Losing weight/Changing diet

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
pjrocco
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Losing weight/Changing diet

Postby pjrocco » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:55 am

I have been going back and forth with my 8 month old pit/mix. He was originally on Timberwolf and was doing well on it. He was eating three cups a day up till 6 months and growing like a weed. After a change in our finances we had to switch both our dogs to Canidae. After about a month of Canidae he started to have allergic reactions to the food and got worse as time progressed. We then switched him over to Nature's Variety Venison and Millet and he started off great on it. It has been roughly a month and he has began to lose weight. Although his allergies have gotten 10x better, he is still not totally back to what he used to be when he was on the Timberwolf. Also, within the last week he has been vomiting between the hours of 2:00am and 5:00am. It has happened three time this week. It is a white/clear foamy liquid... The vomiting I'm not so worried about because the first day he puked he ate a huge new rawhide that he has never had before. My guess it that is what made him sick and he is wearing it off. The quantity of vomit has gone down since the first day he threw up.

So we are positive he is allergic to rice and we think he had trouble with the sunflower oil as well. We wanted to go back to Timberwolf but at $61.99 for a 33lb bag, that is pushing our budget a little more than I like. (Thanks TW for adding another $10 per bag! *sigh*) If it comes does to my dogs overall health I'll pay the extra $21 per bag, but I think he can thrive on the Nature's Variety as well.

My questions... He is eating two cups of NV a day, one at 7am and one at 7pm. Should I keep him on the NV and feed a little more to get some weight back on him, or should I just bite the bullet and go back to TW? I could try another quality food, but I hate this food changing ever month and I hate to see him with an upset stomach. When he was on Canidae he was 7 months and a lean 51 pounds, he is now 8 months on NV and is a very very lean 45 pounds. Logically an 8 month old pup should be gaining weight not losing it, right?

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:04 am

Have you tried adding any raw to his diet? Google "satin balls" and make some...

pjrocco
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby pjrocco » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:46 pm

KadillacGrrl wrote:Have you tried adding any raw to his diet? Google "satin balls" and make some...

No I have not, although those sound interesting...

mareta
Newborn Bully

Postby mareta » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:28 pm

What really help me with my dog and food choice was getting an allergy test to comfirm what all my dog was allergic to.

We just went through a similar experience with our 2 year old-who we couldn't put weight on no matter how we tried. Not only did we find he had a lot of food allergies (more than we thought) we also found that he has a lot of environmental ones as well.
I hear you on the money problem, but I think that getting rid of the fustration is well worth it.

good luck :thumbsup:

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:47 pm

I don't think he is gettign enough to eat.
He is a young, growing male and they need a lot moree calories then 2 c a day, especially if you are going into winter in a cold climate.
Also, Because of the throwing up bile in the middle of the nght, that really makes me suspct of not getting enough to eat .
I have a mature female and she was eating NV, one cup in am and one cup in pm, plus I added either some can food or meats, chicken, or fish and that was to maintain her weight. She had already finished growing, so that amount was fine for her.
She, too, had started to throw up bile in the late nght or early morning hours, so I upped the food a little, split it into three meals, one about 10 pm and no more throwing up.
If he is utilizing all his his food to grow, his stomach is empty and thsu the bile upsets, it is too much acid in an empty stomach.

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:46 pm

When my dog was that age he ate 4 cups of Canidae per day. High metabolism! (Now he eats 2)

pjrocco
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby pjrocco » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:54 am

pblove wrote:I don't think he is gettign enough to eat.
He is a young, growing male and they need a lot moree calories then 2 c a day, especially if you are going into winter in a cold climate.
Also, Because of the throwing up bile in the middle of the nght, that really makes me suspct of not getting enough to eat .
I have a mature female and she was eating NV, one cup in am and one cup in pm, plus I added either some can food or meats, chicken, or fish and that was to maintain her weight. She had already finished growing, so that amount was fine for her.
She, too, had started to throw up bile in the late nght or early morning hours, so I upped the food a little, split it into three meals, one about 10 pm and no more throwing up.
If he is utilizing all his his food to grow, his stomach is empty and thsu the bile upsets, it is too much acid in an empty stomach.

Make sense to me... We put him back to 1.5 cups every 12 hours again and we'll see how it goes. I noticed today for the first time his last couple poops are very small and compacted... This is a good sign as well.

manznita3
Newborn Bully

Postby manznita3 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:37 am

Way OT, but that looks like one happy pup in your avatar. :)

pjrocco
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby pjrocco » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:14 am

manznita3 wrote:Way OT, but that looks like one happy pup in your avatar. :)

Return to “Health Issues”