Judging a Food by its ingredients

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
AriesGodofWar
Super Bully

Judging a Food by its ingredients

Postby AriesGodofWar » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:47 pm

I have seen many threads where folks blast certain foods due to who makes them, where they are sold, how much they cost, etc. So, I was wondering if I could get some opinions based only on the ingredients of a particular food, without disclosing the name to prevent any bias.

Here is the background, I have 3 APBT/APBT Mixes. I have been feeding RC Bulldog 24 for a while now and had no problems whatsoever with it. However, at nearly $40 a bag, it is getting uber cost prohibative to continue to feed it. So, I have done a bit of searching for a new lower cost food that was both good for my dogs and my wallet. In a perfect world where I had unlimited money, I would feed Canidae or RC Bulldogs, or Innova EVO, etc. However, that is not the case. I came across this food and it appears, to me at least, to contain a good list of ingredients in the correct order (at least 3 out of the 1st five are an animal source), while at the same time not killing my wallet. BTW, my dogs are all in shape, but are essentially "petbulls," so besides walks, and running and rolling around in the yard with each other, they do not have any super nutritional requirements.

Without much adieu, here is the ingredient list from the bag:

Lamb, chicken meal (natural source of glucosamine), ground whole grain sorghum, brewers rice, ground barley, checken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), dried beet pulp, carrots, natural flavor, ground flaxseed, peas, potassium chloride, dried egg product, brewers dried yeast, salt, blueberry pomace, monocalcium phosphate, taurine, Vitamine E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, choline chloride, proteinated minerals (zinc, manganese, copper), niacin, copper sulfate, Vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganous oxide, Vitamin B12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), riboflavin supplement (source of Vitamin B2), sodium selenite, calcium iodate, folic acid, Vitamin D3 supplement, cobalt caronate

Does anyone see any major problems with it that I might be missing? Just wanted to get some input as I do not want to sacrifice the health of my dogs, but at the same time, if I cannot make my house note, it will not really matter.

Thanks!

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:51 pm

Looks good - but quite comparable to the food we feed which is about .50 cents /lb ;)

AriesGodofWar
Super Bully

Postby AriesGodofWar » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:56 pm

msvette2u wrote:Looks good - but quite comparable to the food we feed which is about .50 cents /lb ;)

That is about the price of this stuff. I thought I saw you mention Kirkland in another thread. Is that what you are referring to feeding? The only thing is, I have tried both the lamb and rice, and within the last 2 weeks, the Chicken and Rice, and both made my dogs unbelievably gassy. That was the whole reason I had chosen the RC Bulldog over all of the other foods in the same price range, as it was the only one that I can honestly say, that for the year I have been feeding it, there was no noticable gas. I really could careless if they are gassy or not, but it is quite the point of contention between my wife and I.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:05 pm

I'd spoon in some yogurt and keep in mind it takes at least a week for a dog's system to adjust when changing foods.

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:01 pm

This might make you feel better. This opinion is given by a board certified veterinary nutritionist. The reason I give it so much weight is that the only thing they sell is consultation on homemade diets. So it goes against their interest giving the opinion they do. Check it out for yourself:
http://www.petdiets.com/default.asp?Men ... ingred.asp

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:01 pm

The only ingredient I see in there that I'd really disapprove of is the brewers rice, and that's just because it isn't worth much more than filler. It has little nutritional value. It's not high on the list, though, so you may not be paying for too much of it.

Return to “Health Issues”