Expensive surgeries

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Tigerbeck
Adolescent Bully

Expensive surgeries

Postby Tigerbeck » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:28 pm

My dog is 3 and needs some sort of surgery for her cruciate ligament. TPLO looks like the surgery of choice. In my area that will cost around $3-4K. When I got her 4 months ago she had a slight limp, but now it is pretty clear something must be done.I love my dog and she is great and well behaved, but that is a lot of money. I could find a lot of good dogs for that price. I would like some input from owners who have strugged with this same dilemma.

Becky

*leenie*
Addicted to PBF

Postby *leenie* » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:37 pm

im sorry about your dog....

but what do you mean by "I could find a lot of good dogs for that price" because it sounds like your gunna skimp on the procedure and and buy a "good dog"

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:40 pm

My dog Pandora had a luxating patella when she was 1 1/2. It wasn't $3,000, but only $950. I couldn't let her just go lame, so I fixed it.

As soon as the six-week recovery period was over and she started walking on it again, the other knee went out. Another $950. I paid it.

Turned out that it was a birth defect. I'm not surprised because she and her brother came from a BYB on the way to the pound with them. Still, it's a lot of money. She hasn't had any problems since and her brother has never developed any at all. Knock on wood.

It's a really hard decision. I wish you the best of luck. :dunno:

Courtholl
Adolescent Bully

Postby Courtholl » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:43 pm

Are you talking about replacing the ligament. Our girl blew out her ACL at about 1.5 years old. We had the surgery to repair/replace it. Cost just over $1,000.00. When you get a dog, you are taking on the responsibility of dealing with the vet bills. It sounds like you are thinking of dumping your dog for another. I would have it done, but that is me.

Tigerbeck
Adolescent Bully

Postby Tigerbeck » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:47 pm

*leenie* wrote:im sorry about your dog....

but what do you mean by "I could find a lot of good dogs for that price" because it sounds like your gunna skimp on the procedure and and buy a "good dog"

I am only pointing out that I could buy lassie with gold teeth for that. Its kind of nuts. I am in a tough situation where I have to do it. But really I can't afford it. The only other option is not to take her around with me as much as I am very active. She isnt in pain or limping unless we go out and romp around.

hwillm1977
Addicted to PBF

Postby hwillm1977 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:51 pm

*leenie* wrote:but what do you mean by "I could find a lot of good dogs for that price" because it sounds like your gunna skimp on the procedure and and buy a "good dog"

Sounds the same to me... dog has a problem, dump it and get a 'good dog'...

Vet bills are part of owning a pet and your responsibility when you decide to get a pet. Marley's vet bills were well over $1000 in the first year we had him... if you're not willing to pay a vet if your animal gets sick, or needs help maybe it's better to just not have a dog at all.

I did put my horse to sleep this summer when he was unable to walk from hip problems, I know it's not the same thing, but surgery could have helped him ($6000). He was also elderly and had other issues, so it was my decision to let him go. Your dog is only 3 years old and has many good years ahead of her.

Sorry about your dog, hopefully you decide to get the surgery for her

Tigerbeck
Adolescent Bully

Postby Tigerbeck » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:51 pm

I am not sure why it is so expensive in my area. The lowest quote is 3K and goes upto 4K. She has not totally torn it, but rather it has a partial tear the vet thinks. I read the surgery in other areas is around 1K as well. The TPLO was suggested to m e as it is assured to work and last, but even the standard repair they do is 2-3K.

Becky

Courtholl wrote:Are you talking about replacing the ligament. Our girl blew out her ACL at about 1.5 years old. We had the surgery to repair/replace it. Cost just over $1,000.00. When you get a dog, you are taking on the responsibility of dealing with the vet bills. It sounds like you are thinking of dumping your dog for another. I would have it done, but that is me.

hwillm1977
Addicted to PBF

Postby hwillm1977 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:52 pm

Tigerbeck wrote:
*leenie* wrote:im sorry about your dog....

I am only pointing out that I could buy lassie with gold teeth for that. Its kind of nuts. I am in a tough situation where I have to do it. But really I can't afford it. The only other option is not to take her around with me as much as I am very active. She isnt in pain or limping unless we go out and romp around.

Sorry we posted at the same time :thumbsup:

dapbt
Adolescent Bully

Postby dapbt » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:17 pm

I paid around $11000 for Cowboys two surgeries, which was torn ligaments.

Derek
Addicted to PBF

Postby Derek » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:52 am

If I had an extra 3-4K lying around, I'd pay it for Sam, but I don't. I don't know if, for you, it's a question of being "willing" to pay it, or being "able" to pay it. Have you checked into financing it? Maybe, you could take out a health insurance policy. Though it may be too late now. I saw a pamphlet for pet insurance at the vet's office last week when I took Sam to get UTD on shots.

Ursa Arctos
Forum Junky

Postby Ursa Arctos » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:19 am

I can understand the stress you are coming from. I don't think the OP is saying that he would ditch his dog and get another- I think he is just pointing out how incredibly expensive it is.

I don't know what to tell you, I have never had a dog that required so much. I would consider looking at vets out of your area to perhaps find better prices. Driving three hours and saving a thousand dollars would be well worth it.

When I got Oliver, I took out a second credit card which is labled Vet Bills. It is a low limit- only 2k, and I plan on keeping it completely empty and use for emergency only. This may be at least a temp. solution for you.

Alphamutt
Matured Bully

Postby Alphamutt » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:50 am

This is why everyone should have pet health insurance. Dogs need routine Vet care, and sometimes owners are slammed with big bills, for surgery, a serious illness, an accident.....
This dog is your responsibility, and you need to do the right thing. Many others on the Forum have faced enormous Vet bills, and they found a way to suck it up. You'll find a solution, or you'll find an excuse. I hope, for your dog's sake that you do the right thing. Letting a dog live in pain is unconscionable.

hwillm1977
Addicted to PBF

Postby hwillm1977 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:09 am

Derek wrote:If I had an extra 3-4K lying around, I'd pay it for Sam, but I don't. I don't know if, for you, it's a question of being "willing" to pay it, or being "able" to pay it. Have you checked into financing it? Maybe, you could take out a health insurance policy. Though it may be too late now. I saw a pamphlet for pet insurance at the vet's office last week when I took Sam to get UTD on shots.

Pet insurance won't pay for anything that is a pre-existing condition, so it would be too late in this case.

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:27 am

Some quick advice:

Join Yahoo's Orthodogs group and ask the members for advice. You may have an opportunity to rehab through severely limiting exercise/play/etc for an extended period. There are folks on that board with more experience than many vets. (Not all Vets are surgically inclined and therefore don't have the exposure to diagnosis, surgical options, or recovery.)

Get the Danville Pet Hospital's pet insurance. It gives you coverage within 24hrs and you can buy it the day before surgery. It isn't like "normal" insurance, but will give you a discount on THEIR services.

http://www.danvillevet.net/insurance.php

I hope this helps!

And just think, at the end of this year you'll have a "FANCY $5,000 Pit". :headbang:

Marie

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:09 am

I second Marie's advice on joining the yahoo group. Invaluable information there.
The reason you are seeing such a wide range of prices is that there are actually a couple of different surgery options. The TPLO runs about what you quoted and is, at this time, the most common. It seems to have the best success rate with larger and/or active dogs. There is also a 'traditional' repair, which cost less, but is not suitable for all dogs, depends on their size/structure and activity level. I was actually looking at having to do not one, but two TPLO's on Martin, but the surgeon ended up recommending him for a Bi-Lateral Extra Capsular (both sides, traditional repair) instead.
Good luck with your pup. It's worth every penny. Acquiring a dog certainly IS the cheapest part of the whole dog owning adventure.

Return to “Health Issues”