How far is too far to run?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
chimblysweep
Newborn Bully

How far is too far to run?

Postby chimblysweep » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:59 am

I'm beginning marathon training and will be doing runs of 10-15-20 miles at a time.

Right now, Molly and I are running 3-5 miles every day, and she loves it. I'm just not sure 10 miles is a good idea, and I'd hate to have to carry her 65 lb butt home after finding out she can't make it.

She's been training with me all along, so it's possible she'll get stronger right along with me.

Any advice?

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:32 am

I know that Ella can EASILY take a 3-5 mile bike ride and be ready to take another an hour later.
And she's not an overly active dog, imo. She isn't hyper or bugging me to go outside or anything like that. She doesn't zoomies.

The key is to pace her, I think, which I'm sure you do.

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:46 am

I recently read an article about a lady who was a marathon/triathalon runner, and she would often take her chow mix with her on 15-25 mile runs. She ran in the Utah heat, and her dog did well. She always took water and they did go at a steady pace, so I imagine its like Chewbecca said, just make sure you keep her paced.

I would work up to the full mileage you are going slowly though. Since you only run a few miles now, maybe just ad a mile every other day until you are going the full 15 or 20 miles you want to go.

Ket

Hoss
***WARNING1***
***WARNING1***

Postby Hoss » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:18 pm

50+ miles a day should not be a problem for a game dog.. :peace: I have put more than that on mine in a day. Gator has pulled Ashley on roller blades, at a full run for 10+ miles, with no help from Ashley. This is based on the fact that the dog is sound. :thumbsup:

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:05 pm

As long as the dog is physically fit, and you work them up to it...they should be able to do it. Just listen to the dog.

I would recommend having the dogs hips, heart and elbows done though... if you have a small underlying issue, all that work could turn it in to a big issue.

chimblysweep
Newborn Bully

Postby chimblysweep » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:26 pm

well, we're feeding her Happy Hips treats that have glucosamine and stuff in 'em, so we're getting in front of that problem.

I think we'll work her up in miles and see what she can handle. If she starts dragging, we'll just stop home and I'll drop her off.

Tigerbeck
Adolescent Bully

Postby Tigerbeck » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:37 pm

FWIW the happy hips treats don't have enough glucosamine to be of much help. If you feel better with giving your dog glucosamine I would suggest one of the higher quality pills or powders.

Becky

drtrider2000
Matured Bully

Postby drtrider2000 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:57 pm

Tigerbeck wrote:FWIW the happy hips treats don't have enough glucosamine to be of much help. If you feel better with giving your dog glucosamine I would suggest one of the higher quality pills or powders.

Becky

Are these "higher quality pills or powders" dog specific? or the human kind?

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:10 pm

I give my HD girl Glucosamine Plus Chondroiten with MSM human pills. I give her two a day. In two pill there is 1500 mg of Glucosamine and 1200 mg of Chondroiten Sulfate.

The powders made specifically for dogs are easier to feed, but they are also a bit more expensive.

Ket

drtrider2000
Matured Bully

Postby drtrider2000 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:16 pm

and do you provide these suppliments as a preventative measure? or are you treating a specific problem?

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:20 pm

I give it to my dog who already has hip issues, but they are good to feed for joint health. Your dog doesn't have to have a problem for you to give them glucosamine.

If your going to work or run your dog, its a good thing to have them on, because running is stressful on joints. The glucosamine just keeps the joints healthy.

Ket

drtrider2000
Matured Bully

Postby drtrider2000 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Ketra wrote:I give it to my dog who already has hip issues, but they are good to feed for joint health. Your dog doesn't have to have a problem for you to give them glucosamine.

If your going to work or run your dog, its a good thing to have them on, because running is stressful on joints. The glucosamine just keeps the joints healthy.

Ket

thanks!...thats the info i was looking for

chimblysweep
Newborn Bully

Postby chimblysweep » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:32 pm

do you just put the pills in with the food? or what?

drtrider2000
Matured Bully

Postby drtrider2000 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:57 pm

chimblysweep wrote:do you just put the pills in with the food? or what?

I've never actually given Bella pills before, but i think she'd eat anything i put in her mouth.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:38 pm

chimblysweep wrote:do you just put the pills in with the food? or what?

I supplement b/c my dogs do flyball. I buy human powdered capsules and empty them into a bowl and add in salmon oil and some other stuff.

I think it's really important for you to start off with some hip and elbow x-rays AND get a heart check on her

or else you could be hurting her (and we all know pit bulls can hide a lot of pain) or she could have an underlying heart condition you can't know about.

Return to “Health Issues”