Expensive surgeries

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:09 am

my gsd has cost me over $10,000 in her health issues and medicines... i just took out a separate credit card for her.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:13 am

My Zoe had two CCL surgeries, one on each leg. We did not do the TPLO but the traditional surgery. Total for two surgeries was about $900.00

Good luck with your pup!

Annika
Addicted to PBF

Postby Annika » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:19 am

Piper had a luxating patella in one leg, and the trouble started when she blew out her knee doing zoomies in a stairwell. We paid $1800 to repair it and could NOT be happier with the results. She is 100% better, pain-free, with full mobility in the leg. I probably could have found a surgeon to do it for much cheaper, but I won't look back and lament the price because I'm so happy with the results.

I still cringe when she takes the stairs too fast. Coming up with $1800 AGAIN would be a lot trickier than it was the first time.

Tigerbeck
Adolescent Bully

Postby Tigerbeck » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:08 am

Is it proper to call and price check vets for a surgery they themselves have not reccomended? I have gotten my prices from the two vets I have seen and the others from people in my area who have had it. Also it doesn't need to be seen as a preexisting condition because I told my vet my situation and she was very vauge and not at all naming a condition on her reports. I have just sighed up for VPI pet insurance, but there is a waiting period of a year for CL treatment with other insurances and I cant find anything either way on VPI.

Becky

Lizzie
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lizzie » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:12 pm

I got my dog a $5000 Total Hip Replacement surgery that I could not afford...so far with x-rays, the two additional surgeries he required when the first one did not work, and multiple other vet visits for these issues, I have spent just about $7000 on JJ's left hip.

His right hip still needs to be operated on. We absolutely do NOT have that kind of money. I applied for CareCredit right off the bat, but there are TONS of organizations that will help you pay for your pet's medical bills if you can't afford them. You have to provide paperwork and fill out a lot of forms, but they work quickly...I recommend IMOM to start with. I also did a ton of fundraising. I built JJ his own website and got his story out there as much as I could, I held tag sales (if you ask around, people are generally thrilled to dump their junk off on you if you need to collect tag sale items) and I fundraised my butt off. I also went into some debt.

It was a lot of work, and we had to be really dedicated and take a LOT of criticism, but my dog is now alive and well, and I am confident that I was a responsible owner.

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:16 pm

My dog has had two expensive surgeries (well, about 1500-2000 each). Our case was sort of different because they were life or death, immediate things. I basically had to pay or my dog would have died within hours. I had the money, so I paid it, simple as that. I didn't really give it as thought.

You live in San Ramon, expensive area! I wonder if you could find a cheaper vet out toward Tracy or something. Or Sac. I don't know.

SFBullyGirl
Addicted to PBF

Postby SFBullyGirl » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:30 pm

Try Dr Downes at All Creatures Vet Hospital in Dublin. I am not sure if he is cheaper, but we have been taking my moms dogs there for years and I love them.

MtWhistler
Newborn Bully

Postby MtWhistler » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:19 pm

I just ordered the A-trac brace for my China...she has a partial tear; $290.00 plus shipping. You have to get x-rays to measure the length of the tibia. She'll wear it constantly for the next 10 weeks and then after that she'll wear it when she's active.

http://woundwear.com/product3.cfm

meginok
Bully Ambassador

Postby meginok » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:40 pm

rednoseErnie wrote:My dog has had two expensive surgeries (well, about 1500-2000 each). Our case was sort of different because they were life or death, immediate things. I basically had to pay or my dog would have died within hours. I had the money, so I paid it, simple as that. I didn't really give it as thought.

You live in San Ramon, expensive area! I wonder if you could find a cheaper vet out toward Tracy or something. Or Sac. I don't know.

Like rednoseErnie's situation, I had a cat that had to have emergency surgery. Over $1200 later, he's doing great! Despite not having the money, it was well worth it to have my Iggie boy still with us. Don't know for how long...the blockage that threatened his life did compromise his kidney function somewhat. We should know more at our follow-up in December.

ANY dog, even a well-bred dog from a breeder who does every conceivable health test, can end up costing you an arm and a leg in vet bills (I mean, look at my "free" born-feral cat! lol). My "$60" shelter mutt cost over a thousand bucks in her first three months. Some get lucky and never have those kinds of all-at-once expense with their pets. However, it's part of what you take on with any animal you let into your life.

I wish you the best, and hope you take some of the great advice that's been offered to you here on finding ways to pay for/finance the surgery.

beckerhead
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby beckerhead » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:42 pm

For that much money you could adopt a healthy dog, have that one put down, and still donate a good chunk to a rescue, which to me is a much better investment, than spending big money on a dog with bad health. But, puppy love is a strong bond, and I judge not any choice you make.

Good Luck & Best Wishes,
Beckerhead

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:02 pm

Alphamutt wrote:This is why everyone should have pet health insurance.

I learned from someone on here that pet health insurance basically pays you back, that you still have to cover the initial costs, and then file a claim. I've also heard that some vets don't even "take" the insurance.

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:48 pm

bahamutt99 wrote:
Alphamutt wrote:This is why everyone should have pet health insurance.

I learned from someone on here that pet health insurance basically pays you back, that you still have to cover the initial costs, and then file a claim. I've also heard that some vets don't even "take" the insurance.

I have VPI for Kane and it's a reimbursement plan. I don't believe the vet has to "take" it, I just fill out the claim form and send it (along with the invoice) and they reimburse accordingly.

I also have Care Credit that is set aside for emergencies. With Care Credit, only certain places take it. My primary vet accepts it and so does one of the e-vets around me. My closest e-vet does NOT accept it. So I guess it would depend on the situation (life and death) for which place I could go.

Tigerbeck
Adolescent Bully

Postby Tigerbeck » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:25 am

The A-trak looks like a doggie bondage device. But thank you for posting it. I will print this out and talk to my vet about it. Please let me know via PM or whatever what you think after you get it.

Becky

MtWhistler wrote:I just ordered the A-trac brace for my China...she has a partial tear; $290.00 plus shipping. You have to get x-rays to measure the length of the tibia. She'll wear it constantly for the next 10 weeks and then after that she'll wear it when she's active.

http://woundwear.com/product3.cfm

Odnarb

Postby Odnarb » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:06 pm

bahamutt99 wrote:I learned from someone on here that pet health insurance basically pays you back, that you still have to cover the initial costs, and then file a claim. I've also heard that some vets don't even "take" the insurance.

This is correct. Most clinics will require the money up front, and then the insurance company reimburses the owner whatever they will pay towards the procedure. Another thing is that most insurance plans will not cover CCL repairs until you have had the policy for at least a year. You also lose all of the moeny you put into the plan if your pet passes away, or is rehomed.

I've seen a lot of people burned by the insurance companies, and instead I really recommend that people just save up for these procedures. Open a saving account just for pet related issues. My boss is actually in the process of developing pet health savings plans that you can have on auto withdrawal out of your account. You can also have access to the money for other things if another emergency were to arise. At least that way you aren't putting money into something you won't use. My boss has a little more info here: https://www.petvetpro.com/pethealthsavingsplan.php

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:09 pm

Red has a partial tear and I'm not getting surgery done on it as we are doing homeopathic therapies. Prolotherapy is a great option and she is doing great with it! She occasionally limps after really exerting herself but she is continually building muscle in the leg which offsets the deficit in the ligament in that leg.

I have done a lot fo research on knee surgeries as well as having many done on myself. I have more problems now with my knee than before the surgeries. I have found a lot of good adn bad about knee surgery in dogs although IF I was to ever have to get the surgery done on Red it would be the TPLO(Tibial Plateau Leveling Oscetotomy) It is the best and makes the price well worth the surgery. However, IMHO- you want a liscensed Orthopedic Surgeon doing it not a regular vet as they have limited knowledge. At least that's my opinion on it and the only way I'd ever get her the knee surgery.

Return to “Health Issues”