Chunkin' on the lbs...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
sarallyn
Bully Ambassador

Chunkin' on the lbs...

Postby sarallyn » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:56 pm

Anyone else let their pit bull chunk on a few pounds for winter?
I'll let Gracie gain a couple pounds.
She'll still stay active, she'll just pack on some blubber for the winter season.

:))

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:58 pm

I've been feeding up the pups like crazy, partly because of winter, and partly to give them more "substance" for the shows. lol

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Re:

Postby InBearsMemory » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:13 pm

Right here but not in a "beer belly touching the floor" kinda way either. I just feed a little bit more throughout the winter because it can get rather cold around here.

Rob

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:42 pm

I usually let the dogs gain about 2-3 lbs or so for winter. Don't know how much of a difference it makes. :dunno:

pitbullcrazy30
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pitbullcrazy30 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:48 pm

yeah we put some weight on bruno in the winter too, it gets cold in north dakota :frown:

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:51 pm

I'm trying to take a few pounds off Veronica.

Funny how those finicky eaters can develop a damn fine appetite right under your nose :oops:

sarallyn
Bully Ambassador

Postby sarallyn » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:27 pm

Glad I'm not the only one to do this...

I mean, Gracie has coats and sweaters, but a little padding never hurts! (Notice I said a little, not a lot, ahaha).

Watch, Gracie will probably turn out like this:

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:10 pm

Soleil is very hard to put weight on, she gets sick if I increase her feed too much. Compound that w/my keeping my house quite cool, and she really needs to add weight. I'm happy, because she's now able to eat the larger meals (almost doubled), and is gaining a few ounces a week. She was barely 27# in October, she was 28.2 last weekend, so we're moving in the right direction. I'm trying to get her to about 31-32.

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:20 pm

Jazzy wrote:I'm trying to take a few pounds off Veronica.

Funny how those finicky eaters can develop a damn fine appetite right under your nose :oops:

Same here! It's funny how I'm trying to get Kane back down to the weight he was when I first got him! I have no idea how he gained so much (about 6-7 lbs)... probably all those bad bad treats I was stuffing him with, before I knew better! :oops: We've finally lost a couple lbs, and I'm trying for just a couple more to be nice, and now winter is here! Damn!

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:39 pm

pitbullcrazy30 wrote:yeah we put some weight on bruno in the winter too, it gets cold in north dakota :frown:

I'm w/ you. I'm in South Dakota and Eve gets quite cold even w/ sweaters. I keep the house about 68-69 which is cool sometimes also.

I'm not sure if she will eat much more at a sitting. Might have to feed her more snacks or an extra (3rd) meal inbetween.

Any suggestions on how to put on a little. Eve gets sick if I increase the food too much. She is naturally lean w/ a pretty high metabolism.

Lunchbucket

sarallyn
Bully Ambassador

Postby sarallyn » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:07 pm

Lunchbucket wrote:
pitbullcrazy30 wrote:yeah we put some weight on bruno in the winter too, it gets cold in north dakota :frown:

I'm not sure if she will eat much more at a sitting. Might have to feed her more snacks or an extra (3rd) meal inbetween.

Any suggestions on how to put on a little. Eve gets sick if I increase the food too much. She is naturally lean w/ a pretty high metabolism.

Lunchbucket

Gracie won't eat more at one sitting. Even if I gave her an extra meal, she sometimes turns her nose up to it. Sometimes she even skips meals...

What I do is just increase the fat and calorie intake with treats. Bones are excellent. I do Oma's marrow bones... those can be extra fatty.

TorchedStang
Newborn Bully

Postby TorchedStang » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:15 am

My mom keeps hinting around that she wants to get Shelby a sweater or coat for the winter ha I dont know though. Shes just a pup, and pretty slender..but I am sure she would be all for the "chunkin" up if it were up to her. Personally, I rather enjoy that she wants to make her bathroom trips quick ha.

nygemma
Matured Bully

Postby nygemma » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:33 am

What is the average weight for a 2yr old male?
Cesar is btwn 65-70 lbs (based on last vet visit)
He seems fine, I feed him all he wants, sometimes he eats alot, sometimes he leaves it.
Is he supposed to weigh more?

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:55 am

65-70 is large for this breed. Of course a bigger dog will weight more, so it all depends on your boy.

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:07 am

nygemma wrote:What is the average weight for a 2yr old male?
Cesar is btwn 65-70 lbs (based on last vet visit)
He seems fine, I feed him all he wants, sometimes he eats alot, sometimes he leaves it.
Is he supposed to weigh more?

Off the bat, that seems a little big, but it all depends on your dog. Is he proportionate? Does he look too "fat" or like he could lose some weight? If he looks too big, you may want to consider not free-feeding.

Return to “Health Issues”