Help! Blues butt smells like fish.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
fattie
Adolescent Bully

Help! Blues butt smells like fish.

Postby fattie » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:22 pm

:frown: blue smells like fish and i pinpointed the smell to his butt and he's also licking it. could he be sick? what should i do? i wont be able to take him to the vets till 2morro. thanks

luv my fur babies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby luv my fur babies » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:33 pm

It's his anal glands. That has to be one of the worst smells in the universe...I know first hand.

The vet will express his glands (empty the sack), but it might be an on going issue. I used to have to take my pit in about once a month to have it done but she only smells once in awhile now. I usually just have her glands expressed (my vet tech calls it "butt squeeze" lol ) whenever I'm already there with her.

fattie
Adolescent Bully

Postby fattie » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:51 pm

luv my fur babies wrote:It's his anal glands. That has to be one of the worst smells in the universe...I know first hand.

The vet will express his glands (empty the sack), but it might be an on going issue. I used to have to take my pit in about once a month to have it done but she only smells once in awhile now. I usually just have her glands expressed (my vet tech calls it "butt squeeze" lol ) whenever I'm already there with her.
PHEW!!! im glad its nothin serious.

AriesGodofWar
Super Bully

Postby AriesGodofWar » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:58 pm

Yup, I am sure it is the glands. Some groomers will do it as well. I can be really gross. Just please do not try to do it yourself if you do not know what you are doing as you can rupture teh gland. Does your dogs scoot or like it? They will try to express it themselves and sometimes that goes better than others. Especially when they are successful on a much loved area rug.....ewwwwww!

jamesw
Adolescent Bully

Postby jamesw » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:41 am

AriesGodofWar wrote:I can be really gross.
I did not know that about you! roflmao

ReggieGrip
Adolescent Bully

Postby ReggieGrip » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:50 am

i was just about to make a post asking about a similar problem with Ella and noticed this thread!

she, too, gets a fishy/metallic smell coming from her anus from time to time, but it also "leaks" here and there during the time when the stink is present. is this normal? would this also have to do with the anal glands?

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:15 am

yep, that fishy horrible metallic smell is the anal glands. Shades' will leak from time to time. Ick.

fattie
Adolescent Bully

Postby fattie » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:35 pm

yea its kind of gross. ill have it looked at when i take him in a few days to get his nutz chopped off roflmao

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:55 pm

Logan secretes his anal glands on a regular basis and even though it has an odour, it definitely isn't the offensive fishy smell. Molly, on the other hand, rarely does it but when she does, hers totally smells like fish! :yucky:

fattie
Adolescent Bully

Postby fattie » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:47 pm

Deniselynn wrote:Logan secretes his anal glands on a regular basis and even though it has an odour, it definitely isn't the offensive fishy smell. Molly, on the other hand, rarely does it but when she does, hers totally smells like fish! :yucky:

yea its icky. the vet is gunna express his anal glands for me when he neauters him.

KJAX5252
Super Bully

Postby KJAX5252 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:45 am

I'm just curious how often people typically need to have the dogs glands expressed once they have exhibited a problem.
I had both dogs visit the vet tech for this about a month ago and now my lil one seems like she needs a return visit.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:32 am

KJAX5252 wrote:I'm just curious how often people typically need to have the dogs glands expressed once they have exhibited a problem.
I had both dogs visit the vet tech for this about a month ago and now my lil one seems like she needs a return visit.

What kind of food are you feeding?
Dogs should generally empty their anal glands when they defecate. I think there are disorders where dogs cannot do it well enough on their own and sometimes have the glands removed.
I have had to have Shades' glands expressed twice and Jasmine's once by the vet, because they have had infected, impacted glands. They have always received a round of antibiotics afterwards, and generally no problem after that.
If you're having problems with it often, I'd ask your vet about why it is happening.

KJAX5252
Super Bully

Postby KJAX5252 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:29 am

They get Nutro Naturals Venison and Brown Rice dry food with occassional treats of the same in wet. I think maybe it doesnt have enough fiber?

I am considering changing because a local pets store just opened with some different brands though. Its always an issue because my Raisin has a sensitive tum.

My Mojo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby My Mojo » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:31 pm

Anal glands are the most wicked, evil smell I have ever had the priviledge of experiencing. Just fish? How about fish that have set in direct 110 degree summer sunlight for about 2 weeks in a tin can! Bleh..one of the few things I truly dislike about my job :sad:

*shudders at the thought of the next little foo-foo dog with an anal gland office visit*

fattie
Adolescent Bully

Postby fattie » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:21 am

My Mojo wrote:Anal glands are the most wicked, evil smell I have ever had the priviledge of experiencing. Just fish? How about fish that have set in direct 110 degree summer sunlight for about 2 weeks in a tin can! Bleh..one of the few things I truly dislike about my job :sad:

*shudders at the thought of the next little foo-foo dog with an anal gland office visit*

i just switched him fron pedigree puppy chow to TW ocean blue. meh , the smell really doesnt bother me , im a lobsterman so i get to smell good stuff all day long. when he was nuetered the other day the vet express his anal gland and said they were fluidy and looked fine. maybe it was just smelly till he pooped and got it out. hes better now

Return to “Health Issues”