Another grain free kibble

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
concreterose

Another grain free kibble

Postby concreterose » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:22 am

I saw this yesterday at the feed store where I get treats. The owner told me that it's actually made by Diamond?
Taste of the Wild
Anybody heard of it?

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:41 am

Mil, no, I haven't heard about this food but you sure have peaked my curiosity. I need to do a comparison between the NV ingredients and this food.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:16 pm

Taste of the Wild:
Bison, venison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweat potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, roasted bison, roasted venison, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

NV Instinct:
Rabbit Meal, Salmon Meal, Tapioca, Chicken Fat (naturally preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Tomato Pomace, Pumpkinseeds, Sun-Cured Alfalfa Meal, Montmorillonite Clay, Natural Flavor, Sea Salt, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Biotin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Iodine Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Carotene, Folic Acid), Peas, Brewers Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite), Dried Kelp, Cranberries, Blueberries, Inulin, Freeze Dried Rabbit, Freeze Dried Rabbit Liver, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Rosemary Extract, Freeze Dried Rabbit Lung, Freeze Dried Rabbit Hearts, Freeze Dried Ground Rabbit Bone

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:23 pm

I wonder why they have bison & venison on the ingredient list twice?
ETA: One reason that I supplement with NV when I feed kibble is because they don't have so many protein sources in their kibble, and I have to be careful with that with Vicki because of her allergies. Solomon tends to get runny stool as well if a food is too rich.
This food has bison, venison, lamb, AND chicken, which would probably be a gastric disaster for my two lol

1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 1lila1 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:17 pm

The ingredients look pretty good. Is it a low carb kibble though? I like the use of sweet potato as a main starch in a kibble.

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:55 pm

The only thing I don't like about it is the ocean fish meal is non specific

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:33 pm

Price comparison? Couldn't find a price on the website.
Seems pretty decent. Has anybody tried it?

makedonce78
Newborn Bully

Postby makedonce78 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:40 pm

merriterrier wrote:Price comparison? Couldn't find a price on the website.

I was interested in that too. Also, how would it compare with TW or Orijen (if you feed it to a 10 week old pup)

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:00 pm

makedonce78 wrote:

I was interested in that too. Also, how would it compare with TW or Orijen (if you feed it to a 10 week old pup)

Hopefully the fish formula for this food is WAY cheaper than Orijen's fish formula. I'd LOVE to try Orijen's fish formula, but there's NO WAY I'm paying that price for it.
UGH.

Regular Orijen, yeah, we've tried it, but I'm not willing to do it because Ella is very similar to Mil's Vicki in allergy regard and Solomon in digestive issues.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:11 pm

OK I just called to check on the price. He said that right now, all the formulas are the same price, there may be like a $1 difference between some formulas.
30 lb. for $40.99
5 lbs for $10
He also said (had his sales hat on LOL) that the angle that they are coming from with this food is that the Pacific Stream w/Smoked Salmon formula is low protein, so is suitable for senior and low energy dogs, unlike other grain free kibbles that are high protein.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:25 pm

Not bad. Surely worth more research!
Is it new new or has it been out a few months?

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:47 pm

He just got it in a few days ago. I asked again who makes it, and it is made by Diamond.

beckerhead
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby beckerhead » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:57 pm

6pak wrote:The only thing I don't like about it is the ocean fish meal is non specific

I think it is made by Diamond, since the ingredients list and definitions read exactly the same word for word on both sites. That being the case, they use meal made with whole Menhaden fish preserved with vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) and rosemary, per the nutritionist at Diamond, and is Ethoxyquin free.

Hope that helps

makedonce78
Newborn Bully

Postby makedonce78 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:48 pm

did anyone try it yet?

I just saw it at the local mom&pops pet store and was sooo enticed to buy it.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:19 pm

I am still waiting to hear feedback from someone who has tried it or....we can do a google and see if there are reviews. ;)

Return to “Health Issues”