IamaDick wrote:Getting worse, but i got a little more info. The reason no IV was given is because she has been drinking and the liquid was never a problem. What is causing hte problem is that they dont know what snake bit her, so no antivenom, they also said that her blood protein level has gone from 2.8 down to a 1.6 today, and supposedly 1.5 is death by internal hemorraging. She isnt having issues with going to the bathroom, eating or drinking. Also is on antibiotics, cordeson shots, benadryl and a high protein level food. The next couple days is going to be life or death...so please pray for her.
If the dog starts losing fluids, its going to need shock levels (90 milliliters per kilogram per hour) of fluids to support the cardiovascular system until the venom runs its course. There is no way a dog will drink that much fluid. The fluids can also be supplemented with things like hetastarch to help keep the fluid in the vessels when protein is low. If the owner wants to keep the dog at home, thats fine, but saying that a blood transfusion is the ONLY way to support this dog is stupid. The only reason this dog shouldn't be in the hospital with an IV line is because the owner chose to take the dog home.