to old neuter

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
dcm150

to old neuter

Postby dcm150 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:33 am

Is there a such thing as too old to nueter??? I have heard it both ways, but he is about two years old. and i would just prefer to have him neutered not only that but its a requirment through the adoption if we adopt him

I wouldnt think that there is since they require you to do it within two weeks of adoption. Just figured i would ask

spammie

Postby spammie » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:39 pm

No, he's not too old...it's never too late to neuter.

amiabull
Newborn Bully

Postby amiabull » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:40 pm

No a dog cannot be to old to neuter provided he is healthy enough to go under anesthesia. We just neutered an 8 year old lab a couple weeks ago at the clinic where I work.

luv my fur babies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby luv my fur babies » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:51 pm

I had my lab neutered when he was 5. The vet did some extra blood work to make sure he was healthy enough to go under. The shelter I volunteer at requires spay/neuter to be adopted, so I've seen dogs in upwards of 10 years old get the surgery. 2 years old isn't old at all! He's still a pup!

dcm150

Postby dcm150 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:46 pm

i didnt figure he was but because ive never had one neutered this old, i thought i would check first.
thanks

AriesGodofWar
Super Bully

Postby AriesGodofWar » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:31 pm

dcm150 wrote:i didnt figure he was but because ive never had one neutered this old, i thought i would check first.
thanks

Just wanted to say thanks for being responsible and looking out for your dog. :thumbsup: There are just too many benefits to say no. Many people will come up with excuses for not altering their animals, but they are all just that, excuses.

Taffys_Angel
Bully Ambassador

Postby Taffys_Angel » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:44 pm

My friend had her male APBT fixed at nine years of age. I've heard of dogs even older than that getting it done. So long as they're healthy and can handle going 'under', it's do-able.

dcm150

Postby dcm150 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:56 pm

Whats bad is its not even our dog, its another pit bull we are thinking of adopting from the local humane society, our 6month old was already spayed which i would have done. I was just trying to get some info on this and other before adopting an older dog.
thanks for all the replies

Return to “Health Issues”