Pits and shedding

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:58 pm

Canidae - no shedding from the pit bull and minimal shedding from the boxer

NEWYORKNORA
Matured Bully

Postby NEWYORKNORA » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:11 am

.we moved to New York from Las Vegas and uh.. when we arrived in August Nora didn't know what to do with herself! The weather here changes so much.. one day it's hot, the other day it's cold and it rains... She was losing hair like you wouldn't believe.... In Vegas, no shedding at all. probably because it's hot there all year around, ha!

.But I have noticed that since we put her on Raw she doesn't shed that much anymore!!!!

goldenstatefan
Newborn Bully

Postby goldenstatefan » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:09 pm

KeelazMom wrote:Canidae - no shedding from the pit bull and minimal shedding from the boxer

Hi KeelazMom, thanks for the reply. Call me crazy but what is Canidae? I'm a new owner, and although I have researched the breed for a little while, never heard of this.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:01 pm

Niether Molly nor Logan hardly shed. The only time I can see detectable fur is when Logan scratches around his neck area which is white and his fur is a bit longer in that area than the other parts of his body.

Allie, I feed NV dry, various high quality canned food, canned salmon, raw eggs, mackeral and raw.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:05 pm

Deniselynn wrote:Niether Molly nor Logan hardly shed. The only time I can see detectable fur is when Logan scratches around his neck area which is white and his fur is a bit longer in that area than the other parts of his body.

Allie, I feed NV dry, various high quality canned food, canned salmon, raw eggs, mackeral and raw.

NV just became available here, so I am thinking of switching from Canidae to NV over a period of time. Do you recommend a particular NV formula? I think we can get Prairie. I think our feeding would be similar to yours. My dogs currently get Canidae with canned Merrick, mackrel, eggs and raw on occasion.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:18 pm

I give the dogs NV New Zealand Venison Meal & Millet. I have had positive results with it.

If you want, I can supply a coupon so you can get a free bag of kibble and free bag of raw medallions.

HUGaBULLyo
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby HUGaBULLyo » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:08 am

Allie wrote:For those of you with non-shedding pits, what are you feeding?!
Maybe I thought it was normal for my dogs to shed like they do and really it's not normal....

raw & kibble ( kirkland sig. ) best dry i can afford=/ i wish someone would throw me like 100 lb of tb but ya wont happen :oops: so i just dream of it
every night lol

damienApbt

Postby damienApbt » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:14 am

rods on an all raw diet and sheds like its his job too. I guess some shed more than others. He has a great coat though.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:16 am

damienApbt wrote:rods on an all raw diet and sheds like its his job too. I guess some shed more than others. He has a great coat though.

Thanks for that-- makes me feel a little better.

I am going to try the switch just to see if my dogs do any better on NV anyway. They used to be on raw a long time ago and it didn't work out for them.

The Diesel
Adolescent Bully

Postby The Diesel » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:25 pm

We fed canidae and now were on natures variety and no shedding at all.

The Diesel
Adolescent Bully

Postby The Diesel » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:30 pm

Deniselynn wrote:I give the dogs NV New Zealand Venison Meal & Millet. I have had positive results with it.

If you want, I can supply a coupon so you can get a free bag of kibble and free bag of raw medallions.

Oh oh pick me pick me! How do I get a coupon? Lol.

Annika
Addicted to PBF

Postby Annika » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:55 pm

I'd say Piper sheds moderately. Since the hairs are like little eyelashes, it's so not a big deal. I brush them off my sweater, sweep them off the floor. Piper has tried lots of different kinds of food and I noticed no difference in how much or how little she shed. I did, however, notice that she shed more in the summertime when it was really hot.

docdeath
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby docdeath » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:16 pm

Canidae, carmella shed really bad and it took like 8 months of feeding her Canidae before the shedding slowed down, now almost a year later we hardly notice any shedding at all...

BayouRat
Newborn Bully

Postby BayouRat » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:39 pm

My dog started shedding like crazy recently we have hair on stuff he has never been around how does that happen? I was told be a person in PETSMART I could use a supplement add it to his food and drastically stop hair loss. Pretty cheap around 7.00 and I heard last up to 2 months I will check it out this weekend keep who ever wants to know posted.

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:39 pm

BayouRat wrote:My dog started shedding like crazy recently we have hair on stuff he has never been around how does that happen? I was told be a person in PETSMART I could use a supplement add it to his food and drastically stop hair loss. Pretty cheap around 7.00 and I heard last up to 2 months I will check it out this weekend keep who ever wants to know posted.

If you start with a high quality food, you can add some fish or salmon oil to it. But good food is really the basis.

The supplements in pet stores are generally more expensive than if you bought something similar at the grocery store. I can get a huge thing of fish oil at Walmart for way less than the 'no shed' products.

Return to “Health Issues”