raw feeders, when do you stop worrying?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
BabyReba

raw feeders, when do you stop worrying?

Postby BabyReba » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:40 am

hey fellow raw feeders, i've been feeding my dogs an all-raw diet for going on 9 months or so now . . . in the past i've fed variations on the raw theme, 50/50 raw/kibble, etc.

my question is, when do you stop worrying every time someone says something to you about what you feed/how you feed, etc.?

today i called a butcher shop to ask about prices on scrap and offal and stuff, and the guy was super nice but very critical. he said he knows a lot of people who feed raw because they buy from the shop, and he said he brings some scrap home for his dogs but he still wouldn't feed them a straight raw diet . . . we talked for a bit and moved on from there. then when i asked him about chicken parts, he said he doesn't believe in feeding backs or necks, but he'd sell them to me if i really wanted them. and he also made a few comments about liver being too high in cholesterol, scrap and trimmings too high in fat, etc. seemed like every option they had for sale he was critical of, and even though i know what i want and i made an order (10 pounds of heart and 10 pounds of beef scrap and 5 pounds of liver, to supplement the K9 Kraving premade raw i feed) i can't stop thinking about all the various criticisms of the various cuts of meat i ordered.

when do you stop second-guessing your decisions and trust the information you have?

it makes me crazy--i would feel better, i think, if my vet was a raw feeding proponent but she's not. she tolerates it and won't try to get me to go back to kibble, but she won't advise on raw feeding either because it's not her area of expertise.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:58 am

omg! i just posted something similar to this on another board! LOL

GuardianAMBULL
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby GuardianAMBULL » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:15 am

ERin... proof is in the pudding.........and your dogs look FANTASTIC!

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:18 am

when my dog looks healthy, when her teeth are clean, when she's excited for dinner, when her breath doesn't smell, when her coat's nice and shiney, when she's not riddled with allergies... THAT'S when i stopped listening to the "omg you feed your dog WHAT?!"

i must admit, i was hesitant at first, but then i signed up with the yahoo raw feeding group and realised that there's a LOT of raw feeders out there (10,000+ on that list now!). once you relax and realise you're doing the right thing, then you'll start to get a kick out of the reactions you get from people. i love having people over at dinner time now, just to see the look on their faces as i toss a slab of pork ribs on the deck for the dog to eat lol

occasionally i get the "you're going to kill your dog" thing from people, but then when i ask what they're feeding, and it's something like 'iams' then i just smile and walk away. my mom was horrified when she found out what i feed my dog, but now i get phonecalls from her like "david (my brother) just caught two 16lb salmons. do you want me to save the head/back/guts for maggie?"

i'm not trying to convert the masses, i'm just trying to feed my dog a healthy diet.

oh, and that butcher was VERY wrong. dogs need liver. that's really not much of an option. my dog hates it fresh, but loves it frozen!

Pineapples
Super Bully

Postby Pineapples » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:19 am

I stopped worrying about two weeks after I switched. that was four years ago. :)
The dogs tell me it's working, so who am I to argue. Right?

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:22 am

about the same time you stop worrying about people judgng you b/c you have a pit bull.

if all else fails - I throw out a little white lie.

"thanks so much. My vet and I have created this menu with a holisitic canine nutritionist."

that usually shuts up the nay-sayers

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:13 pm

I agree with Fransterdoo. Feeding Raw is sooooo much like having a Pit Bull.

You know the truth. Ignore the naysayers, they aren't going to change.

I would say that I've remained open minded to ANY information from either side. This isn't because I expect to return to kibble, but because it enables me to understand the kibble feeders' fears and to address them before THEY bring up the topic. It also spurs me to continue to read and learn more about canine nutrition and health.

Marie

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:00 pm

yep, i agree with everyone else.. i stopped worrying when i saw the dramatic change in jesse once on raw

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:35 pm

the worry isn't so much in the diet itself--it's in the second guessing all my decisions especially when someone makes comments about how it's being fed.

when someone says, "well those are too bony, you shouldn't feed those," i think, "wow, well maybe they are too bony, maybe i should rethink that."

when someone tells me that 50/50 is too fatty to feed, even though i'm mixing it into something and my desire is to increase fat in the diet, i wonder if maybe i'm on the wrong track there and maybe i should just increase calories all 'round rather than up the fats.

it's more the figuring and getting comfortable with things that i'm having issues with. i don't have any problem feeding raw in and of itself. i guess i'm just underconfident and prone to worry about whether i'm making good choices. :frown:

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:54 pm

I'm a worrywart too, BabyReba, I'm always second guessing myself.

But then I think- you know, if something I was doing in her diet was wrong, she wouldn't be looking and acting as good as she is. Until something goes funky, I know I'm doing right. :thumbsup:

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:57 pm

i had the local butcher and the guy at weis tell me the same thing... after they made gross faces when i told them what i want.. look at it this way, everyone is so used to hearing bad things about raw, that when presented with someone actually feeding raw they feel they have to warn you about what they have heard on tv/news/paper etc...... yet they would never feed it to their dogs, but if you ask them what type of dog food they feed their pets i bet they will say purina,or ol roy or sc or eukanueba..

after feeding it for as long as you and others have, if you see the results of your pets on raw, you just have to ignore the "we know it all" comments from people in the food industry... after all, raw food makes dogs attack humans .... roflmao .

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:59 pm

i generally try to feed 80/10/10
80% meat, 10% bone, 10%organs (half of which is liver).

do i weigh anything? no.
if the dog's happy, wieghts fine, and poops are normal, then all is good.

if maggie's having a hard time pooping, then she gets less bone and more meat/organ. if she's sh1tting throught the eye of a needle, then she's not getting enough bone! lol

as long as you've got some variety, you're WAY ahead of kibble. :thumbsup:

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:29 pm

well I have been feeding it about 7 months now and I am not seeing all those results that I have alwys read about on forums.
my dogs still do get doggy odor
they still have the same doggy breath
they still occasionally get gas
their teeth look o different
the 15 yo still has that greasy strip down her back and flakes on her fur/skin
the two lil dogs still have that brown strip that runs down their face from their eyes
Paige lost a lot of muslce mass
the senior dog got fat for the first time since I adopted her(about 6 years ago, and I cannot feed her anyless as she goes around licking the floor like she is starved, eating hair, lint and anything else she can lick up and she had never done this before feeding raw)
But
I do have a LOT less poop to clean up.
I have a distant relative that is a vet, she had fed raw for some time unitl she went in practice with some holisitc vets. She has invited me to come and stay with her for a week, go to work with her everyday and see the results of all the raw fed problems for just that one week. (she swears I would never feed raw again if I spent just one week in her office.
The holisitc vet that Paige used to go to has also firmly advised me on winging it, said to only feed pre -made unless a dog dietician has given me a specific menu/plan for each dog here, said there is no wayI can balance their diets by guessing or tweaking?
It is way too expensive to feed raw, there are no cheap sourcse to get meats around here, even on the faw feeding list.
I feel like I have given it a good try, but for the prices I am paying and not seeing any of the resutls I wanted to see, not so sure if it is worth it.
. :dunno:

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:35 pm

i just wing it. they get boned meat for dinner 4 nights a week, with organ meat, fish, eggs . and the other 3 nights its boneless meat, with organs, fish, eggs , and i always do salmon oil and organic kelp too with both meals.. i dont even weigh the bowls, if it looks ok then the dogs get it. i feed all sorts of meats, with chicken being the primary.. like last night they all got venison and rabbit, with a chicken wing tossed in..

i see a noticable difference more with jesse the allergy dog, and the other 2 i do see a nice difference, more energy, less doggy breath, smoothier coats, and of course, the poops are fantastic!

it took jesse 3 months of detox before i started to see a slight improvement, and during those 3 months she looked horrible.. but after the 3 month mark she started showing a great coat, nice energy, actually calmer, and her allergies subsided somewhat on raw. i can never do kibble with her as she is allergic to storage mites which are in dry food.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:46 pm

BabyReba wrote:the worry isn't so much in the diet itself--it's in the second guessing all my decisions especially when someone makes comments about how it's being fed.

when someone says, "well those are too bony, you shouldn't feed those," i think, "wow, well maybe they are too bony, maybe i should rethink that."

when someone tells me that 50/50 is too fatty to feed, even though i'm mixing it into something and my desire is to increase fat in the diet, i wonder if maybe i'm on the wrong track there and maybe i should just increase calories all 'round rather than up the fats.

it's more the figuring and getting comfortable with things that i'm having issues with. i don't have any problem feeding raw in and of itself. i guess i'm just underconfident and prone to worry about whether i'm making good choices. :frown:

These are the reasons I'm still feeding pre-made raw, and even then, when I read 'X is too bony' or 'Y has too many ingredients' I get all paranoid about what I'm feeding.

There is also so much info, much of which contradicts what you read 5 minutes earlier, that it makes my head hurt and stops me from just doing it DIY style. So yeah, all that to say, I feel your pain lol

Return to “Health Issues”