there too).

So that being said...Jack must get sick every month or two or like this. Every time I take him to the vet it's the same story: "imbalance in bacteria, here's some antibiotics and a huge bill". Gee thanks. 3 times that's happened in the last 9 months (how old Jack is).

Is this normal for a dog to have an upset stomach once a month, or even once every two months? He eats blue buffalo, has bully sticks every other day or so (the 6 inch ones) and those dried chicken breasts (ingredients: chicken).

:po: I'm never having kids, one dog is enough.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:28 am

Just my experience, this was my Zoe about once every six weeks. Always at the vet always same thing like you. I switched them to raw in June, and it hasn't happened to her once.
Personally, I no longer feed the dehydrated chicken strips. They are made in China (look under bar code) even thou it says USA. Some people still do, but to me I can't chance it.

Now my Maddie has issues with raw. What was suggested to me by numerous people here is a pro-biotic and mulitple enzyme formula. You might want to try that for your pup even if you are feeding kibble. ME posted one type http://www.smartcart.com/prozyme/cgi/di ... 908#review.
But due to Maddie being so ill and her immune system out of wack, I actually bought this and will use it for a while http://www.b-naturals.com/product_info. ... 3de4d7a66f
It has vitmains plus probiotic and enzymes. Once we are finished with this tub, I will get jsut a regular one without vitamins.

egostang
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby egostang » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:40 am

The blue buffalo has probiotics in it.

And there's just no way I'm switching to raw. Too expensive, too intensive, too much work. I may just try switching him to some other food even though they all seem to have identical ingredients.

This is why I hate posting in these side forums. No one ever looks in them.

egostang
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby egostang » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:55 am

Oh yeah Jack is definitely sick, he's just laying there on the ground at my feet instead of torturing me. :frown:

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:00 am

Rawhides are dangerous and can harbor e. Coli.

meginok
Bully Ambassador

Postby meginok » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:13 am

Abbie Lou pukes once or twice a month. She doesn't have many stool issues, but ol' pukey Lou sure can hurl! With her, I think it's a combination of things, but I think stress is a big factor. She's a nervous dog...a fearful girl who tries to bluff the world with a big, bad exterior.

Shamus gets bad poopies almost as often...probably one episode every two months or so. I give him a natural probiotic supplement that helps some, and usually it's just one or two bad stools before he's perfect again.

I just figure I'm cursed by somewhat delicate GI tracts. Intrigued by raw, but just not able to go there yet. Maybe someday. Heck, I may end up HAVING to go raw...there are exactly two commercial kibbles available in OK (excluding a couple of formulas I could have shipped here to try...too $$), and if Abbie Lou ever starts having problems with those foods, I'll be out of commercial options.

egostang
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby egostang » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:21 am

msvette2u wrote:Rawhides are dangerous and can harbor e. Coli.

Anything can harbor e. coli.

He had the rawhide 2 days prior to the stomach upset.

It's like nothing is safe to give these dogs. *rolleyes*

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:22 am

egostang, people are trying to help you, I'm not sure why you're not happy with the suggestions :dunno:

egostang wrote:The blue buffalo has probiotics in it.

Probiotics in kibble are pretty useless since it's cooked at such a high temp. that the bacteria isn't going to survive. If it were me, I'd try getting a broad spectrum probiotic supplement, slowly add it to his meals and then, after a few weeks, switch to a good quality plain, unsweetened, additive free yogurt for maintenance.

I'd also ditch the rawhide or any other such chews for a while, they can cause major stomach upset in some dogs. Each dog is different, I've got one here who can only eat grain-free foods, no kibble, basically no treats, and any changes cause major GI upset, but we figure it out and go with what works for him.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:04 am

Let me give you a :hug: Having a sick dog is no fun, especially when you have to deal with it in the morning.

My dogs rarely get upset stomachs.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:05 pm

Of all the things you could choose to give a dog, rawhide would be at the bottom of the list. Not only can they harbor germs they can cause blockages and choking.

There's better/safer choices, such as a stuffed Kong, nylabones, etc.

When you come on here and ask for help/suggestions, then blast everyone who gives you help/suggestions, it's a bit baffling :frown:

My dogs do not get rawhides and they rarely if ever have upset stomachs.

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:17 pm

You're probably going to have to experiment a little bit. Consider all of the things that Jack ingests on a regular basis.. his food, rawhides, bully sticks, treats, whatever. And change things up a little bit. If he's getting bully sticks every other day, maybe that's too much for him if he has a more sensitive digestive system. So try cutting the bully sticks back to maybe once a week, stop giving him the rawhides altogether for a while, and just see what happens.

jewelsdaddy
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

getting sick

Postby jewelsdaddy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:16 pm

Sorry you had a bad morning. :sad: My dogs rarely get sick!! Thank goodness! There is nothing worse than being woken up by the sound of a dog throwing up in the middle of the night. Well, yeah there is... not knowing about it and getting up in the middle of the night and walking through the dark and feeling something wet under your feet. :yucky:

sw_df27
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby sw_df27 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:23 pm

my dogs get upset stumachs all the time and once one has it it's only a matter of time before the other one has it yeah the throwing up in the moring is a pain exspecially when they wake you up standing on your bed gaging huh

meginok
Bully Ambassador

Postby meginok » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:06 pm

pitgrrl wrote:Probiotics in kibble are pretty useless since it's cooked at such a high temp. that the bacteria isn't going to survive. If it were me, I'd try getting a broad spectrum probiotic supplement, slowly add it to his meals and then, after a few weeks, switch to a good quality plain, unsweetened, additive free yogurt for maintenance.

I'd also ditch the rawhide or any other such chews for a while, they can cause major stomach upset in some dogs. Each dog is different, I've got one here who can only eat grain-free foods, no kibble, basically no treats, and any changes cause major GI upset, but we figure it out and go with what works for him.

I'm not for or against Blue (they don't have a rice/egg/sweet potato-free formula, so I'll never feed it with Lou's allergies), but I know one of the things they really brag on is that they supposedly add the heat-sensitive ingredients (like the probiotics) after the heat-related part of processing is done.

Just info. I don't really have an opinion.

egostang
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby egostang » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:09 pm

msvette2u wrote:Of all the things you could choose to give a dog, rawhide would be at the bottom of the list. Not only can they harbor germs they can cause blockages and choking.

There's better/safer choices, such as a stuffed Kong, nylabones, etc.

When you come on here and ask for help/suggestions, then blast everyone who gives you help/suggestions, it's a bit baffling :frown:

My dogs do not get rawhides and they rarely if ever have upset stomachs.

Okay, but the fact that your dogs don't get upset stomachs because they don't get rawhides doesn't mean that the rawhides cause upset stomachs. You're assuming the only possible cause of illness is the rawhide even though it was eaten at least 36 hours before he had an upset. If it was the rawhide I would expect it to be much closer in time.

Lots of people seem to have no trouble at all with rawhides. And as I said it was ingested two days prior to him getting sick.

Return to “Health Issues”