Chunkin' on the lbs...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Pineapples
Super Bully

Postby Pineapples » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:28 am

No, I don't fatten up for winter. And it gets to about -20 celcius here (-4 fahrenheit?). I keep'em like this:

I have never seen the need to fatten them up. As long as they keep moving my dogs don't get cold. For extra long walks, or for training where he stands still a lot, I'll put something on him on the colder days. Or bring a coat along in case he needs it.

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:50 am

PINEAPPLES!
More Toddel pics! Sorry, I don't have access to put the little accent mark over the "o" in his name.
I LOVE that dog.

I've been considering adding some extra food to Ella's diet. But she appears to be decent now.
She weighs about 55 lbs.

Is it normal to be able to feel their spine sticking out when they're curled up on a ball?
Because I can feel Ella's and it kind of freaks me out.

But she's nice and lean and muscular where she needs to be. I'd still like to build up her chest and shoulders a bit, but I cannot get her to walk on the treadmill.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:54 am

nygemma wrote:What is the average weight for a 2yr old male?
Cesar is btwn 65-70 lbs (based on last vet visit)
He seems fine, I feed him all he wants, sometimes he eats alot, sometimes he leaves it.
Is he supposed to weigh more?

What does your vet think about his weight?
In my dogs, I like to see the last two ribs, generally.
My 4 y/o males are 45-48 lbs.

KJAX5252
Super Bully

Postby KJAX5252 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:57 am

I can feel Brady's spine when he curls up.
It also freaked me out a bit but the vet said he is fine. @ 82lbs.

I think it is normal and just due to the natural curvature of the spine.

Wooderson
Super Bully
Location: Kiev, Ukraine, around the corner from the Republic Stadium, near the downtown MegaMart

Postby Wooderson » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:50 am

I don't let Redhead gain any winter weight; especially coming off CCL surgery, I want to keep as much weight as possible off his repaired knee.

sarallyn
Bully Ambassador

Postby sarallyn » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:17 am

yeah, I wouldn't let Gracie gain any weight if it wasn't 65 degrees in my house (plus drafts). it's a VERY old historic home, and they didn't seem to make insulation in the 1600's.
needless to say, we're not insulating my home anytime soon, so I guess I'll have to insulate Gracie.
:))

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:53 am

sicily has been doing good with the cold so far even though we've only gotten down to the high 20's so far. she has a hoodie and a jacket but she really doesnt seem to need them. i dont think i'll change her diet at all even though she's kinda slim @ 42 lbs.

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:14 pm

Hmm..I guess this brings of the questions of conditioning, % body fat, genetics, etc. Eve is 10 months old and 55lbs. She is not fat and quite lean but not ripped like the older dogs you see. I want her to stay lean but not be ripped...don't want to harm her growth being so young. Supposedly her parents both were around 75-80lbs but I'm not sure I believe that. I want to condition her down lean when she is older but when is she old enough that it won't harm her growth?

Sorry but I thought while we were sort of on the topic I'd ask

I work in the fitness industry and have done a lot of body fat work. Anyone know what %BF those lean ripped dogs have? What is average?

Lunchbucket

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:20 pm

For those of you that live in cold climates (winter being between -5 and -30C), do you notice that it takes more food for your dog to maintain weight?

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:30 pm

pitgrrl wrote:For those of you that live in cold climates (winter being between -5 and -30C), do you notice that it takes more food for your dog to maintain weight?

Isn't that because they metabolize more trying to keep their body temperature up?

That's what I've been told, anyway.

KJAX5252
Super Bully

Postby KJAX5252 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:43 pm

Mike, I think Sicily looks great in the photo. She has a nice defined waist and looks perfectly proportional!

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:36 pm

chewbecca wrote:
pitgrrl wrote:For those of you that live in cold climates (winter being between -5 and -30C), do you notice that it takes more food for your dog to maintain weight?

Isn't that because they metabolize more trying to keep their body temperature up?

That's my guess, it was just never noticeable before, probably because they were a bit chunky in the past lol

sarallyn
Bully Ambassador

Postby sarallyn » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:41 pm

chewbecca wrote:

Yeah, well, they have to burn more calories to keep the body tempersture up.

sarallyn
Bully Ambassador

Postby sarallyn » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:42 pm

sarallyn wrote:
chewbecca wrote:

Yeah, well, they have to burn more calories to keep the body tempersture up.

Temperature*

Well, that's my specualtion, anywho!

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:22 pm

Only hard part is that in the really cold climates they don't get outside as much or for as long so they burn less calories from exercise.

Lunchbucket

Return to “Health Issues”