had my first time with RMB

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
PrettyBoyStuntz
Newborn Bully

had my first time with RMB

Postby PrettyBoyStuntz » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:37 am

Diesel had is first time eating raw chicken last night. I weighed it out and he had half a breast and leg both with bone. I had onto it while he ate just to make sure that he would chew and not inhale it. He chews his premade raw, but never did I give him RMB before. Anyway he loved it my concern is though he seemed to do a lot of pulling on the skin and meat while I was holding it. When I put it in his bowl I am worried that he is going to end up running around the house with it, or taking it out of the bowl and stepping on it to rip the meat off. Any advice?

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:42 am

what, you dont like bodies running around the house by puppies?? LOL.... what you do is feed him this way a few times and use a special word to keep him at his bowl... or mat.... then give him the RMB and stand over him and repeat the word with praise if he keeps it there....

mine all have to eat either in their bowls or right below them for easy clean up, and i use a special word too..

as far as the chewing, that is what he is supposed to do.. chewing helps exercise him too, and works his brain as well.. all mine stand and chew as well, and sometimes they will stand on it and pull the meat off.. thats ok, its normal to do that..

PrettyBoyStuntz
Newborn Bully

Postby PrettyBoyStuntz » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:48 am

Ok, is there any special cleaners that people use to help with salmonella?

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:07 am

I just spray everything down with white vinegar and wash their bowls with hot soapy water. If they are eating on a towel, it goes in a special bag in the laundry room. If they are eating on a cheap vinyl table cloth/mat, that gets sprayed down with white vinegar too.

And it's good he is pulling on the skin and meat. It's good for his teeth.

PrettyBoyStuntz
Newborn Bully

Postby PrettyBoyStuntz » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:15 am

what about if they get some meat on them or if they end up stepping on it to chew, does he need to get disinfected too lol...

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:23 am

LOL no.. he will be fine.. i spray w/ white vinegar too, and wash the bowls every night.. plus i wash my hands after also..

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:38 am

You could always feed in the crate too and just disinfect the crate tray afterwards.

NatX
Matured Bully

Postby NatX » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:00 pm

After two years of developing the diet I feed my dogs I have found that either feeding them outside is good (but you have to bring the dish back in when they're done) or feed them in thier crate, which was said already, and really is easy to clean up the area if it does get messy.

For everyone, you don't have to be percise on howmuch and what you feed them everyday. Just think in terms of balancing out in a week time frame. Also ready as much as you can about raw feeding (you can never learn enough).

snwbrdrchic
Newborn Bully

Postby snwbrdrchic » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:58 pm

Riot was on raw chicken for awhile - and only raw chicken - we taught him he needed to keep it in his bowl - he was really good about not getting it all over the place. We did learn that you need to balance them out and give them fruits and veggies as well. Chicken alone is not good. (per the vet who highly recommends raw food diet)

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:31 pm

snwbrdrchic wrote:Riot was on raw chicken for awhile - and only raw chicken - we taught him he needed to keep it in his bowl - he was really good about not getting it all over the place. We did learn that you need to balance them out and give them fruits and veggies as well. Chicken alone is not good. (per the vet who highly recommends raw food diet)

dogs don't need fruits and veggies. many people choose to feed them if they're feeding the BARF diet. that being said, dogs also can't just live on chicken. variety is the spice of life! beef, chicken, deer, pork, fish, duck.. whatever you can get. throw in a bit of organ meat (especially liver), and voila, healthy pup! :thumbsup:

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:00 am

I feed one dog on the deck weather permitting, then spary it down with white vinegar and water
Feed one dog in crate, then wipe crate down with bleach and water
feed the 3rd dog on an area that is tiled, he is a little guy, has a small bowl and the bowel sits on a large paper plate, then wipe the area down with vinegar and water,
Bones are fed outside.
I hate after they eat their bens, becsue thye have the mess all over the legs or feet and it freaks me out when they get on the carpet, furuture or my lap. All I can think is, eww salmonela all over my house! Or they tyr t lick me after they eat raw, ewww
I am not sure if I will keep my dogs on raw much longer as I am not seeing all the beneifts that everyone always boasts of on raw, plus the germ thing makes me very uncomfoptable.(no more doggy kisses are allowed her and I like doggy kisses) Now every time I get a lick, I have to run to the bathroom and wash that area and it is getting old.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:54 am

good job - keep it up!

I wipe down with my trusty squirt bottle of 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 water. Hank likes to lick the floor clean.

Puppies can be messy - let him have a chance to clean himself up and then just do a paper-towel wipe down with the vinegar/water mix.

Variety is the spice of raw feeding! Once you get settled into chicken give something else a try!

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:13 am

I feed Ruby on the back porch or the lawn so she doesn't slime the parts around on the kitchen floor. (I HATE cleaning!)

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:15 am

crap, i get kisses from the dogs all the time and they eat raw..

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:35 am

Maryellen wrote:crap, i get kisses from the dogs all the time and they eat raw..

Ditto. And somewhere on here, I think it was the feeding raw with Children I saw this (quote below)

Misskiwi67 wrote:and dogs are documented to be chronic salmonella shedders when fed raw diets and constantly exposed.

I am constatnly touching and loving on my dogs and dont' wash my hands immediatly after. But, I haven't gotten ill. But then it also says children and those with low immune systems.

Return to “Health Issues”