advice please...demodex

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

advice please...demodex

Postby brindlepit » Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:24 pm

about 3 weeks ago i took my pittie to the vet and found out that she has demodex, started treatment of 2 vacc(once a week) and antibiotics(2 pills a day). it started with a couple of spots on her legs then around her eyes and now a little around her muzzle, it seems like it wont go away. she has another appointment on monday but it's stressing us out and i'm getting desperate. any advice will be greatly appreciated. thank you.
brindlepit

Postby kazuo » Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:44 pm

I was searching around for information about demodex when we thought Lilo had it. I'm sure you have seen a ton of links online already about it, but here's a pretty good one I found while searching around.

http://www.dr-dan.com/red.htm

Stitch has had a small case of demodex on and off, so I'm sure REL will put in his 2 cents after he reads your post.

Good luck !

Kaz
kazuo
Site Admin

Postby Ariel Payopay » Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:56 pm

If she has a real bad case it will take awhile. Did they give you a shampoo to wash him every other day? They gave my dog some pills and I didn't see no change. Then they gave me Ivermectin. Which helps it out alot better than the pills. Stitch's demodex came back too. That was because we didn't know we had to follow up on his appointment after it cleared before. I know it is irritating to look at those bald spots. :( Just give it some time.
Ariel Payopay
Site Admin

demodex

Postby brindlepit » Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:17 pm

just came from the vet and to my surprise he actually said that she might need just one more treatment next week i felt a little relief but she got the 2 vacc and medication again but instead of 1 pill 2 times a day now is 1 time a day i'm hoping for the best. :pray thank you all for your advice.
brindlepit

natural alternatives

Postby heatherlyn » Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:58 pm

With our guy that came up with localized demodex we just worked on strengthening his immune system, we never used any chemicals or drugs. Along with certain dietary changes and herbs we used lemon rinses and homeopathy with great results.

A holistic vet in your area may have some different options for you.

Just a thought ...

Good luck!

Heather and All
www.BrisbeeTheWhite.com
heatherlyn
Adolescent Bully

need advice

Postby brindlepit » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:01 pm

strengthening the immune system? how?
lemon rinses?
brindlepit

Postby heatherlyn » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:50 pm

With a holistic veterinarian they look at the WHOLE dog, not just the symptoms. So instead of treating the symptoms of demodex, they're going to try to strengthen the dog's immune system so that the dog can take care of the mites himself.

Every dog will be different in what they need stay healthy, so a good holistic vet will work with you getting the full history of your dog to create a plan towards optimum health. For our dog, this meant using certain diet changes, supplements, herbs and homeopathy tailored specifically to him. We also used lemon rinses to help prevent the spread of the mites while we were working on strengthening his immune system.

Just an option if you feel the route you're taking now isn't working for your dog. Check out your phone book and see if there is a holistic vet in your area if you interested.

:-)

Heather and All
www.BrisbeeTheWhite.com
heatherlyn
Adolescent Bully

thank you

Postby brindlepit » Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:59 pm

so far the vet said that she might need one more treatment so i'm hoping for the best on monday, i wanna thank you all for your advice and if i dont see any improvement i'll definetly take a look at a holistic vet, again thank you.
brindlepit

cure 101...

Postby dogman » Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:53 pm

try giving him ivermectrin, it works great, give the dog less stress activity and vitamins....i tried putting petroleoum jelly on the affected area one time and after 2 days it's gone.....make his immune system stronger...theres no other way....vets usually tries to give immediate solution but it will cost you bucks....try my suggestion
1. less stress
2. ivermectrin( also good for heartworms)(read the labels b4 giving)
3. strong immune system(well balanced diet, vitamins)
4. pet jel.

there is no harm in trying!
dogman

Postby Amy » Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:52 am

I have a foster with really bad demodex right now, here is her link
http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=2398366

I started her out by giving her interceptor daily, it's a new treatment option. Then we switched to ivermectin daily for a little while. Right now, I don't have her on either and I won't do the dips as they are so toxic.

We had the holistic vet come over and Pip is on a bunch of supplements that she recommended. Someone also recommended using a mix of 2 cups of water and 15 drops of Grapefruit Seed Extract, you can find it online or at health food stores. I spray this on Pip twice a day. And, every third day, I use another ointment I found online, www.nustock.com I also give her baths with a medicated shampoo weekly.

Took her into my traditional vets last week and they couldn't believe how GREAT she looked for only a month into her treatment, especially since I told them I didn't want to do the dips. Usually, when demodex comes back, it's because the immune system wasn't strengthened. We had another pooch in our rescue that kept getting it back until they contacted a holistic vet, since then he hasn't had a relapse! And the traditional vet was recommending euthanasia...
Amy

another reason to hate AnimalCops/Detroit

Postby pitbullfan04 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:15 pm

Amy wrote:I have a foster with really bad demodex right now, here is her link
http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=2398366

Last night (a repeat show), they killed a dog BECAUSE it had demodex (or as their moronic cops call it: "the mange"), saying it was incurable
pitbullfan04

Postby Amy » Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:52 am

That frustrates me to no end. I can imagine there are bad enough cases out there that a dog is suffering so much, it would be inhumane to try to treat them, but I bet that wasn't the case this time. Pip looks SO great now, and it's only been a little over a month! I'm thrilled and so is she :)) She was pretty itchy and miserable at times, but in no way was she ready to throw in the towel, this is one fiesty little girl who wanted to live. She's been a real joy to take care of. :inlove:
Amy

Postby moto1320 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:47 pm

I am not a vet, so I cannot say what is correct- but I've been told by mine that Ivermectrin can be used/prescribed incorrectly with bad results. This was in response to a rescue that came in with horrible Demodex after a 20 something day treatment of Ivermec when I was picking up Daisy. Just a thought, in response to the give your dog this or that posts.
moto1320
Regulator

Return to Health Issues