Does Ingredients REALLY matter?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:21 pm

meginok wrote:Misskiwi, what do you know about processing/handling of byproducts?

Very little beyond the AAFCO definitions, unfortunately. My thinking was very similar to that of everyone else (byproducts = bad) until I took my nutrition class, and we were shown that byproducts can be a superior product to even the best meat meals. The nutritionist in charge of my class loved by-product meals, and I had to respect that. They can also be worse than sawdust... but the inferior stuff usually ends up in fertilizer.

I figure a quality company will use superior ingredients, and by-products are only avoided for the same reasons corn is avoided and blueberries are in high demand... because of consumer pressure.

This was all prior to the food recalls too... and now its very difficult for me to say "Don't worry about by-products, when the food costs double, its probably using better ingredients"

To be perfectly honest, the definitions for meat meal and meat by-product meal really tell you NOTHING about what goes into the meal and how it was handled. Therefore, I'll hedge my bets and hope the by-product meal is at least as good as the meat meal due to the opportunity for variety and therefore superior nutrition. I'm probably way off base... but those are my thoughts.

Ursa Arctos
Forum Junky

Postby Ursa Arctos » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:43 pm

I am pretty much just going to second what everyone here has said already.

My parents feed their dogs mediocre food, despite my constant badgering, and in all honesty- they are fine. Mocha's going on 11 this November and Chance is nearly 6. They are both a little bit overweight, but that is more of a reflection of not being walked enough and being fed too often, than their actual food. My first dog, YooHoo, lived to a rip old age on the cheapest food someone could buy- my dad got stuck with her in the divorce, liked dogs just fine but didn't see a point in going broke feeding her. She got walked typically twice a day, and lived to around 13.

Dogs are like us. Many can survive just fine on crappy food- and so can we. Lots of people consume sodas, fast foods, and sodium filled meals every day, and *don't* die of heart attacks, etc.

But I know for myself, that when I started eating right, cut out sodas and only bought organic fruits and veggies, I felt so much better. I had more energy, slept better, and now I feel really great.

Its the same way for your dogs. They will probably live a richer, better life on a higher quality food, just as a person would.

Wooderson
Super Bully
Location: Kiev, Ukraine, around the corner from the Republic Stadium, near the downtown MegaMart

Postby Wooderson » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:41 am

I dunno, I feed Redhead raw, and that includes things like chicken feet, and animal heads, hearts, lungs, tongues, esophagi, brains, guts, tendons, stomachs, random pieces of cartilage, fruit and veggie juices, and veggie scraps, (including but not limited to corn).

1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 1lila1 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:04 pm

Ingredients DO matter. Lila has been on many foods before going 100% raw. If ingredients don't matter why did Lila have 4-5 HUGE poops a day on dog food containing corn (Eagle Pack, specifically) and 1 tiny chihuahua sized poop a day now that she is on raw?? If corn is so digestable, Lila must be the only dog on earth who can't digest it!

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:25 pm

1lila1 wrote:Ingredients DO matter. Lila has been on many foods before going 100% raw. If ingredients don't matter why did Lila have 4-5 HUGE poops a day on dog food containing corn (Eagle Pack, specifically) and 1 tiny chihuahua sized poop a day now that she is on raw?? If corn is so digestable, Lila must be the only dog on earth who can't digest it!

Corn is not the only ingredient in eagle pack...ever consider that the beet pulp or other source of fiber could be causing the bulky poop? Most likely...

1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 1lila1 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:46 pm

Eagle Pack wasn't the only food with corn that she's been on that produced huge stools, it's just that instead 3-4 huge stools a day on the other food, on Eagle Pack she was having 4-5 huge stools a day. I wont' even go into how much her coat and overall appearance has improved since cutting out the processed unnatural foods she was eating. Sure, other unnecessary fillers could've been contributing as well but I'm sure that corn added significantly to her stool volume.

beckerhead
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby beckerhead » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:54 pm

1lila1 wrote: Sure, other unnecessary fillers could've been contributing as well but I'm sure that corn added significantly to her stool volume.

My wife always asks me to turn down my stool volume after a night of boiled cabbage, sweet potatoes, and yes, corn. lol lol lol
Evidently, it something akin to a bullfrog with hiccups, croaking at a mad beaver slapping its tail on the water. roflmao roflmao roflmao

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:34 pm

beckerhead wrote:
1lila1 wrote: Sure, other unnecessary fillers could've been contributing as well but I'm sure that corn added significantly to her stool volume.

My wife always asks me to turn down my stool volume after a night of boiled cabbage, sweet potatoes, and yes, corn. lol lol lol
Evidently, it something akin to a bullfrog with hiccups, croaking at a mad beaver slapping its tail on the water. roflmao roflmao roflmao

Thanks for sharing! :yucky:

Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Postby Gatorpit » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:38 pm

"DO" ingredients matter... Do.

I'm sorry, I've been reading this thread a lot and everytime it gets me. Really I'm sorry. I'm bad about correcting improper grammer. 8)

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:47 pm

Gatorpit wrote:"DO" ingredients matter... Do.

I'm sorry, I've been reading this thread a lot and everytime it gets me. Really I'm sorry. I'm bad about correcting improper grammer. 8)

Obviously.
I'm the same way about spelling.
It's grammar.
I guess we're even. :))

ZiggysMom
Super Bully

Postby ZiggysMom » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:01 pm

Thank you SO much MissKiwi and Jphilli for getting some real facts up here. I went and read on stuff but by the time I was done I was too tired and cranky to come post about it. I'm really glad to see that people are using their noggins and I do want to apologize for making a big rant about it earlier. I should put a padlock on my computer when I'm cranky :P

Return to “Health Issues”