poop eaters???

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
poopster
Super Bully

poop eaters???

Postby poopster » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:44 am

So do any of you have a “kitty poop eater”? We just moved into a new place and I have the boxes in my bathroom and no way of blocking off the door way or getting them off the ground. She knows its bad since she does this army crawl thing on her tummy ….ya know since that makes her invisible. My concern is she has been sick from it very nice pout of puking it up. She has no other bad habits other them disemboweling her toys at times. My mother who is also a trainer and behaviorist and myself have tried everything but there is seemingly nothing that will keep her from her “tastey” treasure. I cant do anything to the litter since my cats will boycott pooping in the box……….that would not be fun. Anyone have any tricks or ideas to try?

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:49 am

The only thing that worked for me was blocking off the cat room with a baby gate. That probably wouldn't help with your bathroom, though. Good luck, I know how icky it is!
Jen

AriesGodofWar
Super Bully

Postby AriesGodofWar » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:06 am

Try getting one of those covered litter boxes from Wal-Mart, and then turn the opening toward the wall and pull it away from the wall just enough for Kitty to get in. I did this when I was in a similar situation with my dogs and it worked just fine. Thankfully I now have cat doors and those work just fine except when it storms and Aries gets scared. She tried to fit through the door. She has destroyed two doors this way. :crybaby:

snwbrdrchic
Newborn Bully

Postby snwbrdrchic » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:25 pm

My mom's cocker spaniel loves cat poo - she as well got a cover for the box and had the opening face a wall - cats were still able to get in but dog couldnt figure it out

amelie
Matured Bully

Postby amelie » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:18 pm

my boyfriend built "cat closets" upstais when we bought this house. they are big enough for two litterboxes each (we have 5 cats), their food dishes, a scratcher, storage for litter and room for me to get in there to do the cleaning, they have regular doord and each has a "kitty door" so they are the only ones that can get in. our smaller 2 pitties can get their heads in if they try, but they can not reach anything, unless someone kicked a turd over the side. maybe you could do something similar? the other thing someone just told me is you can take a rubbermaid tote, cut a kitty size hole in the top, and put the litter in there, i guess if the hole is small enough, the dog cant reach the treasure.

1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 1lila1 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:45 pm

We keep our kitty boxes on the upstairs and downstairs bathrooms. I used to block them off with a baby gate. Lila LOVED her cat poop snacks! Ick!! What's weird though is that this past year since she's been on a 100% raw diet she hasn't even tried it once. We haven't had the gates up, except the one with the cat food in it, for months now and we've had no problem. But they really worked when we needed them.

pjrocco
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby pjrocco » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:54 pm

My dogs are cat poop freaks, so we use these.

dragynflye
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby dragynflye » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:22 am

:duh: (hehe, i had to!)

that's basically what we use, only instead of paying like $35 for one at petco, we got a storage tote from walmart and cut a hole in the lid. works like a charm!

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:07 am

We had this problem with our most recent dog. We'd had the whole she-bang figured out for other puppy fosters but this one was a small dog. An athletic small dog. He can jump baby gates like a cat, squeeze thourgh cat doors, you name it.

We couldn't really baracade the boxes any better than we had done and I thought that all this cat poop searhcing out could mean a problem with his diet.

After some research, we read that a lacking in B-12 and some other micronutrients can create an "urge" in dogs to eat cat poop. We were also having a tough time getting him to eat organ meats (they are all raw fed)

So, every morning he get just a small snack of a crushed b-12 mixed with a veggie/meat grind (veggies, ground turkey, ground up lamb liver and kidney) with ACV, Salmon Oil and a powdered supplement.

The poop eating has stopped.

for the most part,
last weekend we were gone Fri-Sun. The dogs went with us and I, stupidly, forgot the supplement baggie with his stuff. We came home Sunday evening and within an hour - he had made a bee lin to the litter box.

I cuaght him heading in there and gave him his supplements instead. and we have'n t had a box incident since.

1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 1lila1 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:45 am

That's interesting, Fransterdoo. I bet Lila had a deficiency like that too since her cat poop snacking days were gone once she started on raw full time!

pjrocco
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby pjrocco » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:23 am

dragynflye wrote::duh: (hehe, i had to!)

that's basically what we use, only instead of paying like $35 for one at petco, we got a storage tote from walmart and cut a hole in the lid. works like a charm!

We bought them for $14.95 a piece at our local hole in the wall pet store. They are exactly the same as the Clever Cat but off brand. The Rubbermaid tubs that were similar in side were $8.99 with a smooth top. I didn't mind spending the extra $5.96 for the hole already there and a better top.

:switch:

Return to “Health Issues”