Concrete Elbows, Any suggestions?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:58 pm

Deniselynn wrote:Ella got the spa treatment! Image

HA! Try telling HER that!

You'd think we abuse the animal as badly as she shakes and tries to hide when it comes to getting her ears cleaned and the betadine put on her.

lol

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:49 pm

Beo has those too. I've seen the Bag Balm and wondered what it was for. I'm getting some.

You've just been dying to use that emoticon, haven't you??? You have the best ones.

nic
Forum Junky

Postby nic » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:56 pm

I started using aloe vera jelly on Boo's callouses,and believe it or not,with in a week they had changed form black skin,to a more flesh coloured,and now just 2 weeks on we have fur growing back.I took some before pics,tommorow I'll get some now ones and post to show the difference I am amazed.He had the callouses for about 3 years,with no sign of ever recovering till I used the Aloe.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:32 pm

nic wrote:I started using aloe vera jelly on Boo's callouses,and believe it or not,with in a week they had changed form black skin,to a more flesh coloured,and now just 2 weeks on we have fur growing back.I took some before pics,tommorow I'll get some now ones and post to show the difference I am amazed.He had the callouses for about 3 years,with no sign of ever recovering till I used the Aloe.

Good for you! I know people get sick of me telling them to try aloe vera gel on skin irritations, but I have had the most amazing results with it...I swear by it. And it isn't expensive at all!

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:58 pm

concreterose wrote:Good for you! I know people get sick of me telling them to try aloe vera gel on skin irritations, but I have had the most amazing results with it...I swear by it. And it isn't expensive at all!

Let me tell you, Mil, because of your aloe suggestion and bag balm suggestion (was that you?) and those pledgets and rinse I got, Ella gets the daily skin spa treatment at least 3 times a day.
And thanks to Misskiwi she got another bath today and I made her stay in the bathroom with me while I showered, then I got out and rinsed her off.

She's getting better about allowing me to put the stuff on her (meaning she doesn't tremble like I'm going to make her take a bath or something) and I think she realizes it actually feels good.

I use a pledget on her paws whenever we come back in from outside and sometimes I'll use the rinse instead. I use the aloe after the pledgets.

And I'm ALREADY seeing improvements in her skin!

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:01 pm

Beowulf wrote:

You've just been dying to use that emoticon, haven't you??? You have the best ones.

I am addicted to emoticons! lol

Ella, that is great news!

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:04 pm

chewbecca wrote:
concreterose wrote:Good for you! I know people get sick of me telling them to try aloe vera gel on skin irritations, but I have had the most amazing results with it...I swear by it. And it isn't expensive at all!

Let me tell you, Mil, because of your aloe suggestion and bag balm suggestion (was that you?) and those pledgets and rinse I got, Ella gets the daily skin spa treatment at least 3 times a day.
And thanks to Misskiwi she got another bath today and I made her stay in the bathroom with me while I showered, then I got out and rinsed her off.

She's getting better about allowing me to put the stuff on her (meaning she doesn't tremble like I'm going to make her take a bath or something) and I think she realizes it actually feels good.

I use a pledget on her paws whenever we come back in from outside and sometimes I'll use the rinse instead. I use the aloe after the pledgets.

And I'm ALREADY seeing improvements in her skin!

That is great news! It's an awesome feeling when you KNOW that something works and your dog is comfortable, isn't it?

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:13 pm

YES.
It's not like Ella growls or nips at me, she wouldn't DREAM of it.
She just tries to hide and trembles. And it makes me feel like such a jerk.

But I was good about letting her sniff stuff and check it out before I put it on her and I think that actually helped.

Thanks again for the suggestions, I owe you!

IlovemyMONGO
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby IlovemyMONGO » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:48 pm

We have been using balm(forget the exact name)-I got it at Petco and it is working great for Mongo's elbows and paw pads. He gets them from our concrete outside-he refuses to lay on a nice comfy bed out there(he likes to hang out there for an hour every day when the weather is nice)-and I have tried to cover my entire patio with those foam mats, but he only eats them!

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:39 pm

jesse has NEVER slept or laid on concrete, she has been a total house dog on couches and beds and plush carpeting, yet she has those elbow things too..

RodentRanger
Super Bully

Postby RodentRanger » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:36 pm

Maryellen wrote:jesse has NEVER slept or laid on concrete, she has been a total house dog on couches and beds and plush carpeting, yet she has those elbow things too..

Yoda has them too and he is a house dog. He won't lay on the dog beds unless he is sleeping though. Mostly he lays on the indoor/outdoor area rugs or in the one carpeted room.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:01 am

Lucky dogs!

I tried bag balm, aloe vera, coconut oil, a million kinds of lotions and creams... no hair regrowth.

My adult dog came from the shelter with concrete callouses on his elbows, the backs of his hind legs, and on the sides of his legs. The skin is softer there, thanks to the treatments, but no hair. Plus he often wears off the callouses on the backs of his legs, from skidding when he's running. (I bought some new products recommended on here, which has helped with his pawpads.)

Bosses Dad
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Bosses Dad » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:06 pm

THANKS!
Boss has those too. He sleeps in the kitchen when it gets hot.

Odnarb

Postby Odnarb » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:58 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Get your pup a soft bed to prevent calluses. Treat them the same way you would treat your own calluses. If your pup sleeps on concrete to cool off in the summer, try getting one of those elevated beds...

Unfortunately, my idiots rip up beds and eat them, so they are just on the floors of their crates when we are at work. As a result, they have the elbow calluses, as well as ones on their sternum areas.

Never thought about bag balm! I'm going to start applying :))

Bosses Dad
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Bosses Dad » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:08 pm

Bought some today. Its in a little green can. Gonna apply it tonight.
Boss got some rusty ass elbows. :bully:

Return to “Health Issues”