my dogs paws

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
mikaela051287
Newborn Bully

Postby mikaela051287 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:23 pm

yeah, well i didn't really know that it was bad. i mean, i go to the store, and i try to find the one that looks like it's the best, but what do i know?
i'm not even sure where i'm supposed to get these other brands? i go to a co op in my area, and it has a pet store, a pretty big one, but i don't remember seeing any of these brands listed...and its pretty extensive and not selling any of the 'crappy' foods (i get the eukanbuba elsewhere because i thought it was a better one)

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:21 am

Don't get overwhelmed or anything. You were doing what you thought was best, nothing wrong with that at all.

You could either go to the stores around your house and check out the brands they have, then come back here and list them if you want other people's opinions/advice.

The other thing is to check out the food companys' websites, most have a store locater to help you find their foods in your area.

makedonce78
Newborn Bully

Postby makedonce78 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:42 am

pitgrrl wrote:Don't get overwhelmed or anything. You were doing what you thought was best, nothing wrong with that at all.

You could either go to the stores around your house and check out the brands they have, then come back here and list them if you want other people's opinions/advice.

The other thing is to check out the food companys' websites, most have a store locater to help you find their foods in your area.

+1 on all, especially checking out the websites of the food companies and their store locators. Thats how I found the little family owned pet stores that carry better stuff :thumbsup:

mikaela051287
Newborn Bully

Postby mikaela051287 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:13 pm

also guys, fyi, and i didn't see that any of you had written this, but my vet just called to confirm my appointment for tomorrow, and he said for skin irritation/swelling/itching/etc a really great way to ease the dog's pain or whatever it is, is to soak the affected area in black tea.
he's a homeopathic vet...and he said he did this when his dog developed a severe dermatitis, and it worked like a charm.
bones hates getting his feet touched, but when i put his paw in the black tea, he rested it there and even put his head on my shoulder...which gives me hope that maybe it at least felt a little bit good.

i'm also sorry if my reaction to the dog food comment seemed a bit snappy, i certainly did not mean for it to come off that way. i have to admit, i am a bit overwhelmed by all of it, and ever since joining this site, i've learned a lot. and it's been really, really great, but it also makes me question the decisions i was making prior to my joining.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:20 pm

Honestly, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has almost been reduced to tears trying to navigate dog foods, people's opinions on foods, company's ads for food, price of food, accessibility of food. It can all be a bit much and everyone seems to have different, but very strong, ideas on the matter lol

You're lucky to have a homeopathic vet, let us know what the outcome is after the appointment :thumbsup:

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:27 pm

mikaela051287 wrote:also guys, fyi, and i didn't see that any of you had written this, but my vet just called to confirm my appointment for tomorrow, and he said for skin irritation/swelling/itching/etc a really great way to ease the dog's pain or whatever it is, is to soak the affected area in black tea.
he's a homeopathic vet...and he said he did this when his dog developed a severe dermatitis, and it worked like a charm.
bones hates getting his feet touched, but when i put his paw in the black tea, he rested it there and even put his head on my shoulder...which gives me hope that maybe it at least felt a little bit good.

That is great knowledge to have Thanks for sharing that with us!

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:27 pm

since your vet is a homiopath maybe he can suggest a food better suited to your dog's needs/issue??
your not the only one overwhelmed by food, it is a cosntant souce of irritaiton for me, between feeding raw, kibble or home cooked.

mikaela051287
Newborn Bully

Postby mikaela051287 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:32 pm

yeah, last time he actually wanted to put bones on a raw diet, but then gave me some different food because of his allergies--he was getting dermatitis on his belly/groin area, and underneath his arms. the food cleared it up, but then bones began refusing to eat it.
hopefully, tomorrow will bring on more helpful suggestions and an end to this issue.

makedonce78
Newborn Bully

Postby makedonce78 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:03 pm

mikaela051287 wrote:yeah, last time he actually wanted to put bones on a raw diet, but then gave me some different food because of his allergies--he was getting dermatitis on his belly/groin area, and underneath his arms. the food cleared it up, but then bones began refusing to eat it.
hopefully, tomorrow will bring on more helpful suggestions and an end to this issue.

wow...you are so lucky!!! The first time I even mentioned raw food to my vet, I heard only bad things..............not that I believed it, anyways :))

mikaela051287
Newborn Bully

Postby mikaela051287 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:14 pm

i know, right? now, the next thing i have to do is start thinking about the food i'm putting into my OWN body. my dog is living like a king, but i tend to forget about myself...

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:19 pm

mikaela051287 wrote:i know, right? now, the next thing i have to do is start thinking about the food i'm putting into my OWN body. my dog is living like a king, but i tend to forget about myself...

yes you do, because he needs you to keep him living like a king, not sick yourself!
I often have people tell me, "eeegads, you eat so healthy, how do you do it"
my baisc answer is , " my dogs need me so I must do the best I can to ensure I am here for them."
now about that tea treatment,
was it loose black tea or is tea in a bag alright to use
did you have to boil the tea first
it must be the tannic acid in the tea that helps?

mikaela051287
Newborn Bully

Postby mikaela051287 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:24 pm

i actually just put a bag of earl grey in, warmed it up enough to steep it but didn't boil it, and soaked his paws in it. the redness has already gone down a bit, but not too significantly, but then again, just did it about 45 minutes ago.
i would guess you're right about the tannic acid? oh god though, i have no clue.
but something does it...

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:43 pm

I thoguht I had heard it is good for sprains adn puffy eyes too?
But anyway, one of my dogs has weepy eyes, and she is on a aw diet(never changed on raw, kibble or home cooked) so I wonder if the tea would hep her eyes?
anyone?

mikaela051287
Newborn Bully

Postby mikaela051287 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:39 am

an update:

the problem with his paws is a skin allergy. my vet did an allergy test, and i'll get the results next week. we also switched his food. now he's eating a mixture of wet and dry. the dry food is potato/venison Royal Canin, and the wet is IVD (Innovative Veterinary Diets) also flavored potato and venison. He loves it! He also got switched over to hypoallergenic treats--Purina Gentle Snackers.
He's on medicine for the allergies, 6 pills a day of Hydroxyzine, and also I'm putting powder in between his paws which is Neo-Predef.
anyways.... just letting you all know! and thank you SO much for all the help!

makedonce78
Newborn Bully

Postby makedonce78 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:44 am

glad he is about to be better and out of his misery :thumbsup:

Return to “Health Issues”