How often do your dogs get upset stomachs?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
egostang
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby egostang » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:12 pm

PitFriend wrote:You're probably going to have to experiment a little bit. Consider all of the things that Jack ingests on a regular basis.. his food, rawhides, bully sticks, treats, whatever. And change things up a little bit. If he's getting bully sticks every other day, maybe that's too much for him if he has a more sensitive digestive system. So try cutting the bully sticks back to maybe once a week, stop giving him the rawhides altogether for a while, and just see what happens.

I never know, because sometimes it seems like it comes from nowhere. This was the first time he had rawhide but NOT the first time he's been sick like this. His poo normally seems fine with the bully sticks so I'm stumped there.

Thanks for those who gave sick doggy sympathies. :crybaby:

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:29 pm

Whoa! Your am sucked! I'm sorry you had to do all that fun cleaning. I will have a moment of silence for your struggle.

Django gets an upset tummy about once a mo, or every 6 weeks. I don't worry about it too much cause I get upset tummy about that often. I just feed him bland rice and boiled chicken for a day or two and it always seems to go away.
Now that little punk Ardy pukes on my floor if he hasn't eaten for 7 hours, so I get to clean that up about 3 times a week.
Thank goodness for my little Chloe; I think she has thrown up maybe 3 times in 7 years and has never pooed in the house. Oh, Chloe, how I wish I could clone you!

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:30 pm

when he pukes, is it just one puke or does he puke repeatedly? how does he act?

my dogs all puke once in awhile. sometimes it's food, sometimes it's just bile, sometimes it's bile with grass or bits of bone in it. as long as they're acting ok, i don't get excited about it (ok, i get excited if i step in it in the dark in bare feet, but that's different).

wyldmoonwoman
Adolescent Bully

Postby wyldmoonwoman » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:53 pm

Every dog is different and I don't think there is one magic cure, my dog has a good tummy, but when we were feeding wellness she was very sick with diarrhea and I switched foods a few times and settled on eagle pack holistic fish formula with added probiotics and plain yogurt. Any variation from her diet of kibble in the AM and raw in the PM makes her sick. She will also get diarrhea when she is stressed when we go on vacation every single time, whether or not she comes or I leave her with friends, she gets the squirts!

I had a foster that had problems with diarrhea and vomiting and her adoptive family found out that she has severe allergies and irritable bowel disease that responded with prednisone and prescription foods...but this took months for them to find something that worked for the diarrhea, I tried her on raw while here as per the recommendation fo the rescue and it did not help.

You might want to try a change of food to a low allergy formula (venison/fish/duck and corn/wheat/soy free) to see if that helps...but make sure you switch slowly and load up on the probiotics...the kind that are refridgerated from the health food store or at least do a couple tbsp plain yogurt. Canned plain pumpkin really helps with soft stools.

And I am also not a fan of rawhide, though we do like raw marrow bones and nylabones for heavy chewers.

Good luck...puke and diarrhea sucks!

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:35 am

How is your pup?

Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Postby Gatorpit » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:43 am

An upset stomache is one thing. But you said he is deffinately sick 'cause he's just lying there. That is a very obvious warning sign. I dog has to be feeling really lousy to actually act it. If he's not back to his old self by now, he should deffinetely see a vet.

Kit
Adolescent Bully

Postby Kit » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:23 am

Rosie would get an upset tummy about once a week or so, if she got to eat something she wasn't used to. She would wake us up at 2am to let her out..not fun! About 8 weeks ago we started adding a spoonful of plain yogurt to her meals. It's got the live bacteria in it, and she's been good every since. Cottage cheese works the same way, and neither are expensive.

Good luck!

hwillm1977
Addicted to PBF

Postby hwillm1977 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:49 am

Marley used to throw up about once a week... sometimes because he wolfed his dinner and forgot to chew, sometimes because he ate grass outside and then came in to gag grassy bile all over the carpet, and sometimes just because, it was pretty random.

We feed kibble, but add a spoonful of probiotic plain yogurt to every meal... the dogs LOVE it, and now the sicks have cut down to once every couple of months... MUCH better...

I'm okay with cleaning up puke, it's the runny poop I can't do... it makes me gag.

SueG
Matured Bully

Postby SueG » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:15 am

Rawhides are a big no no in my house. They get sick every time they have one-even my iron-stomach dog, Tasha. And it does take a day or too for them to get sick, so don't rule it out for Jack.

Max has a very sensitive stomach. I started feeding him 3 times a day instead of two. It really helped. The vet also suggested giving him Pepcid Ac every day and it seems to be working so far. Maybe that would help Jack too.

Return to “Health Issues”