Need some help/advice/opinions please..SNAKE BITE

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Need some help/advice/opinions please..SNAKE BITE

Postby IamaDick » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:47 pm

One of my moms dogs has been bite by a snake, she took her to the vet, they said the only thing they could do was a complete blood transfusion which is a lot of money. She is at home now, but i need any advice as what she could do to fight it off, if anything. She has asked me if giving Vitamin K will help with clotting of the blood? Anything she can do at all? The vet said given the condition she could start hemorraging internally at anytime. I have asked her if it gets to where she is pain to put her down, not sure how far we should fight at this point..

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:50 pm

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:58 pm

This is a more informative site
http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/sb.html
I don't think there is a home remedy. Is it possible it was a dry bite?
You have my best wishes.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:09 pm

Huh??? Did the dog go into auto-immune hemolytic anemia??

If not, the dog just needs supportive therapy. I've seen TONS of dogs survive snake bites with little more than IV fluids and pain medications. The smaller the dog the lower the chance of survival, but I think writing the dog off without other signs of organ system failure is a bit harsh!

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:09 pm

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:16 pm

Thanks. I wasnt at the vets, so im not sure exactly all what was said. So basically just sit it out and see if she makes it?

she has been giving benadryl.

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:19 pm

I would take the dog back in for IV fluids and monitoring... everything short of a transfusion. I have heard of many dogs surviving bites with simple vet care!

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:19 pm

Give it every eight hours. Good luck! Hope your moms dog pulls through.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:22 pm

KadillacGrrl wrote:I would take the dog back in for IV fluids and monitoring... everything short of a transfusion. I have heard of many dogs surviving bites with simple vet care!

I wouldn't take my dog back to a vet that wrote her off for dead without any signs of problems other than a history. (I may be missing a large chunk of the story here...) I would, however, take her to another vet with either more experience or more compassion.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:50 am

I'd ask for an IV that you can monitor if possible, at home!

Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Postby Gatorpit » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:36 am

Dogs tend to suffer less from snakebite than humans. Do you know what kind of snake bit him?

My friend had a pit that was bitten twice by water moccasins, she did fine both times. One of her pups, at nine weeks, put hinself between his new 5 year old boy and another moccasin, got bit, and also pulled through fine.

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:42 am

Any updates?

IamaDick
Addicted to PBF

Postby IamaDick » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:37 pm

Getting worse, but i got a little more info. The reason no IV was given is because she has been drinking and the liquid was never a problem. What is causing hte problem is that they dont know what snake bit her, so no antivenom, they also said that her blood protein level has gone from 2.8 down to a 1.6 today, and supposedly 1.5 is death by internal hemorraging. She isnt having issues with going to the bathroom, eating or drinking. Also is on antibiotics, cordeson shots, benadryl and a high protein level food. The next couple days is going to be life or death...so please pray for her.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:01 pm

awwww poor baby
:pray :pray :pray :pray

ZiggysMom
Super Bully

Postby ZiggysMom » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:05 pm

Good luck! and don't get too hung up on numbers... a low protein is bad, but there's no magic number that's certain death. It's just a point where statistically more dogs have problems.

Have they checked actual blood clotting times? That can be a big issue, and that would be why she'd need plasma or antivenin. It's too bad you don't know what snake bit her... where do you live? I know in Californa the antivenin they use covers pretty much all the species of pit vipers, so they don't need to know what kind it was. If it was a snake with neurotoxic venom like a coral snake, the symptoms would be totally different so they'd know.

Return to “Health Issues”