Flea Problem

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Accost
Newborn Bully

Flea Problem

Postby Accost » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:07 pm

I have tried a bunch of shampoos for fleas, and also have applied 2 cycles of frontline plus on my dog and he still has fleas. What options do i have left?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:33 pm

The flea population on your dog is only 1% of the total fleas in your household. Have you done anything to control the fleas in the rest of the house??

Fleas, especially in the south where they are so common, can become immune to the drug found in Frontline, so you can try a different flea preventative. I would recommend something with Pyrethrins, such as Top Spot or Advantix and make sure you apply it correctly, use the correct dosage, and apply EVERY MONTH. If you have any other animals in the house, they should be treated as well. Both of the previously recommended drugs are toxic to cats, so make sure to use a drug that is safe for those species.

Accost
Newborn Bully

Postby Accost » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:06 pm

im constantly tryin to vacuum everything, dont know how much that helps though

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:06 pm

Vacuuming helps quite a bit actually...

Accost
Newborn Bully

Postby Accost » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:31 pm

anyone else?

gigglehush
Adolescent Bully

Postby gigglehush » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:50 pm

I would get some flea killing powder for carpets, couches, pillows, pretty much wherever your dog gets to go...just make sure he/she isn't in the house while you use the product!

Also, if store brand flea shampoo doesn't work ask your vet to recommend something stronger. Good flea shampoo should really help with the problem.

geisthexe
Newborn Bully

Postby geisthexe » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:14 am

They also can be very high in your enviroment outside.

Go to your local hardware store and get some "Seven Dust" Red bag.
It is safe around animals and it will help to kill off fleas, ticks. and more.

Deb

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:44 am

Diatomaceous Earth is safer for use in the house than store bought "flea killing dust". Dust the carpets and furniture with it before vacuuming.
Make sure to wash dogs beds and other bedding in hot water too.
Give a bath using a flea comb to get out and drown as many fleas as you can.

Accost
Newborn Bully

Postby Accost » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:34 am

thanks alot for the tips

drtrider2000
Matured Bully

Postby drtrider2000 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:00 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:Vacuuming helps quite a bit actually...

I was told that the bag on your vacuum is a perfect place for fleas to thrive while not on you or your dog. Years ago, i had a vet that told me to either cut up a fleacollar and place it in the bag, or get some of that flea powder designed for carpets so the dust and dirt in the bag doesn't becomeaFlea Wonderland. Thankfully with consistant use of Advantix, we don't have a flea problem.

Brina Baby
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Brina Baby » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:11 pm

Fleas suck...when we went camping we bought back fleas and did the following to ensure we got rid of them completely, from the dog and from the house.

1. Bombed the house with flea bomber, we purchased the stuff from PetSmart. I mean the whole house and furniture, all the bedrooms, living room, dining room - everywhere the dog had been or laid down in the house.

2. After the bombing....we washed everything, bedsheets, blankets, any clothes not hung up or in drawers, any curtains touching the ground. Washed all the dogs toys that we're not rubber, all her bedding, washed her nylon collars.

3. We also vaccumed extensively afterwards, thankfully we only have carpet in the bedrooms, but vacuumed and since we have a steam cleaner, also washed the carpets.

This took us about one evening to accomplish and the laundry took a day. I know this sounds very extensive, but after that we saw no more fleas. Good luck!

AriesGodofWar
Super Bully

Postby AriesGodofWar » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:30 pm

Go to your vet and ask for Capstar. It will kill all of the adult fleas on your dog (you can actually dose everyday if need be). However, unless you somehow interrupt the life cycle of the fleas, you will shortly be back in the same boat. You can couple Capstar with lufenuron (medication called Program made by Novartis), which is an IGR (Insect Growth Regulator) to break the life cycle of the fleas. This medicine causes any eggs laid by the adult fleas to produce sterile offspring, thus breaking the cycle. Please note, you will still have to make sure you follow the others advice for ridding your home of fleas, because all the medication in the world is useless if you are just substituting one colony for another.

As for anything with Pyrethins, a lot of folks recommend these products as they are derived from a natural source, however, I have never found them to be the most effective method of control.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:44 am

Misskiwi67 wrote: I would recommend something with Pyrethrins, such as Top Spot or Advantix and make sure you apply it correctly, use the correct dosage, and apply EVERY MONTH. .

I'm suprised you've ever found pyrethrins to be even remotely effective on fleas. I've applied it to literally thousands of animals, and never found it to do much other than expose the animal to toxins which many of them are allergic to. I always recommend people stay well away from pyrethrins. (it is effective in some other insecticidal applications, just the fleas have developed immunity to it, because fleas are very good at that)

Last time I had a flea infestation, I found the only way to get rid of it was to use the Frontline Plus every month for a few months, use foggers in the area of the house my cat lives in, and dust the rest of the house.

It may be that a product other than Frontline is needed in your area, though. I would use Advantage if the Frontline wasn't working.

AriesGodofWar
Super Bully

Postby AriesGodofWar » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:48 am

Sarah wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote: I would recommend something with Pyrethrins, such as Top Spot or Advantix and make sure you apply it correctly, use the correct dosage, and apply EVERY MONTH. .

I'm suprised you've ever found pyrethrins to be even remotely effective on fleas. I've applied it to literally thousands of animals, and never found it to do much other than expose the animal to toxins which many of them are allergic to. I always recommend people stay well away from pyrethrins. (it is effective in some other insecticidal applications, just the fleas have developed immunity to it, because fleas are very good at that)

I thought the exact same thing when I read that. :huh?:

Return to “Health Issues”