Raw feeding gurus, I have a question

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
BabyReba

Raw feeding gurus, I have a question

Postby BabyReba » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:36 pm

Today I took a trip down to my friendly local wholesale distributor to pick up some things for the dogs. She carries all sorts of stuff, including a line of feed called Evolve. Now, I've been in there a bunch of times and she has never tried to sell me on her food but today I got the hard-sell and it was annoying. I told her I feed raw and I'm happy with it, so no Evolve for me, thanks.

So she asked how I balanced my dogs' diets and I told her I feed a premix for part of the diet and a variety of organs/muscle meats/bones/veggies/fruits/kelp/bone meal/fish oils that makes up the rest.

She launched into a diatribe about how one of her clients had 3 dogs and insisted on feeding raw but the dogs got electrolyte balances and within 7 years all of them were dead. All due to raw, she said, which she feels is naturally an imbalanced diet that does not provide enough vitamins for the dogs.

I really wasn't there to get into a debate with her, so I let her ramble on and load me up with free samples of the kibble which I can use for tracking with Doc or for training treats.

But my question is, what do you make of this claim that her clients' dogs had electrolyte imbalances that killed them because of their raw diet? I've heard of vitamin deficiencies, but not electrolyte issues. Is this something anyone has heard of before? What would you have responded to this woman if she were talking to you? Besides "please leave me be so I can shop in peace," of course! lol

beckerhead
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby beckerhead » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:50 pm

I am NO expert, but I do know to beware ANYONE selling something!! Besides, a raw feeder who does their homework on meat to bone ratios, organ supps., vitamin balances, etc. is actually providing what is an optimum diet, NOT a second rate dog killing diet.
Next time you go there, buy your regular stuff, and in passing tell her that ALL your dogs died from raw feeding, and you will NEVER own another one. that way she won't keep hawking her dog cereal on you!!
Just tell her you use the green tripe as an aphrodisiac, and it works like MAGIC!! lol lol lol

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:13 pm

gatorade?

that's all I can think right now.

"you mean kibble is like gatorade?"

roflmao

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Raw feeding gurus, I have a question

Postby El_EmDubya » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:58 pm

BabyReba wrote:So she asked how I balanced my dogs' diets and I told her I feed a premix for part of the diet and a variety of organs/muscle meats/bones/veggies/fruits/kelp/bone meal/fish oils that makes up the rest.

She launched into a diatribe about ... electrolyte balances .. dead... due to raw, ...which ..is naturally an imbalanced diet that does not provide enough vitamins for the dogs.

What would you have responded to this woman if she were talking to you?

This is a good analogy I use:

Raw feeders are like Mothers who breastfeed - we care enough to feed the very best that nature provides.

Throughout the 1960s-1980s science was perceived to be providing a nutritious diet through infant formulas. Women who listened to their "Mommy instincts" said "No Thank You." to science...In the 60s those who said "No." were few and far between. They were considered radical, uninformed, and in many cases cruel.

Doctors were trained that infant formula was far superior product to breast milk producing a culture within the medical community and parenthood as a whole. This culture was supported by a huge industry which reaped $Billions in this new industry that they created. The industry reinvested monies in research to improve formulas and increase product choice, but much more money went into diminishing the value of human breast milk worldwide.

The combined efforts of the medical community AND Food Industry has caused numerous negative health problems and informed physicians now know that breast fed babies:

...have fewer dental cavities
... are significantly less likely to become obese later in childhood.
...are 34 percent less likely to develop juvenile, insulin-dependent diabetes than children who are fed formula.
...decrease the risk of childhood cancer in children under 15 years of age. Formula-fed children are eight times more likely to develop cancer than children who are nursed for more than six months.
... have lower blood pressure on average than those who were formula-fed. ...heart disease is less likely to develop in adults who were breast-fed in infancy.
... have fewer psychological, behavioral and learning problems as they grow older.
... have increased cognitive development among children whose mothers choose to breastfeed.

As much as science and industry works to prove Raw Feeders wrong, nature continues to prove us right.

I hope this helps,

Marie

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:08 pm

I feed the same pre -made raw diet as babyreba and supplement with missing link and Nupor (alternate each bag/jar), fish oil, rmb, organ meats. vit E .and a vairety of beef, fish, turkey, chicken parts
I was under the impression there has never been any raw feeding studies done?
My question:
how do we really know what is or is not complete when feeding raw?????

incorigabull
Newborn Bully

Postby incorigabull » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:11 pm

I'm sure a raw diet caused inbalance is what finally did in my 17 year old dog. Whatever! I figure having pit bulls is an advatage when feeding raw because we've already developed a thick skin to peoples' ignorant comments.

Wooderson
Super Bully
Location: Kiev, Ukraine, around the corner from the Republic Stadium, near the downtown MegaMart

Postby Wooderson » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:10 am

One nice thing about living here - most people feed raw or "people food", you can get ingredients (like random cuts of mystery meat) at any market, and vets generally support raw feeding.

Return to “Health Issues”