Question about excessive drooling

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
mypitmika
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Question about excessive drooling

Postby mypitmika » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:56 am

My dog, Mika, rarely ever drools. When she does, it's usually when she's running around the yard like a maniac or she's sniffing out the chipmunk that she chases. Other than that, she never drools.

This morning, when I was getting ready to leave the house, she was drooling a LOT. There were drips all over my floor, it was hanging out of her mouth. She seemed "different", but I don't know what. I looked in her mouth and there was nothing there. She didn't want to lay down, she just sat there and looked at me...

I did start the switch over to a new food yesterday. She seemed to like it, she licked the bowl clean. Trying Merrick Chicken Pot Pie.

Any ideas as to why she might be drooling so much of acting this way?

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:02 am

Dogs often drool excessively when they have an upset stomach. It may be the new food throwing her system off a little bit... you may just want to make sure you go very slowly with the switch. Start off with tiny amounts of the new food mixed with the old, and give her plenty of time to adjust.

mypitmika
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby mypitmika » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:05 am

I was thinking it probably had something to do with the food. Although last night she was fine and this morning she was fine...she didn't start acting funny and drooling all over the place until I was getting ready to leave for work.

I'll make sure that I do the switch slowly and keep it to just a little bit at a time for now.

Thank you so much for responding!

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:03 am

the excessive drooling is called Separation Anxiety... i had a foster husky that had it very bad.. i would come home and every day her and her crate were covered in liquid.. something scared her in her crate , as when i first had her she was fine.. we solved the problem by not crating her and gating her in a hallway.

some dogs who were never crated before or in a new home will have separation anxiety..

deedeesmom
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby deedeesmom » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:15 am

Maryellen wrote:the excessive drooling is called Separation Anxiety... i had a foster husky that had it very bad.. i would come home and every day her and her crate were covered in liquid.. something scared her in her crate , as when i first had her she was fine.. we solved the problem by not crating her and gating her in a hallway.

some dogs who were never crated before or in a new home will have separation anxiety..

In a dog that has never done it before? This isn't a new addition to the home, an established dog. I very highly doubt its seperation anxiety. It could be an upset tummy to the new food, but what worries me is that she isn't acting herself. If she acts funny at all when you get home, I might call a vet. Drooling can be a sign of poisoning.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:22 am

Drooling, as others have mentioned, can be the result of different things. In my experience it's always been one of three things: nausea/upset stomach, nervousness/anxiety or anticipation of food.

Since you mentioned switching food, I would guess an upset stomach, but something could be upsetting her.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:27 am

its very possible that when you were gone, either a noise spooked her , or something fell in the house and spooked her, or it was thundering that time..

the foster i had i had for 4 months, no issues, i came home one day and she had drooled all over herself and her crate, and every time i put her in her crate to leave she got all weird on me.

it is possible its the food, but i am thinking something scared her while she was in her crate and no one was home..

eeetripl
Newborn Bully

Postby eeetripl » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:15 pm

I"m sorry guys and I don't mean to hi-jack this thread but my Kenai drools ALOT.... We kind of accepted it as being part of who he is... He acts like he's always does which seems to me like a happy dog, but he just drools... He's done this for as long as I can remember and he's only 2. The drool happens about 75% of the time. Is this something I should be concerned about?

When I say alot... he literally will be just sitting there and he's just dripping. Sometimes I don't know whats worse, walking around in socks or being barefoot........

deedeesmom
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby deedeesmom » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:51 pm

If its something he has always done and acts happy and healthy in every other way, I wouldn't worry. Its just who he is. Some dogs drool, some don't :D . Can't say I envy you tho, that is one of the things that attracted me to pits, lack of excessive drooling... ewwwwww lol.

mypitmika
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby mypitmika » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:16 pm

Sorry I haven't been able to log on since this morning. Thank you all for your replies and your concern.

Mika is with her Gramma all day - and I've talked to my mom several times today (I was so worried this morning), but she says Mika is no longer drooling and is acting fine.

Nothing spooked her. She was laying on my bed (as she does EVERY morning while I get ready for work - doing my hair, getting dressed, etc - she's like my shadow, where I am, she is) and she came over to me and dripped drool all over my foot. I get up and there's drool spots all over the floor and on my bed. It's hanging from her mouth. I wiped her up and sat on the bed, gave her a good belly rub and she just sat there, didn't lick me and stuff like she usually does (she can be VERY affectionate with "kisses"). She looked sad when I left, and she's NEVER like that. She's not crated when I leave - she's a great dog and has the run of the house all the time.

My mom let her outside for a while so if she felt like she needed to eat some grass and yack, she could. My mom said she didn't throw up or anything, and had stopped the drooling thing in about an hour.

I'm thinking PitFriend was right on with the upset tummy. I will mix more of her old food in with the new food until she seems to be ok. She's been on the "old" food for years - it was probably just too much too soon with the switch.

I'm counting down the time until I can see her and how she's doing, although Gramma has been so good at giving me updates all day!!

mypitmika
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby mypitmika » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:28 am

Just letting you all know that Mika is all fine now. I guess I was worried about nothing. I think it was just an upset tummy. She never threw up though.

I was at about half and half for old and new food, so I put a little less new food and a little more old food inher bowl last night - she chomped it down and didn't have any more drooling episodes. Same with this morning.

I think maybe I was pushing the switch a little too quickly.

Thanks all for your responses!

deedeesmom
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby deedeesmom » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:17 am

:thumbsup: I'm so happy it was nothing!! It most likely was the food switch.. which is odd cause i always hear other people say how thier dogs are with food switchs and they have to do them slow... I never do and never have a problem. Maybe my dogs are weirdos tho, lol. and no, I don't switch thier food often, just this past year. I like to keep all the dogs on the same brand of food at least, and allergy dogs food was recalled, so everytime he has to switch, the girls do to so they stay on the same brand if not the same formula.

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:45 am

Another "not to hijack your thread" post, but this morning Ella was drooling.
She NEVER EVER drools unless I am preparing her food or making her do a "down wait" before I let her eat.

NEVER.

I had drool spots all over my bed.
I know she didn't get into anything because, well, there's nothing anywhere for her to get into and even if there was, Ella doesn't just eat stuff.

All I know is that I've been giving her benadryl for her allergies lately, but hadn't given her any this morning before she started drooling.
She wasn't heaving like she was going to vomit.
I was concerned.
But I fed her breakfast and no more drooling now.
Weird.

Can allergies make a dog drool? Or can giving benadryl?
Other than the drooling she's fine. I mean, I cleaned her ears because they were smelling a tad yeasty, but that's happened before and cleaning them clears that right up (and her ears weren't bad when I cleaned them).

mypitmika
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby mypitmika » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:13 pm

Chewbecca - I've been giving Mika benedryl lately too! Although I wanted to make the food switch clean with her - so she hasn't had any benedryl for over a week.

Hmmm...I wonder if it had something to do with the allergies?

Mika NEVER drools either. I've only seen her like that twice...and once was when she had a poor chipmunk trapped in a piece of gutter that we had in the backyard!

I'm switching Mika's food BECAUSE of her allergies. She's itchy, her skin is very pink and she's just not happy, I can tell. So I'm going from the old stand by "bad" food to something better for her. She likes it and I'm hoping I see a difference in her in the next month or so. For her sake! I also just started adding Fish Oil to her food...wonder if that would have upset her tummy?!

Return to “Health Issues”