I'm going to be calling the vet today.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:23 pm

(((ella))))
paws crossed

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:33 pm

Sounds like she's on the mend. :thumbsup:

IlovemyMONGO
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby IlovemyMONGO » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:03 pm

Darn,
Just saw this post. I was going to tell you the exact same thing the vet did. This is what we told everyone when I worked at the vet about when their dog had the runs.
Glad she is doing better. How scary!

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:26 am

She was drinking her water last night.
She probably had a total 1/2 cup of cooked beef and rice all day.

No more runs. I am going to keep her on beef and rice today and I'm going to stay home with her.
I AM going to attempt a walk with her (provided it's not TOO cold) and see how she does. If she makes it through the walk without a bout of the runs, then we're probably in the clear.

Thanks again, guys. :thumbsup:

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:37 pm

:cheerleader: Rebecca, I am so happy to hear Ella is doing better!

leopardjunkie
Adolescent Bully

Postby leopardjunkie » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:52 pm

Glad she is on the mend...

After the last three months I consider myself the poop expert! HA :peace:

I with hold for 24 hours, then feed Boild Chicken and Rice or Boild Hamberger and rice, with pumpkin mixed in. With the First Meal I add in 1/2 tablet of imodium. I also throw some pedialyte into the food so I don't frequent small meals

If you are still having diareaha after the meal...try feeding them a few hot dog buns, toast or just bread...One of the 3 vets I called last time suggested that one.

Continue with that until u r free & clear

When you switch back to regular food add in pumpkin again as well I like to put water or pedialyte in the food to keep the fluids up... or soak the hot dog bun in the water too!

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:42 am

aw, you guys are ultimately awesome for all the advice.

She won't eat plain pumpkin, but *might* if it's mixed in with her food.
Last night I tried half a cup of kibble after she had already had small amounts of hamburger and rice throughout the day.

So far, so good.

picara
Bully Ambassador

Postby picara » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:19 am

chewbecca wrote:aw, you guys are ultimately awesome for all the advice.

She won't eat plain pumpkin, but *might* if it's mixed in with her food.
Last night I tried half a cup of kibble after she had already had small amounts of hamburger and rice throughout the day.

So far, so good.

sweet potato works as well as pumpkin. I use Gerber baby sweet potato to stuff and freeze allergy-friendly kongs with anyway. After I finish adding a jar to delicious boiled chicken and rice, I fill it with water and shake it up to make sweet-potato juice. Even when Horace wouldn't go anywhere near plain water or ice he would lap that stuff up quick as a normal-pooping dawg!!

meginok
Bully Ambassador

Postby meginok » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:52 am

Sorry to hear Ella was all poopy. :frown: Hopefully you're past it now!

*knock wood* the last three months or so have been GOLDEN, but prior to that, I had more than my share of fun with stinky bodily excretions (Abbie Lou's a puker, and Shamey's belly didn't firm up for the first three months or so we had him!).

I don't get terribly upset about diarrhea or a single instance of vomiting anymore. :dunno: I could only get so excited about it for so long (and yeah, I'm still a pretty paranoid pet mom, doing a complete strip-down in the garage and rushing naked to the shower after coming into contact with shelter dogs or cats lol), but with my two, a little tummy upset hasn't ever been a huge big deal. Barring our terrible food intolerance experiences with Abbie Lou early on, of course.

My vet recommends withholding food for 24 hours. He's not a big fan of the bland diet. The one time I tried it was before we had Lou's allergies/intolerances figured out, and since it turns out she's completely intolerant of rice...well, chicken and rice was a failed experiment.

What has always worked for us is 24 hours no food, followed by a very small meal with a tiny bit of plain pumpkin mixed into their kibble. Next meal is about half of what they normally get, and if the tummy's in good shape, the third meal is normal. Mine usually get over it pretty quickly.

Shamus does have an issue that we finally got ironed out...now sure of the cause, but he needs a probiotic supplement to keep his stool firm. He gets a quarter cup of kefir every other night, and since starting that regiment...well, like I said, three GOLDEN months. :))

Hope ol' Ella sooper-ears is feeling much better now!!!!

IlovemyMONGO
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby IlovemyMONGO » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:10 am

YAY! ELLA!!!! :-) Keep getting better!

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:17 pm

I just did a search and came to this thread. Eve has been feeling bad today. BAD stools w/ what looked like chicken fat after it is cooked and jelled. My boss walked Eve w/ her dog and I guess she had the squirts again and for me tonight :( I fed her earlier in the evening before reading this. Hope that she settles down

I switched food about 1.5-2wks ago and she has been on and off soft and hard but been more hard lately. Not sure how long it will take her tummy to get 100% used to it but i did gradually switch it over.

Hope your pup feels better soon

Lunchbucket[/list]

UrsusArctos
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:40 pm

Lunchbucket- that 'chicken fat' may be some mucas membranes- my dog Oliver has had some in his stool, and he has Giardia. I recommend taking in a fecal to your vet, just to make sure.

Chewbecca! I am glad that Miss Ella is feeling better :)

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:53 pm

UrsusArctos - So how would one get Giardia? She really hasn't been out anywhere lately and it's so freaking cold out I doubt anyting would live.

Lunchbucket

Latinimagexx
Newborn Bully

Postby Latinimagexx » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:52 pm

Lunchbucket wrote:UrsusArctos - So how would one get Giardia? She really hasn't been out anywhere lately and it's so freaking cold out I doubt anyting would live.

Lunchbucket

You can get it by dirty water, food or by being in contact w/another dog with giardia

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:16 pm

stools have been normal since that night :D Just an upset tummy

Lunchbucket

Return to “Health Issues”