Spay and Post-Op Pain Medication

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
cbr117
Newborn Bully

Spay and Post-Op Pain Medication

Postby cbr117 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:19 pm

My vet has asked me if I wanted pain medication for about $20 when I pick up my pup from the vet later (she got spayed this morning). Are they just trying to make a sale or is something I should probably buy? Thanks!

Linariel
Addicted to PBF

Postby Linariel » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:24 pm

Would you want pain medication if you had a hysterectomy? That's what she had done.

sw_df27
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby sw_df27 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:38 pm

they didn't even offer me pain meds when I had alexis done but she acted just fine the next day...... but if it was my choice I would get them

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:17 pm

dogs who receive pain medication following surgery heal more quickly and with fewer complications. pain = stress. stress = harder for the body to heal.

cbr117
Newborn Bully

Postby cbr117 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:26 pm

I bought it. Thanks everyone!

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:30 pm

I've never been offered pain meds. Sounds like a good idea, though. Loki in particular went through a lot of discomfort after her spay.

Timas Mom
Matured Bully

Postby Timas Mom » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:04 pm

Most vets also offer metacam which not only is a pin releiver but an anti inflammatory drug.

Very good post op. Its not an option with where I work, its inluded in the cost of the sx.

cbr117
Newborn Bully

Postby cbr117 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:01 pm

I got Rimadyl, also an anti-inflammatory

Latinimagexx
Newborn Bully

Postby Latinimagexx » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:25 pm

usually we tell our clients that if they have meds for the pain it may cause them to run around and houseplay which may cause them to tear the suture. Which me spending more money. We give clients the option on whether or not they would like them for there pet. I personally would not get them for my dog because I wouldn't want her to tear the suture.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:40 pm

Latinimagexx wrote:usually we tell our clients that if they have meds for the pain it may cause them to run around and houseplay which may cause them to tear the suture. Which me spending more money. We give clients the option on whether or not they would like them for there pet. I personally would not get them for my dog because I wouldn't want her to tear the suture.

Really? Its better to have an animal in pain?? I think this is a ridiculous argument, there is no reason to encourage an animal to be ill... we're trying to do the exact opposite in veterinary medicine. Just because an animal is stoic doesn't mean they should suffer. Ask a woman who had a hysterectomy how many days it took her to get out of bed and what kind of pain medications they were on. I think its incredible that our dogs get by with the equivalent of extra-strength aspirin, let alone nothing at all!

Latinimagexx
Newborn Bully

Postby Latinimagexx » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:36 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
Latinimagexx wrote:usually we tell our clients that if they have meds for the pain it may cause them to run around and houseplay which may cause them to tear the suture. Which me spending more money. We give clients the option on whether or not they would like them for there pet. I personally would not get them for my dog because I wouldn't want her to tear the suture.

Really? Its better to have an animal in pain?? I think this is a ridiculous argument, there is no reason to encourage an animal to be ill... we're trying to do the exact opposite in veterinary medicine. Just because an animal is stoic doesn't mean they should suffer. Ask a woman who had a hysterectomy how many days it took her to get out of bed and what kind of pain medications they were on. I think its incredible that our dogs get by with the equivalent of extra-strength aspirin, let alone nothing at all!

Well from what i see from when we do spay/neuters is that the dogs looks as though they are in no pain. As soon as they wake up from anesthesia they are running around.

Return to “Health Issues”