Hemotoma

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Libby
Addicted to PBF

Hemotoma

Postby Libby » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:49 pm

Hi guys. I'm just curious if any of you have dealt with hemotomas on your dogs. One of my girls is suffering from one right now, and I'm curious if these will go away on their own, or if they HAVE to have medical attention. I have a vet appointment made for next week, and regardless of the answers on here, she will be going to the vet.

What will happen if a hemotoma is left alone? Will it burst, spread, dry up, worsen...?

Thanks.

Ket

picara
Bully Ambassador

Postby picara » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:14 am

If it's small, it will probably resolve itself with no lasting effect. If it's bigger, it will resolve itself but the ear will be cosmetically altered, it will be kind of bumpy.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:54 am

Where is the hematoma?

My girl Bump used to get hematomas on her chest from plowing into things. Most of the time they would go away on their own. (The body apparently reabsorbs the blood). There was one where the vet had to drain it partially, but that was all.

As far as hematomas on the ears go, I've never dealt with it personally, but know of a couple dogs who have had them there and it was necessary to have it drained. Also very painful for the dogs.

lucydog
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lucydog » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:12 am

We drained Lucy's ear hematoma with a syringe, and we also had some medicines as well but I don't remember what they were. It took many drainings but eventually it went away. It seemed silly to pay for surgery for it, especially since she was 11 and any surgery at that age is riskier. The needle procedure didn't seem to hurt her. Her ear as a crumpled look but she says she doesn't mind!

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:29 am

Its on her leg, not quite on the hip, but just below. I didn't even realize it was there until I was brushing her out and found a bump. Its been a few days and she has licked the fur over it off, so I figured I had better get her into the vet for it.

Ket

Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Postby Gatorpit » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:05 am

Are you sure it's a hematoma?

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:08 am

Gatorpit wrote:Are you sure it's a hematoma?

Not 100%, which is another reason why I'm taking her into the vet for it. She had a hemotoma on her chest a couple years ago, and they had to give her antibiotics for it. It looked alot like this bump does, but she never licked the fur off of the other one, and it was alot larger.

She is getting older, so I guess it could be a number of things. I'm hoping for something as mild as a hemotoma, though.

Ket

Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Postby Gatorpit » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:36 am

I hope so too, but when you mention the licking, I jump to cancerous lump. Probably benign. But dogs (some) can sence cancer, and that may explain the licking. Either that or it's just stretching the skin and making her uncomfortable.

How long did it take to show up?

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:11 pm

I noticed it probably a little over a week ago, and she has licked the fur off over the last few days. She didn't have a bump there when I gave her a bath three weeks ago, so I'd say it developed within the last three weeks.

She does act like it bothers her. She will be walking, then suddenly stop and swing her head around to lick/nip at the spot. She will also pick up the leg and skip a few steps, but that could be something unrelated.

I suppose I will find out for sure what it is next week, though.

Ket

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:19 pm

Is it on Lucy? Good Luck and I'm praying sending good vibes your way!

picara
Bully Ambassador

Postby picara » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:35 pm

I thought hematoma's were mostly on the ears. That's what gets kind of crinkly without that mattress stitch surgery. A hematoma is like a big blood blister. Is that what your doggy's bump looks like? Do you have a picture?

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:44 pm

From my understanding, a hematoma is caused from blunt trauma. You seem them mostly on the ears, because a dog can shake its head and cause hematomas. Not the best example, but say if someone where to kick their dog really hard, that could very likely cause a hematoma.

I'm thinking that if it IS a hematoma that Lucy has, she had to have gotten it from playing with one of the other dogs. Her and Mexi can get pretty rough.

I don't have any pictures, but I will see about taking one here in a bit.

Ket

SFBullyGirl
Addicted to PBF

Postby SFBullyGirl » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:51 pm

Trixie had an ear hematoma about 2 months ago..and needed surgery to fix it, I thought they were mainly in the ears as well. I would keep an eye on that bump though and have it looked at if it is growing and bothers her. Mast Celll tumors are fast growing as well and make the dog lick at them because they itch.

meginok
Bully Ambassador

Postby meginok » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:33 am

Shamus got a hematoma on his...not sure what to call it. The bottom of his chest? Not his front-chest, like below his neck, but the bottom of his ribcage (I'd call it the heartgirth, if he was a horse). Because of where it was, it ballooned quickly. It was at the deepest point of his ribcage, so gravity pooled the fluids there, and they had no place to go.

The vet drained two big syringes of fluid out, and said we might have to place a drain there, or worst case scenario, excise the damaged tissue there to get it to all adhere back together again.

The hematoma got bigger again after the vet drained it, but then slowly became smaller and smaller until it was gone.

Because my dogs are never out of their crates unsupervised, I'm sure that he did it playing roughly with Abbie Lou. They have tremendous play battles together.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:37 am

How is she today, Ket? Did you get her in to the vet?
If she's licking, I'd be pretty concerned and not assume it's a hematoma.

Return to “Health Issues”