Seizures from Anesthesia

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
AriesGodofWar
Super Bully

Seizures from Anesthesia

Postby AriesGodofWar » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:46 pm

I had a rather odd experience at the vet the other day. I go to a large animal hospital, so I do not always see the same Doc. I was bringing Aries in for her yearly and the vet says, "So Aries has seizures?" I was like, WTF??? So I called me wife immediately asking if she knew anything about it, she said no. So I tell the vet I have no idea what he is talking about, maybe he has the wrong chart. Aries is 3 and healthy as a horse, never had a seizure as far as I knew. Due to my complete befuddlement, the vet continues to page through her history, and it turns out, when she was spay at about 5 months, she apparently had a seizure after waking up from the surgery and they had it noted in her chart not to give her whatever it was they used again.

In any case, they never said anything to me about it at the time (|I kind of think that is something they should have told me when I picked her up). Aries acts perfectly normal, and I never would have known. My brother in law had another dog from the same litter, and after his was neutered, it began having seizures that became progressively worse, and not having any money, he eventually had to put him down before his first birthday, as with each seizure, he became more and more disoriented.

Is it possible that they both had some kind of averse reaction to the anesthesia and that his was worse causing a lifetime of issues? Is that something that can be genetic? We always wondered why his dog started seizing out of the blue, but when the vet told me that Aries had a seizure too, I began to wonder if the two could be connected in some way. Anyone ever heard of anything like it??

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:53 pm

Sally_Dog77
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Sally_Dog77 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:53 pm

That is a huge irresponsiblity on that particular clinic's part. I would be PISSED.

Any time we have complications before or after anesthesia, whether it be diarrhea, vomiting, or even if they are still a little drowsy at pickup we always let the owner know. If that happened at our clinic we would be on the phone trying to contact you at the first sign of seizing!

That's absolutely deplorable in my opinion. I'd be finding a new vet.

Best wishes to your dog, and hopefully they never, ever show up again! Scary!!!

AriesGodofWar
Super Bully

Postby AriesGodofWar » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:13 pm

Thanks for the advice and the article! Is a seizure such as would be caused by iohexol, possibly bad enough to cause life long complications? Aries seems perfectly normal to me, but |I guess my question is, are their varying degrees of seizing? Is it possible that a dog has one so bad that it creates a lifelong problem (maybe irreparably injuring a portion of the brain) ? RIP Whizzer :frown:

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:53 pm

man, that vet effed up big tiem!!!!! !
:po:
need to find a new vet, AFTER you have had a long conversation about all of this with this present vet
and yes, the are various degrees of seizures.(maybe misskiwi can give you more info, as she is just out of vet shcool this summer)

innocence621
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby innocence621 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:14 pm

6pak wrote:http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs/10.2460/javma.2002.220.1499?journalCode=javma

Iohexol is a contrast they inject into the spine to highlight any problems along the spinal cord (like a disc or tumor). It wouldn't be used in a spay or neuter, so that wouldn't be the cause of it.

AriesGodofWar
Super Bully

Postby AriesGodofWar » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:15 pm

pblove wrote:man, that vet effed up big tiem!!!!! !
:po:
need to find a new vet, AFTER you have had a long conversation about all of this with this present vet
and yes, the are various degrees of seizures.(maybe misskiwi can give you more info, as she is just out of vet shcool this summer)

This was 3 years ago though, but I agree. I am just not sure how you hold that discussion 3 years later with someone that did not do the surgery? Just seems like it will be a waste of time. But in any case, time to find a new vet!

Sariss
Bully Ambassador

Postby Sariss » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:22 pm

6pak wrote:http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs/10.2460/javma.2002.220.1499?journalCode=javma

??

Random irrelevant link for the win, lol

Return to “Health Issues”