Foot fetish...aka allergy toes - help!!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Rumpley
Bully Ambassador

Foot fetish...aka allergy toes - help!!

Postby Rumpley » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:15 pm

While I sort out Jammie Slammie's allergies, she has managed to chew her toes raw. You know...she has the classic fungus red, itchy feet of bullies! It's not food she's allergic to, but something outside as it's the worst when she returns in from walks. We're drying her toes, and giving her antihistamines, but she's still chewing all day and night.

I've heard of wiping itchy feet with apple cidar vinegar, but I'm worried as her feet are raw and open. I can't imagine putting vinegar on open skin - ouch!!

I also have a fungal/bacterial cream from the vet from my other dog (yup, we're a house full of allergy ridden bulldogs...) but I imagine she'll promptly lick it off.

Has anybody had any success with anything for feet while they're still "healing up" their dog's skin?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:16 pm

When romeos feet are red and raw, I bathe him in malaseb shampoo. It doesn't seem to bother his feet, even when his feet are bloody and raw, and it knocks the yeast back almost immediately when used properly (ie, wear soap for 15 minutes) and your pup can be feeling better fast!! During bad outbreaks I will bathe romeo every other day until he no longer licks his feet in the evenings. This can take up to 2 weeks when he's really bad, or just one bath when I catch an outbreak early.

Rumpley
Bully Ambassador

Postby Rumpley » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:43 am

Thanks!

Malaseb...I'll have to check that out. Is it similar to Nizoral, which is a human antifungal shampoo for dandruff and psoriasis? Or is it that stuff you get from the vet??? The name sounds familiar but I just can't place it!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:27 pm

You should be able to get it from your vet.

bamawrly
Super Bully

Postby bamawrly » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:47 pm

Rumpley wrote:Thanks!

Malaseb...I'll have to check that out. Is it similar to Nizoral, which is a human antifungal shampoo for dandruff and psoriasis? Or is it that stuff you get from the vet??? The name sounds familiar but I just can't place it!

Good stuff.

makedonce78
Newborn Bully

Postby makedonce78 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:13 pm

sorry to butt in, but I think I have the same problem with my pup. I doubt its food alergy, cuz he is obsessed only with his back paws (he can chew them and lick them for 15 min. straight) and it seems like he is even losing some hair and has some red sores around few of his nails. This is how it looks like:

Can it be grass?
Something else?
Go to the vet?
Or try something at home?

makedonce78
Newborn Bully

Postby makedonce78 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:13 pm

oops, sorry for the huge pix :(

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:04 pm

My pup gets those brown stains on his nails when he's starting to get a yeast infection. I'd go to the vet and get some meds for him. Yeast is INCREDIBLY itchy.

makedonce78
Newborn Bully

Postby makedonce78 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:16 pm

I am worried about the red on his flesh above his nails too. Its from excessive chewing. I will monitor him through the weekend and most likely I will be calling the vet :thumbsup:

Odnarb

Postby Odnarb » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:19 pm

I'm just going to add another thumbs up for the Malaseb :thumbsup:

makedonce78
Newborn Bully

Postby makedonce78 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:53 am

one vet visit and 150$ later, we found out its not yeast or mange, the vet said skin infection. Gave me $38 bottle of spray based on hydrocortisone and a bottle of cephalexin.

Can I just buy a 3$ HYDROCORTIZONE cream from the store instead? And I soooo will buy that malaseb. I seen a lot of guys here swear by it :thumbsup:

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:22 am

makedonce78 wrote:one vet visit and 150$ later, we found out its not yeast or mange, the vet said skin infection. Gave me $38 bottle of spray based on hydrocortisone and a bottle of cephalexin.

Can I just buy a 3$ HYDROCORTIZONE cream from the store instead? And I soooo will buy that malaseb. I seen a lot of guys here swear by it :thumbsup:

Cortisone is a steroid... it will decrease the swelling. Its a low dose, but it WILL be absorbed systemically and will cause all of the long term side effects of steroids when used long-term. It should be used as a short-term anti-inflammatory only.

Malaseb is for yeast... so if the vet didn't find any yeast then you can probably hold off for now and wait to see how the antibiotics do. Yeast are far itchier than bacteria though... so if your pup is really chewing its feet, I'd suspect there's a few yeast that just got missed.

makedonce78
Newborn Bully

Postby makedonce78 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:23 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:
makedonce78 wrote:one vet visit and 150$ later, we found out its not yeast or mange, the vet said skin infection. Gave me $38 bottle of spray based on hydrocortisone and a bottle of cephalexin.

Cortisone is a steroid... it will decrease the swelling. Its a low dose, but it WILL be absorbed systemically and will cause all of the long term side effects of steroids when used long-term. It should be used as a short-term anti-inflammatory only.

Malaseb is for yeast... so if the vet didn't find any yeast then you can probably hold off for now and wait to see how the antibiotics do. Yeast are far itchier than bacteria though... so if your pup is really chewing its feet, I'd suspect there's a few yeast that just got missed.

he is not doing it that bad anymore, the chewing I mean. So I am guessing and hoping the vet didnt miss anything. But if this happens again sometimes in the future, and the vet gives him cortison spray again.......can I refuse to take that one and just buy a regular cortisone cream or spray from the pet store? It would be a lot cheaper. Like 20-25$ cheaper

Return to “Health Issues”