vomiting only at night. odd

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
pinsent
Adolescent Bully

vomiting only at night. odd

Postby pinsent » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:30 pm

not sure what the issue is here, and can't find anything other then take him to a vet. which we did, but all is well.

everything is fine, all day every day, well now it is, for the past bit
but playing, sleeping, running, jumping etc. doing all the puppy things all day.
time for bed and about 3-4hrs later. vomit. sometimes i hear him and wake up BEFORE, sometimes not till its on the bed. :(

first we thought the room was too warm, a few cold nights, nope not it.
then maybe we fed him too many kibble treats (normal food) before bed time, not 100% sure yet till tonite.

as well as we could have been over feeding him to close to bed time. which does and doesn't make since to me. cause he eats fine in the morning and sleeps off and on in the day and is fine.

poops = good
pee = good
eating = good
drinking = good

sometimes he vomits up food if he ate late, if not its the yellowish bile.
most times now its food.

today we measured out how much and gave him 3 feedings today = 2 cups. last feeding was about 730pm, nothing since, no treats or other food.

i find it really odd where its only in the middle of the night.
any thoughts?

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:35 pm

Is the longest period of time he goes without eating between dinner and breakfast?

If my dog's stomachs are a bit out of whack, they tend to bring up bile if they haven't eaten in a long time, like in the very early morning. Once we sort out their GI system in general, the early morning bile stops.

The only thing I've found that helps immediately is, if I wake up in time and catch the dog before they vomit, feeding a small amount of something (usually I give a small spoonful of plain yogurt) takes care of the problem 9 out of 10 times for my two.

pinsent
Adolescent Bully

Postby pinsent » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:46 pm

i can't be sure when the longest time was between feedings cause we were feeding him a few times in the day just not a lot at a time. i think still too much but more often.

when he vomited the bile yes it was the longest time, thats when we decided on the more feedings since his belly was a little ill.

but now that he is all fine again im cutting it to 3 meals, but i think i need to measure it out right and give him at certain times.

i did a search and found some dogs will eat and eat and eat. that sounds like him for sure.

going to give him 3/4 a cup 3 times a day
say about 730am - 2pm - 8pm
is that ok times? im trying to come up with times i know someone will be here.
most days i leave for work @ 8am, take my lunch around 2 ish and then home at 7pm

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:58 am

Don't know if this is connected or helpful but...Veronica recently had an episode of vomiting yellowish foamy bile first thing in the mornings. My vet said either a food was upsetting her stomach (just not agreeing with her) or it was connected to the allergy symptoms she was experiencing. I'm not sure what it was...but it stopped. :dunno:

pinsent
Adolescent Bully

Postby pinsent » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:38 pm

he might be alergic to somethign in the food, its a possibility.
had to pop into the vet today to get more canned food. and asked one of the tech's there and she said it was really odd too.
suggested maybe to not play with him tonite, just to see if thats it. where is is running around a good bit and then sleeping a lot.
who knows. worth a try.
then if it doesn't work. i;ll try not playing till about an hr before my bedtime instead of a few hrs then he sleeps and then gets up to go to bed.

anything is worth a try i guess.

RodentRanger
Super Bully

Postby RodentRanger » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:20 pm

I've known a lot of dogs who vomit in the wee hours from having an empty tummy. Can you try feeding at 7:30 am, a snack at say 2 or 3, dinner at about 8pm, then another snack at 11 pm, or right before you go to bed? Split the lunch serving between two snacks basically.
My girl hurls if she goes without food for more than 10-12 hrs.

pinsent
Adolescent Bully

Postby pinsent » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:20 pm

yep that can be done, but that would explain why he vomits with just bile, what about if he does eat about 11pm anyway? just say a small snack.

pinsent
Adolescent Bully

Postby pinsent » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:25 am

ok broke up his food more so yesterday and fed him a little over a cup of canned & kibble. total.
i know its not much but we need to find out whats causing it.
for the last meal it was at 11pm last night and we plaied till about 12.
went to bed since he was tired out a bit more.
went till 6am. puke
almost a whole night with no pee and vomit.
it was only bile though so im guessing he just didn't ahave enough to eat at 11
but its a start.
he is in for a big breakfast this morning, my wife is going to be home most of the day before work.

Return to “Health Issues”