-Bruno's jewel's aren't dropping?-

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Cboy1
Newborn Bully

-Bruno's jewel's aren't dropping?-

Postby Cboy1 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:17 pm

I know this question might sound a little disturbing to a few but I was wondering at what age/month do male Pit Bulls begin to show sign of "mature" age if you know what I'm saying. Cause I've been getting tons of great comments about his features but a lot of people tend to think that he's a girl cause you can't really see his junk hanging from the back. And I planned on using Bruno as a Stud to some of my friends and local people that have female Pit's for service but I don't know when he'll hit that age at this point. Plus he's peeing like a female dog and not really lifting one of his back legs to mark his territory and so on... Someone please give me some insight.

lovebeingme
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby lovebeingme » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:22 pm

The male dogs I have owned/fostered have had their testicles drop around 4-5 months.

The males here always peed like a girl until they were almost a year, unless they had a male house-mate they saw lift a leg.

What are your reasons for wanting to stud out your dog?

Cboy1
Newborn Bully

Postby Cboy1 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:35 pm

Dang cause coming up this Sunday will be exactly 5 month's for Bruno and my sister thinks that he's a dud only because we've only quite a few dogs and it wasn't long before they started showing signs of maturity.

Oh and that's good to know, just found it odd that he still did that after having so many male dogs and having it be natural for them.

Umm I hope it's not bad that I do, or is it? Umm one reason is because I had a friend who had a roomate that mated Pits and told me if you had a good looking male why not make some money out of it. And seeing how I knew quite a few people with female Pit's I thought I'd give it a try as soon as he get's old enough. Plus it all goes back to him getting so many comments and how sooo many other Pit Bull owners told me he was really good looking, beautiful, etc...

ZiggysMom
Super Bully

Postby ZiggysMom » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:37 pm

How old is he? And is it just that they aren't big, or that they aren't "in the sack" at all? If your boy's bits aren't even in the sack, that's called cryptorchidism and it really means he should be neutered. One, because cryptorchid testes are WAY more likely to develop cancer or other problems, two, because the problem is genetic and if he had pups he could pass it on. If the problem is just that he has little boy parts, I'd be patient. Dogs don't hit real puberty until 1-1 1/2 years old, and even if his parts stay small, they'll still work.

Just remember-- if you're going to breed, be a responsible breeder! Screen your dog for all possible genetic issues before you breed. Get his hips checked for hip dysplasia, look into his family history for any demodex, and make sure he has conformation and temperament worthy of the breed. Please don't make more pups unless both parents are truly tip-top examples of the breed in health, conformation, and temperament! It will take a lot of homework to be sure you're doing the right thing.

imperiumx1st

Postby imperiumx1st » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:37 pm

i wouldnt stud out a dog unless the dog is really breeding material...
b/c of people studing dogs out and bybs we have the problem we do
today... as you know... bsl...peta... etc etc.

mayb you can invite some of your friends and locals who have pitties
to this forum so they can b a bit more educated on the breed first &
choose whether to have their bitch preggo or not and etc. so they know
a little bit about bybs and the troubles of today for our breed.

im not trien to be rude or anything ( im sorry if i am/seem to be)
just give a little advice/help.

long story short... i had a friend who studded out his blue boy who was ukc registered and a line of show/service dogs. person who wanted the stud got his bitch preggo, pups were born then sold... soon after one of the pup buyers came back... with a law suit saying that person sold him a sick dog or something... then that person went to my friend who studded out his blue boy... and again long story short... there was a lot of trouble...
both for my friend and the person he studded his dog too...

anyways i just hope u make the right choice.

lovebeingme
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby lovebeingme » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:17 pm

Cboy1 wrote:
Umm I hope it's not bad that I do, or is it? Umm one reason is because I had a friend who had a roomate that mated Pits and told me if you had a good looking male why not make some money out of it. And seeing how I knew quite a few people with female Pit's I thought I'd give it a try as soon as he get's old enough. Plus it all goes back to him getting so many comments and how sooo many other Pit Bull owners told me he was really good looking, beautiful, etc...

Keep reading on this site, you will get alot of advice about breeding, or not.

I'm sure your dog is gorgeous, as are many other dogs, but being an owner of a pit bull takes a different kind of responsibility.

Unfortunately, our dogs are being persecuted, banned, killed, abused, over-bred, you name it!!

I'm not sure if you've looked into the over-population problem our breed is facing, but it is ENORMOUS! Dogs and pups are being euthanized on a daily basis because people are breeding their pits.

As far as making a buck......if you love our dog, making money off of her should not be a concern.

My personal opinion, would be to enjoy your dog. Love her, make her a breed ambassador, show the world what a great dog a pit bull can be, and spay her. For every pup your girl doesn't have, a pup is adopted in a shelter.

God luck.

The Diesel
Adolescent Bully

Postby The Diesel » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:20 pm

Search this site for info on breeding befor you do anything, you'll know if your good breeder material or not. Most people arent, i know im not.

Cboy1
Newborn Bully

Postby Cboy1 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:20 pm

[quote=ZiggysMom] How old is he? And is it just that they aren't big, or that they aren't "in the sack" at all? If your boy's bits aren't even in the sack, that's called cryptorchidism and it really means he should be neutered. One, because cryptorchid testes are WAY more likely to develop cancer or other problems, two, because the problem is genetic and if he had pups he could pass it on. If the problem is just that he has little boy parts, I'd be patient. Dogs don't hit real puberty until 1-1 1/2 years old, and even if his parts stay small, they'll still work.

Just remember-- if you're going to breed, be a responsible breeder! Screen your dog for all possible genetic issues before you breed. Get his hips checked for hip dysplasia, look into his family history for any demodex, and make sure he has conformation and temperament worthy of the breed. Please don't make more pups unless both parents are truly tip-top examples of the breed in health, conformation, and temperament! It will take a lot of homework to be sure you're doing the right [/quote]

He's 5 months as stated above and I'm sorry your response just made me laugh, literally. Hahaha but umm yeah his "bits" are there and in the sack, but it's just tiny? I only got the impression that his boys would be big only because I've seen his father and he was a good looking male. Yeah I will definitely do some research before I even consider it more so than I am now.

And thanks again to everyone and their feedback. But to answer a few questions, yes I am aware that our dog's have a population issue and some states are even banning them. With that said yes I am aware that they're notorious and infamous with all that's been said on the local news, but that can only go so far before it falls to a deaf ear to people like us who raise our Pit's responsibly. I just don't understand why ignorant people can't believe that Pit's are just like any other dog, who has a heart, a mind, a way to coexist with anyone or any dog for that matter(in some cases). Most dog lovers don't hesitate to ask me "can I pet him?" but then there are some people who ask "has he been socialized?" or "is he friendly?" all because the media has destroyed their image. Bahhh it sickens me, anyways thanks for all the help guys...

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:32 pm

I know its repeating what others have said. But SO many pitbulls are being euthanized, right in your area. If you breed, you are adding to that problem. I really hope that you will reconsider, or at least hold off until you can spend some time here and see where people are coming from.

I would also encourage you to visit a local shelter, which will be overflowing with pitbulls, so that you can see the beautiful dogs there that will most likely lose their lives because too many people are breeding pitbulls jsut for the hell fo it.

Cboy1
Newborn Bully

Postby Cboy1 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:58 pm

^^^Yeah I was actually gonna volunteer at a local animal shelter over the summer but didn't actually go through with it due to my busy work schedule. Thanks for the imput though and like I said I'll do some research before I do so.

*leenie*
Addicted to PBF

Postby *leenie* » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:41 am

unless your dog is a top of the line show dog with tons of titles, its not a good enough dog to be bred. there are to many "gorgeous" dogs dying in shelters because they were bred so someone could make a quick buck.. also breeding is not about the money, its about bettering the breed.

stick around and read more stuff. and hopefully you decide not to breed.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:08 am

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/breeding.cfm

I have to say that before actually GOING to the shelter and seeing whole litters of pups, cute little 8 week old Pit Bulls being put to sleep, the concept of how staggering the current Pit Bull over-population problem is in California is seemed a little abstract. How could this even be POSSIBLE? Unfortunately, it is not only possible, but a sad reality. Please help us help the breed by doing the responsible thing and NOT breeding your pup.

Cboy1
Newborn Bully

Postby Cboy1 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:00 am

^^^Wow, hmm it makes me want to neuter him or not breed him at that.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:59 am

you should also go spend a day with Tia out at Villalobos.

http://www.vrcpitbull.com/home.htm

I'm sure she'd be happy to see you.

A few months ago we had a mom, dad and whole littler of puppies brought into the shelter - - "too much work" they said.

The whole family was put to sleep. Nobody had the room for a family of 8 dogs.

This little girl just left our house a couple of weeks ago. She was "too much work" too and had "something gross" on her head. All she needed was some meds and good food.

Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 04100824 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:28 am

Cboy1 wrote:^^^Wow, hmm it makes me want to neuter him or not breed him at that.

There are many MANY more resources just like it, too.

http://www.happypitbull.com/getone/overpop.html

http://www.pitbullrescuesandiego.com/le ... lation.htm

http://www.pitbulllovers.com/pit-bull-puppies.html

Also, if you stud the dog out, you're not guaranteed that the owner of the bitch won't hand out a pup to every boob that walks in off the street. Even if they give the pups to "good homes" (most truly good owners won't buy from a BYB), then where will the puppies' offspring end up? Several puppies a year sold unaltered = several more = more open to bad owners, overpopulation, shelters, irresponsible owners, bad press, etc. It doesn't matter how good your dog looks to the one that ends up homeless, chained up in a dirt yard or in the news several litters down the line.

If you just like the look of big ole' balls, there are always neuticles! lol

Return to “Health Issues”