Some Questions!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
patchie

Some Questions!

Postby patchie » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:16 pm

:frown:
So Miss Sapphyre is in heat.. and well the lil boy i i babysit let her out today and well lets just say she went to visit the dog next door :skurrd: i sat there for a half hour waiting for them to unstick.. i bet i looked really good to the neighbors LoL.. my question do you think she would be preggo? ive never had a female before dont know how the heat cycle works... i know shes this is her 2nd cycle.
i know this sounds so stupid but can she get preg. at anytime in heat or only a certain time...
all the help would be wonderful...
:oops:

AriesGodofWar
Super Bully

Postby AriesGodofWar » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:19 pm

Yes, the can get pregnant at anytime while in heat. I would say chances are pretty good.

Now, 2 questions for you:

1. Why was she not spay?
2. Why did you sit and watch for half an hour, rather than intercede?

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:20 pm

Like Aries said, yes its likely she is pregnant. How old is she? You can get her spayed right now and avoid complications, and puppies.

Ket

patchie

Postby patchie » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:32 pm

shes a 1 and half.
and i was told not to pull them apart bcz they could get hurt.
and the reason why she hasnt been fixed theres no excuse for it, she was always fenced in the yard and we just moved and the fence isn't done yet, plus our other dog is fixed. so i really had no worried i didnt even know the people next to use had a dog..but its my fault she got out bcz i wasnt paying attention at the time she was let outside really cant yell at a 5 yr old

Jeank
Adolescent Bully

Postby Jeank » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:36 pm

Is there some way you can "abort" the puppies?

patchie

Postby patchie » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:39 pm

abort?
umm i dont know? i just feel like a complete moron, i called the vets office here and they told me if she is they cant tell until 23-25 days or so, they told me theres nothing else i can do until i find out, and either way id have to wait 2 weeks to get her into the vet on base

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:42 pm

You CAN schedule her for a spay, even if she is pregnant.

Ket

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:43 pm

Just make an appointment to spay her.That is all you have to do.If you do it on base it won't cost you much.

patchie

Postby patchie » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:45 pm

oh okay i will call the other vets then, ty

EmmasMom
Addicted to PBF

Postby EmmasMom » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:52 am

I would totally do the spay now...it'll save a LOT of pups from who knows what later on in life.

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:54 am

Count me as a vote for an IMMEDIATE spay.

I won't go into anything else other than to say get her spayed as soon as possible.

stillhoneymooning
Matured Bully

Postby stillhoneymooning » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:07 am

Spay NOW! No puppies, and this won't happen again.

Adivina
Adolescent Bully

Postby Adivina » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:39 am

Females dogs in heat can attract male dogs from miles away. Please if you are not willing to have her under supervision 24/7 - get her fixed right away.

If you are dedicated you can manage two opposite sex unfixed dogs in the same household, let alone one, but its take A LOT of time and supervision - throughout rescue I've done it before successfully, but it is a pain and takes lots of your time to make sure nothing happens.

Not to mention the health risks an unaltered female is at risk for. Just not worth it if you don't have a good reason for the dog being intact - showing, events that require the dog to be unaltered, etc.

I'm glad you are doing the right thing and getting her fixed. It would be kindest for her and the puppies to just get it done now before she has a litter. Too many pups in the world to bring more in. :crybaby:

jessandace
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jessandace » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:42 am

i agree with the majority of posters... spay her now!

Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Postby Gatorpit » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:28 am

To answer your questions...

A female cannot get pregnant at any time while she's in heat (usually). she can get pregnant towards the last 3-7 days of the cycle.

However, a female will not allow the male to mount UNLESS she is capable of becoming pregnant. Therefore, since she let him, she is fully capable of becoming pregnant.

The heat cycle usually lasts from 3-4 weeks. Starts out with the vulva swelling, and light bleeding. A dog becomes receptive once the fluid coming from the vagina turns kind of a straw color, usualy in the last 3-7 days of the cycle.

Males will be attracted to her from day one, but MOST females instinctively know not to allow a male to mount until they're actually capable of pregnancy. that was simplified, it's more like a chemical/hormonal reaction in the brain when she begins ovulating that tells her to mate, more than a conscious decision.

To Aries God of War,

I don't know if you're familiar with the act of dog breeding, but the male's penis has what is called a "knot" at the base that swells during intercourse, locking the two dogs together. It is feasable that if one were to get to the breeding dogs BEFORE the male tied, then you could pull him off, but you most deffinately risk getting bit by him. Mating is a serious business to males.

However, once the dog's are tied, you cannot attempt to seperate them, as doing so can terribly damage both participants.

To the OP,

Spay abort.

Return to “Health Issues”