I'm going to be calling the vet today.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

I'm going to be calling the vet today.

Postby chewbecca » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:38 am

So...we went to my parents' for dinner last night and came home like at 745 pm and I let Ella out of her crate. She was REALLY excited to see us, which is normal, but she was whining and running around, so I knew she had to go potty. I took her out and we got like 5 ft onto the lawn and she squatted and out came STRAIGHT liquid poop. It projectiled out of her butt like nothing I've EVER seen come out of my dog. It was pitch black, so I couldn't see it, but I SURE could smell it. She did this about 3 times.

The first thing that popped into my head as to a cause (it was the only thing different she had been given to eat that she doesn't always get) was possibly a Nature's Variety raw pork RMB that I let her gnaw on the night before. I got caught up in an episode of "Dexter", so she got to chew on this bone longer than I normally would have allowed her.

Well, I wiped her hiney off when we got back into the house. She was energetic and wanting to play. But then when we went to bed and put her in her crate, she whined. This isn't unusual for Ella, though.

But she would wake me up on and off all night. Finally at 3 AM, she was barking AND whining louder, so I got up and took her out, feeling awful that I hadn't done it sooner. Again, a few more projectile episodes of diarrhea.

Ben just took her out again and NO diarrhea and she came back in wanting to play. Now she is passed out in her crate, sleeping.

I know I can find dosage amounts for Pepto to give her, but I am going to call the vet and see what they tell me to do. I'm worried about her. She's energetic, but I cannot get her to drink any water. But, that is not unusual for Ella because she's not a huge water drinker unless she's had a workout, which I haven't worked her out today.

Oh, I skipped her dinner last night since she had diarrhea since I wasn't sure if that would irritate her system worse. She has had NO accidents in the house (thank god, and knock on wood), but it's explosive once we get outside. I'm talking straight liquid, no solid what-so-ever in her stool. So, it's not just a "loose stool".

She's not vomitting.

ACK. I'm awful with illness. I was almost in tears watching her go to the bathroom and listening to her whine. Yes, I'm weak like that. I get emotional when my kids are sick, too.

I haven't fed her, though I'm sure she'd eat if I gave her something.
I'm going to wait to see what her vet says. Again, no diarrhea since 3-330 am. I'm hoping it was the bone marrow upsetting her tummy and that she got it out of her system, but something is telling me that her intestines are probably inflamed from that type of diarrhea and I'll probably need to give her something to help her poor irritated intestines.

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:43 am

Aww, poor Ella! Kane has had that before. I thought it was strange how he was running to the door and jumping up on it. I took him out and he, too, went about 5 feet and Bam! I was disgusted!

Hope all goes well. Kane never ended up going to the vet because it only happened once or twice and he was fine otherwise. Hope Ella feels better soon!

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:43 am

Awww poor baby. Good luck and please update as soon as you find something out.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:52 am

h no!!! maybe it was the pork bone that she got tooo much of?? i cant give rufus any pork as he has projectile runs too...

you can give her boiled chicken and rice to soothe her tummy, or plain chicken broth warmed up ..

please let us know what the vet says...

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:57 am

Oh, I will keep you ALL updated, trust me.

The fact that I cannot get her to drink anything is the most concerning part for me. I have a feeling that if she won't drink anything, the vet will tell me to bring her in so they can give her IV fluids. But I don't know how that stuff works.

I'll try some chicken broth after I talk to the vet.

She's all curled up in a tight pit ball in her crate. :frown:

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm a spaz because this is actually upsetting me.
It's the first time Ella has EVER had diarrhea.

She won't eat plain pumpkin either.

spammie

Postby spammie » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:03 am

Hopefully, Ella has passed the last of the bowel demons! Hope all goes well at the vet.

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:43 am

Oh poor Ella! :frown:

We've experienced the very same thing on a few occassions and it is not fun, for the dog or the people. I know our vet has always said withhold all food for 24 hours and then do a couple days of chicken and rice. She does need to drink ... will she eat ice cubes?

If you can, see if Ella wants to snuggle under a blanket or with a hot water bottle - usually helps with the cramping.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:54 am

The instructions I've always gotten was to withhold food for 24 hours (I like to feed some sort of broth though), then introduce a bland diet.

Slippery Elm powder is like a miracle for these types of problems, so if you can get some at a health food store, I would highly recommend it.

picara
Bully Ambassador

Postby picara » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:03 am

Horace diarrheaed in the backseat of my car and then in his crate on Saturday, and the poor fella's been upset all week. Finally this morning his poos looked good. I put him on the bland diet but had to take him off of it because he developed the rash I haven't seen since he started his allergy diet. I hope Ella feels better soon, and try not to over-worry. My vet told me I could give a Pepcid AC every 12 hrs., and immodium as well.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:05 am

diarrhea is soooooo not fun. hope she gets better soon!
I keep THIS on hand for diarrhea. It really helps firm up that stool quickly!!!

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:21 am

you can also get a syringe without a needle and (like to feed squirrels and baby pups) and put water in it and then squirt it into her mouth, this way she has no choice but to drink...

Pineapples
Super Bully

Postby Pineapples » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:27 am

Aww.. Feel better Ella!
I'm sure that if your mum blends a tablespoon of canned yummy in your water you'd feel like drinking some more. :)

concreterose wrote:I keep THIS on hand for diarrhea. It really helps firm up that stool quickly!!!

What is in this? Maybe I'll order some, but if it's labeled as medication in Norway it'll get stopped at customs.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:31 am

Pineapples wrote:Aww.. Feel better Ella!
I'm sure that if your mum blends a tablespoon of canned yummy in your water you'd feel like drinking some more. :)

concreterose wrote:I keep THIS on hand for diarrhea. It really helps firm up that stool quickly!!!

What is in this? Maybe I'll order some, but if it's labeled as medication in Norway it'll get stopped at customs.

scroll down further on the page, it gives you an ingredient list.

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:36 am

damn vet's office.
So...I tell her about Ella's diarrhea (which we've been diarrhea free since 330 this morning) and she goes, "You wanna bring her in then?" I said, "No, not really. If you know of anything that I could give her to drink because she won't drink her water right now..."
She goes, "No, not really."
Me: "So...she'll drink when she's thirsty?"
Her: "Basically."
Me: "er...well, with the diarrhea she's got, I'm afraid she's at least a tad dehydrated. Are you SURE there isn't anything I can give her to encourage her to take in a little fluids??"
Her: "I'm going to have to ask the vet. We're pretty booked up today."
Me: "I said I don't want to bring her in if I don't have to. I just want to know if maybe the vet can tell me something to try and if she doesn't improve, I can bring her in tomorrow or someting".

It's like, don't allow me to waste my breath if you cannot help me.
Take down my info right away and tell me the vet will call me back.

DAMN.

Screw it. I'm going to try some chicken broth. I already tried ice and she won't have nothing to do with it. I'm not worried about the sodium in the chicken broth. If anything, I'm hoping it'll allow her to retain the fluid she's taken in.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:49 am

dilute the chicken broth with water...that will cut down on the salt, plus she will be getting some water as well.

Return to “Health Issues”