Timberwolf ingredient changes...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Timberwolf ingredient changes...

Postby jlphilli » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:53 pm

Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but it was brought to my attention on another board that TWO not only changed their name, but also changed the ingredients in their formulas for the worst (but while using cheaper ingredients decided to increase the price?)

Examples:

**"New" Wild and Natural:
Chicken Meal, Chicken, Chicken Fat, Dried Potato Product, Salmon Meal, Natural Flavors, Salmon Oil, Dried Egg Product, Dried Kelp, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Dried Carrots, Dried Celery, Dried Beets, Dried Parsley, Dried Lettuce, Dried Watercress, Dried Spinach, Dried Tomato Pomace, DL-Methionine, Dried Whey Product, Casein, etc

**"Old" Wild and Natural:
Chicken Meal, Fresh Chicken, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and rosemary extract), Low Ash Salmon Meal, Potatoes, Sardine/Mackerel/Anchovy/Tuna Oils (preserved with mixed tocopherols and rosemary extract) Eggs, Dried Chicken Liver, Dried Whole Milk, Dried Whey Extract, Kelp, Alfalfa Leaf, etc
---------------------------

**"New" Ocean Blue:
White Fish Meal, Salmon, Dried Potato Product, Chicken Fat, Salmon Oil, Natural Flavors, Dried Apples, Dried Blueberries, Dried Cranberries, Dried Figs, Ground Thyme, Ground Anise Seed, Ground Cinnamon, Ground Fenugreek, Dried Garlic, Ground Sunflower Seeds, Ground Sesame Seeds, Dried Kelp, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Dried Whey Product, Casein, Dried Carrots, Dried Celery, Dried Beets, Dried Parsley, Dried Lettuce, Dried Watercress, Dried Spinach,etc

**"Old" Ocean Blue:
Low Ash White Fish Meal, Salmon, Potatoes, Sardine/Mackerel/Anchovy/Tuna Oils, Kelp, Alfalfa Leaf, Potassium Chloride, Amaranth, Carrot, Watercress, Spinach, Celery, Parsley, Fennel Seed, Blueberries, Cranberries, Pears, Figs, Thyme, Anise Seed, Ground Cinnamon Bark, Fenugreek, Garlic Pieces, Sunflower Seeds, Sesame Seeds, Apples, Taurine, Spirulina, etc

Odd for the addition of "chicken fat" to Ocean Blue (and their Dakota Bison formula--not listed here) and also the use of "potato product" (new) vs "potatoes" (old) and "egg product" vs "eggs."

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:57 pm

Also, they added "egg product" to the Dakota Bison formula (which it did not originally have). So for those feeding it w/ a dog allergic to eggs, beware!

**"New" Dakota Bison
Bison, Salmon Meal, Ground Millet, Ground Brown Rice, Oat Groats, Chicken Fat, Sweet Potatoes, Salmon Oil, Dried Apples, Dried Cranberries, Dried Figs, Ground Thyme, Ground Anise Seed, Natural Flavors, Dried Carrots, Dried Celery, Dried Beets, Dried Parsley, Dried Lettuce, Dried Watercress, Dried Spinach, Dried Egg Product, L-Lysine, Tomato Pomace, Dried Whey Extract, Dried Casein, etc

**"Old" Dakota Bison
Fresh Bison Meat, Salmon Meal, Millet, Sweet Potatoes, Oats, Flaxseed, Carrot, Watercress, Spinach, Celery, Parsley, Fennel Seed, Wild Salmon Oil, Atlantic Kelp, Alfalfa, Potassium Chloride, Amaranth, Currants, Cranberries, Pears, Figs, Thyme, Anise Seed, Ground Cinnamon Bark, Fenugreek, Garlic Pieces, Sunflower Seeds, Sesame Seeds, Apples, Chicory Root, Spirulina, Choline Chloride, Lecithin, Probiotics: (Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Lactis, Bacillus Bifidum, Streptococcus Diacetilactis, Bacillus Subtillus), Taurine, etc

artemiss
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby artemiss » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:19 pm

:po: :crybaby: :sad:
another one bites the dust..this isn't what I feed, but I had HOPED to one day have someone close enough selling it to one day try it.

Why does every $%##$ food have to use chicken or chicken parts?!?!?

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:25 pm

artemiss wrote::po: :crybaby: :sad:
another one bites the dust..this isn't what I feed, but I had HOPED to one day have someone close enough selling it to one day try it.

Why does every $%##$ food have to use chicken or chicken parts?!?!?

I agree....I have never liked this company due to all of the wishy-washyness that everyone has seen. This is just another reason why I will never trust my dog's health to this company.

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:45 pm

That kinda sucks. I've fed TW before. Snoopy really liked it and did really well on it, too.
I guess it's a good thing that TW is just a smidge out of my price range right now. lol

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:51 pm

From another forum:

" They've also replaced the selenium proteinate in the lamb and apple formula to sodium selenite which is toxic. That tears it! We're switching to Honest Kitchen or something. No way we're paying all that money for inferior products! "

I will look into this further, but it's not pointing TWO in a better direction...

Melody
Forum Junky

Postby Melody » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:58 pm

Does it say anything about the Elk & Salmon? Thats what I feed now. If I could find something the dogs did well on, I'd switch...but they are doing so awesome on the TW. I don't want to feed them poor quality food, and still pay a ridiculous price for it.

makedonce78
Newborn Bully

Postby makedonce78 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:36 am

TW and Orijen hold almost the same price for their foods. Isnt Orijen better or is it the protein levels making you guys not buy that food?

amyd
Bully Ambassador

Postby amyd » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:37 am

I sent an email out to the company. I am waiting to hear back from them

Jeank
Adolescent Bully

Postby Jeank » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:04 pm

Well that's disappointing, I've been feeding Ocean Blue because one of my dogs has poultry allergies, but I guess I'll be switching now (And they did so well on TW).... When did they change the ingredients? My bag still has the original ingredients. I think I'll send an email too. :frown:

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:23 pm

Jeank wrote:Well that's disappointing, I've been feeding Ocean Blue because one of my dogs has poultry allergies, but I guess I'll be switching now (And they did so well on TW).... When did they change the ingredients? My bag still has the original ingredients. I think I'll send an email too. :frown:

Why would you switch foods before you tried the new formulation? If your allergy pup can still tolerate it, wouldn't it be easier to keep feeding it to him than trying to find a new food?

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:28 pm

amyd wrote:I sent an email out to the company. I am waiting to hear back from them

don't hold your breath waiting to hear back from them
maybe you will get lucky and get an answere , hope so anyway!

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:40 pm

fact is, you who feed it (me included) could have been feeding your dog the new formulas without even knowing it.

TW claims they have 6 months to change the ingredients listing on their bags.

Nice.
This irritates me for all of those out there with allergy dogs.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:22 pm

From another forum:

"Just called TWO. They confirmed that the ingredients on the website is correct. It IS what is in my bags of food. Even though the ingredients are listed differently on the bag. They are using up the old packaging. The ingredients on the old packaging is not whats in the bag.

I became so irritated with the man I spoke with I cut the conversation short. He was talking in circles, he knew nothing about the formulas. He told me that the formula had not changed, but that they had to list the ingredients different per AFCO. I then asked him what was the name of Brewers Yeast and chicken fat, citric acid, rosemary extract etc in the previous formula. He couldn't tell me."

So they are using new ingredients in bags w/ the old ingredients listed? Wow...just wow.[/i]

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:25 pm

Wait, I am confused. So, the ingredients have changed or they haven't? I have heard so many people say their customer service sucks and this certainly doesn't change that fact.

Return to “Health Issues”