8 wo trying to nurse lactating non bio mom

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
klandmk
Adolescent Bully

8 wo trying to nurse lactating non bio mom

Postby klandmk » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:32 pm

So-I know my title is weird but I didn't know what to put.
We've just added a puppy to the family. He's 8 weeks old. Obviously- he was weened when he came home with us. My friends dog has had a litter of puppies (not while in his care) 1.5 years ago and the puppy has started trying to nurse on her (she is not his biological mommy). Well, now my friends dog is actually lactating. I discourage him from nursing and separate them when I catch it. Couple questions though....
1)How the hey does that happen when she hasn't had a litter in 1 1/2 years?
2)More importantly, even though she is UTD and fully vetted - can my new pup get worms from the milk?

Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Postby Gatorpit » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:37 pm

Many animals, including humans, can be moved to lactate by the presence of babies of their own species. Sometimes other species. I've seen both dogs and cats take in orphans of other species and lactate to feed them.

Mothers with very active motherly instincts, when in the presence of babies, their hormones cause them to produce milk. The hormones are caused to "flow" by the proximity of the young animal, and the natural emotional and instinctual desire to care for the young one.

As far as worms go, I'm really not sure. You should be deworming him regularly anyway, as he can get worms from a myriad of different sources.

meginok
Bully Ambassador

Postby meginok » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:46 pm

My parents' Scotty spontaneously made milk for a litter of lab pups, as well as Crazy Melvin...a cat! Not a particularly unusual thing.

Ditto Gatorpit on the worms...I don't know why nursing on a healthy mama dog (whether it's the bio mom or not) would increase a risk of parasite infestation, but the pup should be dewormed regularly, anyhow.

klandmk
Adolescent Bully

Postby klandmk » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:54 am

Thanks guys!

Return to “Health Issues”