Help With Isis please someone I need advice.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
snoopy360

Help With Isis please someone I need advice.

Postby snoopy360 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:11 pm

Heres the deal, I've had Isis for 4 yrs and she's lived in NY and in SC but when she gets down south she has severe allergies. It gets so bad that she actually bangs against funiture to scratch herself. However when she is in NY she doesn't have any reactions at all. In NY we didn't have any carpet but in my condo we do. Before I shell out the bucks to get hard wood flooring, I'm wondering if there is a cost effective alternative that will give my dog a itch free life. I'm allergic to certain medications and when I had taken them my body itches just as bad if not worse so I feel her pain. I've taken her to the local vets here in SC (bunch of freaking idiots) but they all keep telling me to give her benedryl which doesn't seem to be working (plus not to mention the dose they told me to give her would dry up her lungs if I had to take the weight to mil gram ratio they told me to give her). Any advice would be helpfull, is there a test I should tell the vet to run to see what the allergies are? I'm going to stop all treats and see if that helps aswell. I've been giving her the same dog food I used to feed her in NY so I know thats not the cause, but my wife is always buying treats for her so theres no telling if its a food allergy.
Thx for reading the long post, I patiently await your response.
Jose

bll516
Super Bully

Postby bll516 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:31 pm

I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you I just wanted to wish you the best of luck! Someone will be along with better advice for you.

jewelsdaddy
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

allergy

Postby jewelsdaddy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:35 pm

Do you use carpet freshner or any type cleaner on your carpets?

What type of treats is your girlfriend feeding her?

sw_df27
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby sw_df27 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:36 pm

Alexis has severe allergies too they have her on prednasone how ever you spell it also whe use to get real bad ear infections if I didn't get her allergies under control in time also they always gave mine steroid shots they were cleared up the next day but of course even that only last so long!!!!! cost me about $60-$70 everytime I had to take her

jewelsdaddy
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

allergy

Postby jewelsdaddy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:37 pm

sorry *wife*

Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Postby Gatorpit » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:48 pm

It is very unlikely that the dog is allergic to your carpet itself. Do you get fleas when you're in New York?

Do you live in the country, or in the city?

Have you made this move back and forth more than once? Is it always at the same time of year? Do you change her food or her diet at all?

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:31 pm

The dose for dogs and benedryl is higher than a human dose as they do metabolize it different.

But, My first thought would be mold allergies in the south., I know myself in the south I am a mess, carpets tend to hold tiny amounts of mold that is harmless to most, but to sensitive creatures could be the culprit.

I guess I dont have much advice other than something is obviously different in the south.

You could have her tested for molds? Not sure how accurate they are for dogs?

Rumpley
Bully Ambassador

Postby Rumpley » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:48 pm

Environmental is my guess. Whether it's indoors or outdoors, who knows, but my money is on outside.

When I take my dog back home, his allergies clear up really well. Soon as he's back on the coast, itchiness and hives. Different vegetation/molds/dust causes different reactions. If it is an outdoor reaction, the only thing you can do is medicate.

I found that Reactine and Claritin were more beneficial for my dog than Benadryl. He puked a lot on Benadryl and was really dopey. I worked the dosages until I got him down to the minimal amount he needed to be "itchy free" on a daily basis, while we go through these particular seasons. Now I can anticipate pretty much within the calendar, when his trouble months are going to be. He's never had secondary skin infections because of his itch management, so my advice is get rid of the itching asap!

If you're serious about finding out, I'd have a skin test done. That helped my dog. He's allergic to 56 out of 60 allergens!!

snoopy360

Postby snoopy360 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:52 pm

thx for the reply's guys, the mold in the carpet could be the cause. Every time I go up to NYC she doesn't have any allergies (wood flooring), but within a week of being down south her body goes into overdrive. We used to live on the beach at two different locations but she had the allergies at both places (carpeting). I Hoping that it was something in that area so I've moved to another location and she still has the problem. I've since stopped all treats and the problem persists, I'll give it a couple more days to see what happens. Theres just so many possibilities, I'm trying to narrow it down. I'll be taking her to the vet next week to see if they will run an allery panel, and also talking to a guy about wood flooring. Its gonna hurt the bank but hey she's my only child and its not like I have to pay for her to go to college roflmao. I'll keep you guys posted on what I find.

snoopy360

Postby snoopy360 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:51 am

I think I have found another possibility, Since I live in a condo they have pest control spray my unit once a month. Next month I won't let them spray my unit and see if that helps. I know she is allergic to the monthly advantix type stuff so I'll see if that helps.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:55 am

I would suggest getting her intradermal allergy tested and then doing the immune therapy shots. This will solve the actual problem (if she responds to the therapy) rather than treating the symptoms.

Return to “Health Issues”